On screen keyboard generated password rejected by Bank after saved in 1P4 [online keypad issue]

Options
NK77
NK77
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

Hello All.

I am having problems with an on screen keyboard password entry Bank site. The WP Bank will not accept the filled in saved data as correct. Any ideas anyone?

Maverick and Firefox beta extensions..

NK77

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I have a couple of sites that limit passwords to some limit that is smaller than the length I set in the password generator. Those sites won't accept my login if I let 1Password autofill my password, but they do work if I cut the password out and paste it into the password field. Once I shorten the password the the maximum length permitted by the site, I am then able to login automatically. Some of these sites do not tell users what the maximum permitted password length is.

So, I suggest checking your password length. Maybe that will help you. At least I hope so.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @NK77,

I hope @hawkmoth's suggestion for checking your password length with that site helped resolve the problem with 1Password there.

Some sites, like Capital One 360, use entry keypads with an issue that @MikeT previously commented on:

The Keypad is usually using a special technology that doesn't allow others to read the data or fill in the data. I assume CapitolOne is using that technology and thus, 1Password couldn't save/fill it.

After entering a password on the https://businessonline.westpac.com.au/esis/Login/SrvPage page using its keypad I am able to save a Login item with that password and fill with it later, but without an account there can't verify whether or not it'll actually accept the login.

However… it does appear its keypad will generate different data in the Password field on different page visits so filling with a previously saved password would enter incorrect data that isn't going to work. In that case my suggestion would be to disable autosubmit for the Login item used with that page so that it can still fill customer ID field, then you can manually enter your password with the keypad and submit after that. You can open the item in an anchored 1Password mini window with its password temporarily revealed so you can see it during keypad entry. And if your actual password is getting filled you'll have to clear it before using the keypad for entering it. Or create a separate item just for your actual password, then remove the password from the item that fills the customer ID.

I'm sorry I don't have a better solution to offer since 1Password can't directly interact with those online keypads.

• NK77
    NK77
    Community Member
    Options

Hello sjk

Many thanks for confirming in great detail what I could only suspect. I think you are all doing a great job with supporting 1Password users and there is no need to apologize for shortcomings that are not of your making !

• NK77
    NK77
    Community Member
    Options

Hello hawkmoth

Thank you for replying. This is a site that limits the length of the password but that is not the problem . The Bank has successfully prevented automated log ins such as 1P4 or so it seems.. (read sjk's reply)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your kind words, @NK77. :)

It's possible 1Password will eventually handle online keypads and other alternate input methods that more sites could be throwing our way but there's currently no time frame for this.

This discussion has been closed.