Lag between Windows password update and iOS using dropbox (or is it just broken?)

slate
slate
Community Member

Hello,
I just changed some passwords on the Windows 1password application, and closed the program. Dropbox says that the files have been synced.
When I launch 1password on my iPhone, the new passwords aren't in place.
1) I think it would be reasonable to have a "sync now" button in case something went wrong with automatic syncing in the iOS app.
2) Is the sync supposed to happen instantaneously or what? I've tried shutting down the program manually in iOS and reopening it, but it just doesn't update the passwords it displays. I have checked my sync settings, and other than the fact that the app shows that I am using more space than I am in dropbox, everything looks fine.
Thank you,
Ben

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @slate,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting things synced up here. With Dropbox, sync should occur almost instantly when a change is made, so a 'Sync Now' button shouldn't be necessary ... but there is one in the Settings > Sync section of the iOS app in case you want to be sure changes get updated immediately.

Now, I've got a few basic things that we want to check regarding Dropbox first, before we get into the serious troubleshooting:

• Please ensure that Dropbox is installed and running on your computer
    • Check that you are logged in with the same account on all computers and devices
    • Confirm that Dropbox sync is selected in 1Password > Preferences on your main computer
    • Confirm that Dropbox is selected in Settings > Sync on your iOS device

If all of those items check out, let's run a test and see where things are getting tripped up:

• Create a test entry on your computer ("Test, PC") and add some data
    • Create a test entry on your iOS device ("Test, iOS") and add some data
    • Does 'test for PC' show up on your iOS device?
    • Does 'test for iOS' show up on your computer?

Please let me know the results of this little experiment - once we have a better idea of where things are going sideways, we should be able to get this straightened out simply for you :)

• slate
    slate
    Community Member

Hello, in the iOS app I got to the part where

"Confirm that Dropbox sync is selected in 1Password > Preferences on your main computer"

It looks like 1password is no longer configured to connect to dropbox. So I select the dropbox option from the available syncing options.
    I get a real fast screen that says: "Searching for 1Password.agilekeychain or 1Password.opvault in Dropbox."
    Then I get the pop-up message:
    "1Password will create a new file in Dropbox. The file will be created in /Apps/1Password folder."

My options are to Cancel or Create File.

I don't want to overwrite my existing passwords or have to fiddle with the Windows app.

In my iOS Dropbox root folder I have "dontbother.agilekeychain" and I can view it from the iOS app. I suspect that this is the file that Dropbox is looking for and can't find. There is also a file called .ws.agile.1Password.settings.

I appreciate your help.
    -Ben

• slate
    slate
    Community Member

bump

• Hello Ben, thanks for the bump. You will need to rename that dontbother.agilekeychain file to 1Password.agilekeychain in order for 1Password on your iPhone to be able to find it. Before you rename it make sure you quit 1Password for Windows.

• slate
    slate
    Community Member

So this sounds like a bug, no? I mean, it worked before, and the new version of 1Password on iOS doesn't let you select it. Sigh...
    Thank you for your advice.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @slate,

I apologize for the trouble here. Our developers are already working on ways to allow for custom named primary keychains. For the time being, ensuring that your primary keychain has the default name (1Password.agilekeychain) will help 1Password 4 for iOS see it during setup. :)

• slate
    slate
    Community Member

Yes that fixed the problem. I think app makers should be a little more careful when they update apps, though.

• I'm glad to hear it's fixed now. Thanks for the feedback!

This discussion has been closed.