Filling Logins on websites that use pop-up login windows.

Options
bjspiers
bjspiers
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

I've set up a login for a forum, it all works great on the ipad, if I click the website URL in 1password it takes me there and logs me in, however, when I do the same on my iMac it just takes me to the website and doesn't log me in? Bot URLs in 1password on iPad and mac are the same.

I've used the site before on the mac pre 1password and auto saved my username and password, is it this causing the problem?
Barry

Comments

• bjspiers
    bjspiers
    Community Member
    Options

OK, just tried to set up a login for this forum on my mac. I went to the website, put in my UN and password, 1password asked if I wanted to store the info and I clicked yes.

It stored the Agilebits URL, UN and password but when I use the mini or the 1PW interface to log in it just takes me to discussion.agilebits.com and doesn't log me in? What am I doing wrong guys?

Barry

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bjspiers,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting 1Password to fill in for you right now. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. First of all, I have a few follow-up questions:

• Is this behaviour restricted to the forum site alone, or is 1Password having trouble filling on multiple sites?
    • What browser are you using?
    • What is the version number of 1Password that you have installed, and the version number of the extension?

Finally, I'd like you to take a look through our 1Password fails to fill data article to see if any of the tips there help.

• bjspiers
    bjspiers
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Megan, yes it just seems to happen on a few sites, version numbers are as follows:

Browser - safari 7.0.3

1password version - 4.2.2 down loaded from agilebits website yesterday.

I don't know how to get the version number of the extension?

Barry

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bjspiers,

The version number of the extension is found in the browser's extension pane. In Safari please check in Preferences > Extensions.

I'm also curious to know if the article I linked to above helped at all!

• bjspiers
    bjspiers
    Community Member
    Options

Got it, 1pw extensions is version 4.1.0, I will try to delete this forum from 1pw and try to save it again.......

• bjspiers
    bjspiers
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Just deleted this forum from 1pw, I then tried to save it from the browser, it saved it but it still won't load automatically. I then tried to load it manually into 1pw logins, it saved but still won't open and load UN and PW?

Megan - the article dident help really.....

Barry

• bjspiers
    bjspiers
    Community Member
    Options

The URL I'm using in 1pw for this forum is http://discussions.agilebits.com/

Is that correct?

Barry

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Barry,

Please try using this site: http://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin it should work better both for your Mac and on 1Browser in 1Password 4 for iOS.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Barry ( @bjspiers‌ )

I'm sorry that the article didn't help you out there. Let's try installing the beta version of the extension to see if it is able to fill sites better for you:

• Open Safari.
    • Click Safari > Preferences in the menu bar.
    • Click the Extensions tab.
    • Click "Uninstall" for the 1Password 4 extension.
    • Restart your Mac.
    • Launch Safari and visit the following page: https://agilebits.com/browsers/index.html
    • Click the 'Feeling adventurous? Enable betas' option
    • Click the big green button, and follow the instructions on the new page to install the extension.
  • bjspiers
    bjspiers
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Thanks Megan, that worked.. ^:)^

Ive loaded 20 odd logins and they are all working except 2, rcgroups and my adobe. It is obvious now that I was using the wrong url to allow the auto login to work so the 2 that are not working must be that, I'm not seeing the website sub domain in my url bar on iPad or mac since I updated the software, is there a way of turning this on so I can copy/paste the correct login url?
    thanks for your help,
    Barry

• bjspiers
    bjspiers
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, the beta version didn't work on those 2 sites above either, I'm pretty sure its a url issue, I will have a play to see if I can sort it out.

thanks

barry

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Barry ( @bjspiers‌ )

I'm sorry that the beta extension didn't make your life any easier with those two sites. Here's something else that you can try: often when a Login isn't behaving properly, saving a new Login manually can be the best way to make it work. Let's try this:

• Edit the login that you currently have for this website by appending an "Old" to the title - just so you can tell them apart.
    • Visit the site and fill in the fields you want filled. Do NOT click the login button.
    • Click the 1Password extension, and unlock it if necessary.
    • Click the gear icon (or vault icon if multiple vaults are enabled) in the upper right corner.
    • Select Save new login.
    • Give the entry a unique and identifiable title.
    • Click Save.
    • Revisit the site and see if 1Password fills in the site correctly.

If that doesn't work, could you let us know the site's address so we can test it?

• bjspiers
    bjspiers
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan, I tried that but it didn't work. One of the offending websites is http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php

Barry

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Barry ( @bjspiers )

Thanks for sending that URL along. The main page there will give you trouble because the Login information is hidden in a pop-up. 1Password can't fill this automatically, because it can't "see" the pop-up until it is clicked. To log in automatically on this site, please try changing the URL to this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/login.php?do=login. Finding an alternative log-in site is a great way to work around websites that use this pop-up Login screen. :)

• bjspiers
    bjspiers
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Megan, yes, that URL worked, thank you. Can you tell me how you find the appropriate login URL for sites like this, I tried but couldent find it!
    Barry

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Barry ( @bjspiers‌ )

I'm so glad to hear that got things working for this particular site. Unfortunately, ever site seems to be designed just a little bit differently. Not all websites that use pop-up login screens will have an alternative login page, you kind of have to poke around a bit inside the site itself to see if there's one available. Sometimes when you log out of the site you will be re-directed to a site with a login option.

If a site like this does not have an alternate login page, 1Password won't be able to fill completely automatically, but you can still use ⌘\ once the pop-up screen is open to have 1Password fill and submit. Here's how the flow would be:

• Navigate to the website you wish to log in to
    • Click the 'Log In' button to show the pop-up
    • Use ⌘\ to have 1Password fill and submit your login information.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any further questions!

• curiousbadger
    curiousbadger
    Community Member
    Options

Good answers.

It is a shame web developers fail basic usability principles - popup boxes are bad for core functionality like login several reasons. Breaking web applications so what should be pages don't have urls is extremely lame - not having a login url for example.

This discussion has been closed.