[Working on a fix] Saving Santander bank accounts...

Bassmunchkin
Bassmunchkin
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Mac

Good evening, I have saved 24 passwords perfectly ok but when I try to save my Santander Bank Account, I am getting lost on how to do so, as I need to enter 3 areas and not just one password, I was wondering if you could direct me to a video on how to do this.

The 3 areas that I need to enter are...

1 Personal id

2 Passcode

3 Registration number

Obviously I have this info but not sure how to enter it in 1password.

Many thanks for any help you can offer,

Terry

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I think this might work if you re-create and save the login manually. If you still have problems after doing that do please post back and I'm sure more help will be forthcoming!

Stephen

• Oxon
    Oxon
    Community Member

You need to set up and save 2 separate login records - e.g. Santander 1 (for the Personal id.). You can set this to auto-submit. Then set up Santander 2 for the Passcode and Registration number, but DON'T set this to auto submit as (for some unknown reason, probably to do with Santander), this will only take you back to the first screen), set it to Never. You will have to click on Submit each time.

Ken

• Bassmunchkin
    Bassmunchkin
    Community Member

Thanks very much for your kind replies and I shall try your suggestions out soon and then get back to you.

Kind regards,

Terry

• Bassmunchkin
    Bassmunchkin
    Community Member

Thanks Stephen, but unfortunately I still have problems creating this saved account.

Ken, I have tried to duplicate exactly your suggestion, but firstly I have entered both the Passcode and Registration number in the password 2 section with a space between the two, as I cannot see where else I can enter them seperately and secondly, if I double click Santander 2 neither of them open up.

I notice that Only Santander 1 is shown in the mini window but both Santander 1 & 2 are shown in the main 1password window.

Also I want to save my wives Santander details as well lol

Kind regards,

Terry

• Bassmunchkin
    Bassmunchkin
    Community Member

Any ideas on this one please

Kind regards,

Terry

• Hi Terry,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble with 1Password! Lets figure out whats going on.

First off, since I don't have an account with Santander, I wasn't able to test the second step of the login process. That said, the first page worked fine in my tests - I'll outline the process that I tried, and what I would do for the second page as well.

1. Visit the Santander website and go to the login page.
    2. Type in your Personal ID, but don't click Continue.
    3. Open the 1Password extension.
    4. Click the gear icon (or vault icon if multiple vaults are enabled) in the upper right corner.
    5. Select Save new login.
    6. Give the entry a unique and identifiable title. Since this is a two-page login process, I'd suggest naming it something like "Santander Step 1".
    7. Click Save.
    8. Now, revisit the site and see if 1Password fills in this first page properly.
    9. If so, either let 1Password auto-submit the form, or click continue.
    10. Repeat the process from step 2 on the second page, but this time type in both the Passcode and Registration number, and name the new login as "Santander Step 2".

You will end up with two login items for Santander - the first one to use on the first page, the second one to use on the second page.

Let us know how that works out!

• Bassmunchkin
    Bassmunchkin
    Community Member

Meek, you are top man :-) I followed your instructions exactly to a "T" and spot on... it works absolutely perfect.

Many thanks for your time and patience, I really do appreciate your time.

Once again many thanks and kind regards,

Terry

• JimH
    JimH
    Community Member

I phoned Santander yesterday as I've also been unable to change my password. I was told there is a glitch with their system and if I enter my old password (ie the one I want to change) in upper case then all will be fine, which is was. Strange!

BTW, the system can't cope with symbols.

• @Bassmunchkin‌, awesome, I'm so glad to hear that worked! Thanks for letting us know!

@JimH‌, Interesting! Thanks for letting us know - that is indeed strange!

• Bassmunchkin
    Bassmunchkin
    Community Member

Hi Meek, I tried to log into both my own Santander bank account and my wives one tonight, but It only put the passwords into the first phase (personal ID) but NOT the 2nd phase (Passcode and registration number) and I can't remember what they are now.

Any idea of how I can gain access?

I know 1password backs up and I also have Time capsule backing up my system every hour, but not sure how to find the files and replace them with the backed up ones from a couple of days ago, as everything worked fine then.

I have emptied the cache and rebooted my mac, but 1password will still not let me in.

Kind regards,

Terry

• Tommay
    Tommay
    Community Member

JimH, exactly the same happened to me. I contacted Santander who told me I had to enter all my passcodes in uppercase to change them and then re-enter them all in lowercase to use them. 1Password4 had been working fine for weeks. I have replied saying that is a bug surely, as there are no instructions explaining this oddity and anyway I use 1Password to avoid this sort of problem. They also said 'we notice you are using a previous version of the Banking website', but didn't tell me how to use a newer one. Be good to get them to pin this down as i don't want to lock myself out of my bank accounts!

• Bassmunchkin
    Bassmunchkin
    Community Member

Hi Tommay I know the feeling, get locked out and then wait over a week for new online log in details which is not good, as my wife is running a business and needs to check that customers have paid funds in, before the products get sent out.

• Hi @Bassmunchkin‌ and @Tommay,

Thank you so much for your update here.

We recently released a new version of the browser extension, which made some significant changes that should improve filling on a lot of different websites. That said, since this was a pretty big change, it may have broken a couple websites - I am wondering if this is what happened here.

