Reactivated Dropbox sync, but still no sync…

Options
sebpennec
sebpennec
Community Member

Hi!

Sorry to create yet another post about the latest 1Password for iOS and DropBox…

I am an old 1Password user, on Mac OS X, iPhone et iPad. I've been relying on the Dropbox sync for a long time.

One of the new features that I loved in the new 1Password for iOS was the shared vaults. So tonight I created a family vault where I moved some of our shared passes. It all seemed fine from the desktop standpoint. My main vault has a few less passes: those that I moved to the family vault.

From iOS, however, it's not that simple. I went in the settings and re-configured the sync, allowing 1Password in the DropBox app, but the main vault still have the same number of passes. I tried to force the sync and everything seems to work: the app displays "Synced x seconds ago" but it's not actually sync'ed.

Can anybody help?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sebpennec‌

I'm so sorry to hear you're having trouble getting everything straightened out with multiple vaults here. Just a quick point of clarification: you mention moving items into the family vault. Did you delete them from the primary vault after doing this? Currently 1Password copies objects between vaults, rather than moving them, to ensure that nothing gets lost. Once the item is safely stowed in the secondary vault, it can be deleted from the primary.

(I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding your situation here!)

• sebpennec
    sebpennec
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan!

It always amazes me how fast the support team answers on this forum. Thanks for your reply! :)

To move the entries, I used the following feature:

• Right click -> Share -> Family Vault -> Move

… so I guess that the entries were actually moved, not copied. At this time, they are not in the main vault, not in its trash but are in the Family vault so I guess that the operation succeeded.

Let me know if I can provide more info…

Sébastien

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Sébastien ( @sebpennec‌ ),

Oops, you're a bit more knowledgeable than me here. Looks like our developers added a new feature in 4.3 that I missed. ;) Thanks for reminding me!

Since your Logins are showing up correctly in the Mac, I'm thinking you may have run into one of our pesky bugs: in the current version, the iOS app can assume it's data is newest, instead of updating to newer data provided by the Mac. If this is the case, we can fix it in one of two ways:

• Disable sync, delete the data on the iOS device, restore to a Mac backup and then re-enable sync
    • Manually remove the extra items from the primary vault. (They should not reappear again.)

If you'd like some more detailed instructions on how to reset sync, please let me know. I do apologize for the trouble here!

• sebpennec
    sebpennec
    Community Member
    Options

Hello!

Sorry for not answering before :(

Could you point me to some info on reseting the sync? I think I know but since it's pretty important data, I'd prefer do it by the book :)

Thanks again,

Sébastien

• Good morning Sébastien!

Here are some steps you can use to reset your sync setup:

1. On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and choose 'Disable Sync'.
    2. Go to Settings > Advanced > Erase Data.
    3. On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.
    4. Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.
    5. Restart the Mac and iOS devices.
    6. Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.
    7. On your Mac, go to File > Backup and restore to a backup from prior to the troublesome sync reset.
    8. On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.
    9. Allow Dropbox to fully sync.
    10. Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure.

Let me know how this works out for you and if there's anything else I can do to help.

• sebpennec
    sebpennec
    Community Member
    Options

Ok thanks!

I'll try that over the weekend and let you know.

• Gattuso
    Gattuso
    Community Member
    Options

MrRooni said "open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and choose 'Disable Sync'." I do not see the 'Disable Sync' option.

• Gattuso
    Gattuso
    Community Member
    Options

I think that the problem stems from the fact that the Mac version syncs in a "1Password" folder located inside the dropbox folder whereas the iOS version syncs at the root of the dropbox folder.

• MrRooni
    Options

@Gattuso‌ It sounds like you might not having syncing set up in 1Password on your iOS device. Is your vault on Dropbox named 1Password.agilekeychain? If so the iOS version should find it.

• sebpennec
    sebpennec
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hello @Megan‌ and @‌MrRooni

Thanks a lot for your help, it's all working perfectly now!

Sébastien

• Gattuso
    Gattuso
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MrRooni

I have stopped syncing on the iOS devices, restarted them and reconfigured sync. All is well now.

Thanks
    Jean-Pierre

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Sébastien and Jean-Pierre ( @sebpennec‌ and @Gattuso‌ )

Whoo hoo! On behalf of @MrRooni‌, thanks so much for letting us know that you're all sorted out. I hope things work smoothly for you from now on, but we're here if you have any other questions. :)

• sebpennec
    sebpennec
    Community Member
    Options

No problem @Megan !

Thank you (and the support team) for your great work! Most companies don't provide this level of quality when it comes to helping their users…

Sébastien

This discussion has been closed.