Copy/paste of password doesn't work on some web sites

Options
wrider
wrider
Community Member

This has happened infrequently on other web sites, which I didn't bother to record. I had a problem signing in to Hartford Insurance https://service.thehartford.com. Eventually tried the "Forgot Password" option. After answering question prompts, was taken to new password field. Copy/pasted into password field. Went to do same in Confirm Password field and Copy/paste would not work. Had to manually enter 50 digits! When I spoke with their tech support, they confirmed that copy/paste was not permitted in the confirm password field (which I didn't recall from my original creation and subsequent use of this website with the 50 digit pw). I requested a review of their policy. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member
    Options

The following worked for me on some websites but might not work on another.

On Mac I went to the top left Safari toolbar, selected Edit / Paste and the copied user name and/or password was pasted to the field.

• wrider
    wrider
    Community Member
    Options

I'll try that. It might be one of those odd quirks that work. I had been using the "Command V" keystroke combination with the cursor blinking in the Confirm Password field after selecting "Copy" from my 1Password record.

• MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    Options

Some web site developers take control of keystrokes (because they know so much better than the end users???) through JavaScript on their page(s). That's one reason why using Command-V to paste doesn't work but the menu option Edit -> Paste does (or may).

I understand that if a user is going to use Command-C on the contents of the first new password field and then Command-V into the verification field because they are "taking a shortcut" then they may get themselves into trouble if they don't really know what they typed. But password managers know better and do generate much stronger passwords that aren't going to lend themselves to being typed in twice manually unless they are woefully short (I'm looking at you financial services companies and your 8-character password length limits).

This discussion has been closed.