Master Password does not work-Details in Post.

Options
EdT3
EdT3
Community Member

I downloaded both 1Password for iMac and the iPhone app on Wednesday April 2nd. I set up my iMac first, set up and changed my primary mail account password, and then decided I would set up the iPhone app. I entered the same master password I had for my iMac ( and retyped it in the confirm box ) and then started to look around. I found a button that said 'Sync' and pressed it without first setting up an icloud or Dropbox vault. The app said 'syncing' for a considerable time, and then the app closed. Since then my master password has not worked on the iphone. I went to the website and tried clicking support, but the support help assumes you can unlock the app to send troubleshooting data, which I can't. I tried sending an email, but have not gotten a reply. The iMac version is working fine, and since then I have created a Dropbox vault. But I can't get into, so I can't use, the iPhone app. Since I hadn't set anything up I wouldn't lose anything if I could just uninstall and reinstall the app from the phone, but I don't know if I can and I'm afraid if I try I may make the situation worse. I have an iPhone 4s 32 gig with IOS 7.1 as the OS. Since I used generate password when I changed my mail account password I don't have access to that account on my phone, although it is ok on my iMac. But the email account I used as my primary contact when signing up for 1password is the one I cannot use on my phone right now. Do I have any options for re-installing the app on my phone?

Comments

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @EdT3,

Please start over with 1Password on your iPhone, then re-install and setup sync with your Mac:

1. Uninstall the 1Password app completely from the iOS device.
    2. Remove a copy of your 1Password data that may be stored in the iCloud with these instructions.
    3. Setup sync on 1Password for Mac.
    4. Install a new copy of 1Password for iOS from the Purchased section of your App Store app on your iPhone.
    5. Open 1Password for iOS and you should see the Welcome Tour. From there, tap I’ve used 1Password Before and sync with your source of 1Password data set on the Mac.

Please let me know if that helps! :)

• EdT3
    EdT3
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the replying. I deleted the app, then re-downloaded but the program still asks for the master password instead of the welcome tour. I did not have iCloud backup turned on for my iPhone, but I do now have a vault located on Dropbox that was made after I messed up my iPhone. Do I need to delete that, or is there a more complete 'Delete' processes for an app other than holding down on the app and pressing the X when all the icon jiggle? Is it because I back up to my iMac and connect for backups thru wifi?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @EdT3,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having trouble here. Let's try following @JasperP's reset instructions again, but in addition to removing the iCloud data, please delete the data in Dropbox as well. This should get 1Password 4 for iOS opening as a new user for you. :)

• EdT3
    EdT3
    Community Member
    Options

Megan and JasperP,

I thought since I had iCloud backup turned off, and in fact had never once turned it on since getting the phone, that there wouldn't be anything stored there. I went back in and looked at my iCloud backup, which was turned off. I went into the 'Manage Storage' anyway and there was a onepassword data file there. Once I deleted this file, JasperP's instructions worked fine. I think I have everything installed and working properly now. Thank you both for your help.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @EdT3‌

Thanks so much for letting us know that you're all sorted out! We're here if you have any further questions :)

This discussion has been closed.