1Password 4.5 iOS 6 support please?

skippingrock
skippingrock
Community Member

Hello, could you please find it in your hearts to be able to support iOS 6 in your recent 1Password 4.5 release? Though we have iPads with support for iOS 7, our iPhone 3GSs that are unlocked and working just dandy would love to be able to use continued support for this essential software. It will be a while time before we can get new phones because as you know cell phone plans in Canada are just brutal.

Cheers and thanks.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @skippingrock‌

Thanks so much for taking the time to write in! Unfortunately, the 4.5 update was written specifically for iOS7, using many features that were newly introduced in this OS. Adding iOS6 support is no small endeavour, as many of the things we are able to do easily in iOS7 were not possible in iOS6.

I'm sorry that I don't have a better answer for you here, but we will of course still be supporting 1Password 4.3.2 for users who are on iOS6 devices and will be more than happy to walk you through any troubles you might come across!

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member

Thanks for answering anyhow.

• stuckagain
    stuckagain
    Community Member

I have handed down an iPhone 6 to my son who has used (and kept losing non-apple phones before). As an avid 1P user, I would like to get him going in the right way and that means 1P. How can I get hold of 1P 4.3.2? The IOS app store just goes to the latest version and then give a warning message along the lines of tough luck you need IOS7!

Hope you can help.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Did you purchase a copy of 1Password for iOS version 4.3.2 or earlier? If so, I think you should find access to what you are looking for if you choose the Purchased option while in the App Store. (Hope that's right.)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @stuckagain‌

I'm so sorry for the trouble here! You can still access 1Password 4.3.2, thanks to a new service put into place by Apple. Here are the instructions on how to install the latest compatible version.

I hope this gets you up and running, but I'm here if you have any further questions!

• stuckagain
    stuckagain
    Community Member

@Megan‌ @hawkmoth‌ thanks for the feedback. The Apple instructions are for people that previously bought an app, which was subsequently upgraded to IOS7. Alas there seems to be no access for new users that have never previously bought the app but are working on iPhone 3GS which is stuck on IOS 6.

If there isn't a work around it means 1password cannot be used on any old iPhone, which would mean users like my son going to a competitor, with the risk that they may not find the effort of migrating when they can access your app at a later stage. I am hoping you can assist.

• geiswood
    geiswood
    Community Member

In Megan's link to Apple's note on how to install the latest compatible version of 1Password (like 1Password 4.3.2), Apple says...

...Thanks to the App Store, you may still be able to re-download a compatible, earlier version of an app when you are using an older operating system...

...For example, after purchasing iPhoto for your iOS 7 device, you can install an earlier compatible version of iPhoto from your iOS 6 device.

...Additional Information

Note: Some earlier versions of apps may not be downloadable from the App Store if the app's developer has chosen not to make them available. If you don't see the version of the app you are looking for, contact the app developer for more information....

My Question to the developers:
    as per Apple's iPhoto example, IF I now purchase the latest updates (ver. 4.x for iOS 7 only) to both my 1Password 3 and 1Password Pro 3 from Agile Bits, I would then be able to update my 1Password 3 apps on my 3Gs phone (iOS 6) and my iPad 2 (iOS 6) and my desktop iMac (10.6.8) to the version(s) of 4.x they can use with iOS 6.x ?? The compatible version is 4.3.2, I think, not the newest 4.4.

This workaround is necessary because some devices cannot run iOS 7 (3Gs phone). Worse, 1Password 3 (on my devices now) cannot sync with 1Password 4, I learned in here somewhere. I'd like to install ver. 4 but cannot (not on all my devices) because 1Password 4.4 now needs iOS 7, which will not run on 3Gs! So I need 1Password 4.3.2. And I am not the only one.

I did not buy 4.3.2 and now it is the only way to upgrade 1Password on the 3Gs. My iMac is running 10.6.8 and until now I have had no reason to switch. But I could update the OS on it, maybe, but I would only do it if I can get a version of 1Password 4x that can sync to the 3Gs.

Please tell me that YES, IF you buy version 4.4, Apple will let you install an earlier compatible version of iPhoto from your iOS 6 device. just as they say above.

That is what I understand them to say, and mean. But that does not solve my problem with the iMac, does it?

What will Agile Bits do? I hope you choose to make earlier versions available. Heck, get Apple to let you sell older iOS versions, not just sell new ones that cannot work just so you can then give us the latest last-compatible one!! Nice of them, and it is an answer... until you want a younger version but do not qualify for it.

Desktop? I bought the desktop 3 version from your store, not Apple's. Why not sell me 4.3.2 if that is what I need? [Don't need it, can't use it, can't buy it/them unless all my devices will have same major version number, of course. Recall: you cannot sync 3 with 4.)

Thanks,
    Sandy Wood

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @stuckagain‌

Again, I am sorry for the trouble here. Now, I'm not able to test this, but it seems to me that you should be able to purchase 1Password 4 directly from iTunes on your main computer (using the correct AppleID) and then use the instructions above to download onto your iOS6 device. If you're willing to try this option, I'd love to know if it does in fact work! (Of course, if it doesn't work, we're more than happy to refund your purchase price.)

