AgileBits version vs. Mac App Store version: iCloud sync

Options
ccgreen
ccgreen
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

It states that if you want to use iCloud syncing, you should purchase from Apple App Store; however, it seems that the Agile Store will always get the updates quicker; is there a problem to purchase from Agile, and still use iCloud to sync w/ 1Password IOS for iPhone & iPad?
thank you

Comments

• ccgreen
    ccgreen
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

If 1password for Mac is bought at the agile store, to take advantage of current newer version (and access to quicker updates in the future), is there a problem using iCloud?
    in your FAQ, it stated: Should I purchase on the Mac App Store or from your website?

To use iCloud syncing you should purchase on the Mac App Store, but ultimately the choice is a personal preference.
    So not sure if there will be an issue w/ iCloud syncing w/ IOS, if buy 1password for MAC from Agile Store

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

You currently are able to use iCloud with either version. The reason AgileBits recommends the Mac App Store version for those wanting to use iCloud is that Apple could at some future time exclude it from using iCloud. Buying from the MAS guarantees against that possibility.

I have no idea how likely it might be that Apple would actually do that.

• ccgreen
    ccgreen
    Community Member
    Options

thank you - much appreciated; i am of the motto -particularly w/ technology, better safe than sorry.
    have a good evening

• MikeT
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @ccgreen,

We automatically license the website/beta versions once it detects that you have the Mac App Store version installed, so you can just buy it from Mac App Store and switch over to the website version without worrying about buying it again.

If you do it this way, make sure you disable the 1Password mini in the Mac App Store version of 1Password before opening the website app, so two 1Password minis don't run at the same time.

You can disable it by opening the 1Password app, and go to the 1Password Menu > Preferences > General and uncheck Always keep 1Password mini running.

This discussion has been closed.