Would you mind confirming with us which version of the extension you have installed? For Safari, you can check under Safari > Preferences > Extensions.

Also, as for manually logging in (until we can get this fixed), you should be able to see the values that 1Password saved for this website by opening 1Password, going to this login item, and clicking the "Saved Form Details" button. This will show you all the fields that 1Password has saved.

• Bassmunchkin
    Bassmunchkin
    Community Member

Hi Meek, I am using Google Chrome and have been since day 1 as this is the browser that I have 1password with.

The Extension is 4.2.0.90 and the 1st thing I did was check for updates, but was up to date.

With regards to manually logging in, I have clicked Santander1 for example but cannot see the Saved Form Details" button.

Also I have now noticed that clicking Santander1 in the "Logins" section, shows me a "vulnerability alert - change password" across the top of the screen.

How do I do this as I don't have access to my Santander account to change the password.

• Bassmunchkin
    Bassmunchkin
    Community Member

I have now found out how to log into my Santander account manually

• Oxon
    Oxon
    Community Member
    edited May 2014

I am using Safari 7.0.4 with extension 4.2 (and auto submit script installed) . 1P no longer inserts the (numeric) Personal i.d. into the Santander first screen (the field 'animates' but remains blank). After entering the i.d. manually, and right-clicking on the next screen, selecting 'Santander 2' from the context menu fails to even animate the fields and they remain blank. The only way to logon now is to select the records in the main app, 'Show web form details' and copy and paste personal i.d. and pass codes into the logon screens.

(Bassmunchkin this would have solved your problem with not remembering what the authentication passcode and registration number were).

Santander has always been a little flaky when it comes to auto-submitting, but now it seems to have given up the ghost completely!

• kwoffa
    kwoffa
    Community Member

Quote:- Santander has always been a little flaky when it comes to auto-submitting, but now it seems to have given up the ghost completely!

Yes, I can verify that. My Santander login autofilled stage two perfectly until this morning, and now it just will not autofill it at all.

• Hi @Bassmunchkin‌, @Oxon, @kwoffa,

Thank you all for the updates - I'm glad to hear you were able to manually log in using the Saved Form Details section, for now.

Since you are on the most recent update of the extension, it definitely sounds like something in this update changed the way the extension fills on this website. I am passing this on to our developers and we will look into it. Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention, and I am sorry for the inconvenience!

• Oxon
    Oxon
    Community Member

I am also having a problem with nsandi.com (National Savings and Investments). Now none of the 2 fields on screen 1 are filled.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Oxon‌,

I was able to create a Login that fills properly using these steps. Please let me know how they work for you!

• Edit the login that you currently have for this website by appending an "Old" to the title - just so you can tell them apart.
    • Visit the site and fill in the fields you want filled. Do NOT click the login button.
    • Click the 1Password extension, and unlock it if necessary.
    • Click the gear icon (or vault icon if multiple vaults are enabled) in the upper right corner.
    • Select Save new login.
    • Give the entry a unique and identifiable title.
    • Click Save.
    • Revisit the site and see if 1Password fills in the site correctly.
  • Oxon
    Oxon
    Community Member

Hi Megan.

I had already tried that and it didn't work. I have just tried it again and it did! (Perhaps something changed in 4.4.1 which I installed this morning?)

Thanks

• Oxon
    Oxon
    Community Member

Well I never - it's stopped working again!!

• Hi @Oxon‌,

What do the web form details look like on your login? Is it similar to this:

• @Oxon: It sounds like this issue could be related to some changes we made in 4.2.1. I made some changes today that will be available in 4.2.2 beta 3 (which I plan to publish soon) and I think these changes will help here. With that said, without direct access to the website it is pretty hard for me to be certain that these changes will help, but I'm hopeful.

Can you try beta 3 when it's released and let us know how it turns out? If it is still failing, could you post the HTML Source for the page that is causing you troubles? Hopefully I'd be able to see from the code what's happening.

Internal reference number: OPX-410

• Oxon
    Oxon
    Community Member

Sorry JasperP, I haven't been on the forum lately (house move) so I apologise for not replying.

Dave: I now have extension 4.2.2 and Santander works perfectly now, on both logon screens!! Also a couple of other banks which were broken under 4.2.1 are now working fine. Many thanks (and don't change a thing!)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

That's awesome new, @Oxon! Thanks for taking the time to follow up. I hope you are settled in a bit now in your new place. :)

• Thanks for letting us know, @Oxon. As for "don't change a thing", I cannot promise that as there's still a lot of websites out there that don't fill perfectly so we're going to continue making changes to make things work for everyone. I'd be happy to test every beta on Santander so you wouldn't be affected by this again, but the multistep login process makes that impossible w/o having a real account. What I will promise, however, is if we ever have another regression here, I'll do my best to get it working for you again :)

By the way, I stumbled over this scathing review of Santander's security practices:

http://ramblingrant.co.uk/2013/12/10/santander-another-demonstration-of-how-not-to-handle-security/

You may want to give that a close read.

• Oxon
    Oxon
    Community Member

Thank you both.

Dave: I'll publish my account details on the forum so you can log in to my account to test any changes:

Only joking

• From what I read in that article, it sounds like you might as well post your details here ;)

This discussion has been closed.