Vault question

Options
moosh
moosh
Community Member

I've recently started experimenting with a shared vault between my partner and I so that we have access to a few common logins. He's not especially slick with computers and can just about manage to remember what the keyboard shortcut is for invoking 1P. It's my main reason for setting up a shared vault - I want to manage his logins from my 1P.

My question: is it possible to set up his 1P so that it defaults to the shared vault - both 1P and 1Pmini - so that each time he presses his keyboard shortcut it pulls in the details from the shared vault?

I suppose I could just as easily put his logins in my my primary vault and share that with him, but there's so much going on in there it'd just confuse him!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @moosh‌

I apologize for the trouble here. Unfortunately, when we originally designed multiple vaults for 1Password 4, the idea was that a user's primary vault would never be shared - all shared information would exist in a secondary vault. As such, there are a few differences between primary and secondary vaults that can make the type of sharing you are suggesting a bit more complicated than ideal.

Don't worry! We've listened to users and are working to make sharing primary vaults a simpler process. In the meantime, we might be able to make this work for you! Please note that this solution might not work if you have a shared Dropbox account and both want to use 1Password 4 for iOS. If this is true for you, please let me know and we'll revise these steps. (This complication is also temporary - we're working on solutions for this as well!)

If you don't currently use 1Password 4 for iOS, here's how we can set this up:

On your partner's computer:

• Open 1Password to his primary vault
    • Go to File > Backup and backup the database, just in case
    • Go to Preferences > Sync and select Dropbox
    • Click the 'select vault' button
    • Create a new folder at the root of Dropbox titled 'shared vault' (or something slightly more clever)
    • Confirm to sync Dropbox to that folder.

(If you have individual Dropbox accounts, please log in to Dropbox and share the 'shared vault' folder to your Dropbox account)

On your computer:

• Ensure that Dropbox is fully synced with the 'shared vault' folder
    • Open 1Password and use File > Backup to backup the existing database
    • Create a secondary vault with the same Master Password as your partner's primary vault (all other details such as colour and name are dealer's choice!)
    • While viewing this new secondary vault, go to Preferences > Sync
    • Select Dropbox
    • Click the 'select vault' button and select the 1Password.agilekeychain inside the 'shared vault' folder
    • This should load all the existing data from your partner's primary vault into your secondary vault.

Please note that this is not a fully tested scenario, but we have had several users try this with success. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

This discussion has been closed.