Despairing - passwords disappearing as soon as I re-add them, device sync isn't working correctly

Options
evilpants
evilpants
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

Hi - I've been a really happy customer of 1password, and I still am. But I've got a big problem with passwords going missing and sync not working properly.

I have 1password on 3 macs, syncing through Dropbox. I also have it on a 3 iOS devices.

Recently, to help me with budgeting, I deleted passwords for a few online shopping accounts as well as for my 4 credit and debit cards. I've been good, so I've now added them back.

But they just won't stay added. They simply disappear as soon as I add them.

To remove them, I sent them as logins to a friend via iMessage and then deleted them from 1password. He then sent them back when I asked for them. When I clicked on the link, the passwords were successfully added back.

But within a few seconds, they were gone again. NOT into the trash - they were just gone.

The list on the left shows "1" credit card. But there's none in there (why would it say "1"? a) there are none cos they've disappeared, and b) there were four).

In addition to this, despite me syncing via Dropbox, I noticed for the first time that each instance of 1password has different numbers of passwords, logins etc.

Eventually, I was able to get most of the passwords back ON ONE DEVICE simply by removing syncing and adding it back, followed by restoring from a backup.

Note, each time I added the passwords back, I had a message saying "contents.js" had been updated. I never see that normally.

On my other devices, the re-added passwords simply don't sync over. So, 1password now has additional missing data during a sync.

But... there's still a password that won't 'stick'. My PayPal password adds back when I click on the link in the message, and shows up in the list - but then seconds later it's gone.

And I still can't get all versions of 1password to show the same passwords.

This is really messed up - it means I am really worried about using and trusting 1password. I really don't want to have to uninstall and start again, but I've realised I'm incredibly vulnerable - I trust 1password with everything and I am really worried that passwords can simply disappear like this, as well as different devices having different info.

1password normally seems rock solid, so I don't think it's 'poor coding' or anything like that. But there's clearly something wrong.

I suspect that the answer to all of this is to export all my passwords, remove the apps, the sync data and all the files on every device, and then start again.

Does any of my story sound familiar to anyone, and has anyone got any potential solutions for it?

There are a few core issues that this raises about the way 1password & syncing works.

1) how can a password just disappear? I think when I click on the link to re-add an old password to 1password, one of my devices is saying "adding PayPal back? No, nononono we deleted that, let's get rid of it again". But if that's the case, there is a critical error in 1password.

2) what sync checking mechanism does 1password have - how come it's been able to say that syncing is fine, yet each device has a different number of entries in it? My iPhone has a different number to my iMac and MacBook - each of them is missing 1-5 passwords from the other devices. Something's not working :-(

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give. I'm actually quite freaked out about this, cos when you've got a few hundred passwords, you won't realise a few are missing until, as I did today, you go to login and can't!

Thanks for your time :-)

PS I decided to move over to iCloud sync to see if these problems went away. Despite moving one device over, waiting, then another, waiting etc., these re-added passwords still won't move from 1 device to the others.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @evilpants‌

I sincerely apologize for the trouble you've been having with 1Password. Doesn't sound like fun at all!

Now our first step in getting things sorted out here is to ensure that you are updated to the latest version of 1Password everywhere. 4.3 was just released for Mac and 4.5 was released for iOS, and these versions include a lot of great fixes that should help you out.

I'd also like to take a closer look at your system to get a better idea of what's going on here. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.