Multiple users on same iMac crashes / causes unexpected, irregular behavior

blistwon
blistwon
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

Hello,

I've been using 1Password for quite some time across multiple devices (MBPro, iPhone, iPad) without issue.

Recently, I got an iMac for home use and set up a couple of different users. One for me, one for my business, and one for my wife. When more than one account is logged into the machine, or when using Fast User Switch (I do this all day between personal and work accounts) bad things start to happen. Allow me to outline:

Givens

• FUS = Fast User Switch

• 1P = 1Password

• iMac user "home" has a 1P account, synced through dropbox

• iMac user "work" has a 1P account, used only locally for now

• Both users have independently installed the browser plugins for Firefox and Chrome respectively

Scenarios

• Home and Work users are both currently running. Home user logs into the iMac, unlocks 1P in the course of some web browsing. FUS to Work account. The browser button in the toolbar will not launch the 1P flyout, or do anything (fill on click, etc). Opening new browser window or tab will not change this. Restarting the browser will not change this either. Full log out / log in seems to restore functionality[1] as does "waiting" some amount of time[2].

• Same as above, but this time 1P crash reporter will be open; requires dismissal and relaunch of 1P app, browser plugin remains unusable if browser was open.

• In either case, after doing some normal activity, FUS back to Home user will have caused the Home user's 1P browser plugin to be inoperable. No crash or crash report, just unresponsive. Again, flaky, pseudo-magical recovery[3] after some period of time.

Relevant Data

• Brand new iMac, late-2013, 27", 3.5GHz w/ 8GB ram, running 10.9.2

• Minimal non-OSX software as I've just set up each account (Firefox, Chrome, Textmate, etc)

• Latest and greatest 1P4 and 1P4 browser plugins (clean install, no upgrade from 3 for example)

So, not sure what to make of this, or if anyone else has this use case. Probably not top of the food chain for bug fixes, especially given the vagary. Just curious if you have any thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks,
--Ben

[1], [2], [3] As a software dev, I know that "seems to," "sometimes," and arbitrary recurrence are usually attributable to something else, but I have tried my best to debug this in an isolated way (only browser open, nothing else running, etc), and still can only reliably provoke the issue or its recovery maybe 50-70% of the time.

EDIT: Apologies, looks like you can't use list markdown, so the Givens, Scenarios and Relevant Data sections are a bit of a runon.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Ben ( @blistwon‌ )

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we experienced a surge in support requests recently. We're doing the best we can to get back to our usual speedy replies as soon as possible.

Now, you may have noticed that 1Password 4.3 was released today. Please update your software and let me know if you are still having this issue. If this issue is still present, please let me know and we'll investigate further! :)

This discussion has been closed.