Please let me know if this works!

Hi Sandy ( @geiswood‌ )

IF I now purchase the latest updates (ver. 4.x for iOS 7 only) to both my 1Password 3 and 1Password Pro 3 from Agile Bits, I would then be able to update my 1Password 3 apps on my 3Gs phone (iOS 6) and my iPad 2 (iOS 6) ...

Yes - if you purchase 1Password 4.5 for iOS for your iOS 7 compatible devices, you can follow the instructions above to download 1Password 4.3.2 on your iOS 6 devices. 1Password 4 is a universal app, so it will work on both your iPhone and iPad - you'll only need to purchase the app once. :)

...and my desktop iMac (10.6.8) to the version(s) of 4.x they can use with iOS 6.x ??

Now, 1Password is a separate purchase per platform, if you would like to upgrade 1Password for Mac, it will be a separate purchase. Since you bought 1Password 3 from our website, you are eligible for an upgrade discount. Simply enter your current license information on our upgrade page. 1Password 4 for Mac requires OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or higher, so if you do want to use it, you will need to upgrade your operating system as well.

If you're not ready to upgrade 1Password for Mac yet, you can still keep 1Password 4 for iOS in sync with 1Password 3 for Mac using Dropbox.

I hope this helps to explain things, but I'm here if you have any further questions!

• geiswood
    geiswood
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. I think you just said that all versions of 1Password 4x are compatible with each other. Is that right?

Therefore, these items running 1Password 3:

one iPad running iOS 7;
    one iPad running 1OS 6;
    a 3Gs phone with end-of-line iOS 6

would all get the correct 1Password 4 version from iTunes (4.3 or 4.4 or 4.5, depending) and could sync w/the others

and also would still sync w/ 1Password 3 on Snow Leopard, via dropbox?

The key to success here for devices on iOS 6 is Apple's "latest compatible version" service you mentioned above. They do say:

Note: Some earlier versions of apps may not be downloadable from the App Store if the app's developer has chosen not to make them available. If you don't see the version of the app you are looking for, contact the app developer for more information.

Megan, I hereby contact the developer and ask, through you:
    Has Agile Bits made the older versions for iOS available in iTunes in the way Apple has described?
    meaning: I could buy version 4.5 but Apple would deliver vr. 4.32-ish for my iOS 6 device?

Please tell me the answers to those 2 questions above.

I and many others do not want to break what we already have!
    I do not want to buy version 4 for iOS for the 3Gs and be given the wrong one by Apple! If you have made older versions available, those are what I should see when I try to buy, correct?

I do not want version 3 to be overwritten with a version my phone cannot use! And I do not want to find out that ver. 3 on my desktop has its database corrupted via some issue trying to sync with ver. 4 on iPad or phone.

I am just worried it will all go blooey and those generated passwords will be lost!

On another topic: WHY doesn't Agile Bits sell older desktop versions on its own site? You still have to support those older versions anyway so why not sell me one? Can't I buy an older desktop version 4 that will run on Snow Leopard?

Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @geiswood‌

I think you just said that all versions of 1Password 4x are compatible with each other. Is that right?

Yes. All versions of 1Password 4 are compatible with each other.

Therefore, these items running 1Password 3:

one iPad running iOS 7; one iPad running 1OS 6; a 3Gs phone with end-of-line iOS 6

would all get the correct 1Password 4 version from iTunes (4.3 or 4.4 or 4.5, depending) and could sync w/the others

and also would still sync w/ 1Password 3 on Snow Leopard, via dropbox?

Please purchase 1Password 4 for iOS on your iOS 7 compatible device, and then use the Apple instructions above to download version 4.3.2 onto your iOS 6 devices.

They will be able to sync using Dropbox with your other version 4 devices, as well as 1Password 3 on your desktop.

Has Agile Bits made the older versions for iOS available in iTunes in the way Apple has described? meaning: I could buy version 4.5 but Apple would deliver vr. 4.32-ish for my iOS 6 device?

Yes.

I do not want version 3 to be overwritten with a version my phone cannot use!

1Password 4 is an entirely new app. It will be installed alongside 1Password 3 and will not overwrite it. In fact, you can keep 1Password 3 installed on your iOS device alongside 1Password 4.

On another topic: WHY doesn't Agile Bits sell older desktop versions on its own site?

When we released 1Password 4, we removed 1Password 3 from direct sale to avoid confusing our users. 1Password 3 is still available for download on our legacy downloads page, and we will happily add a version 3 license to a user's account if they purchase a version 4 license. Simply send your purchase information in to support@ agilebits .com and we'll get you sorted out.

I hope this answers your questions, but we're here for you if you have any more!

• gsrokmix
    gsrokmix
    Community Member

Hi,

I can confirm that the instructions Megan posted do in fact work.

I, just 2 days ago, purchased 1Password for my early 2008 Mac Pro running Lion 10.7.5. I emailed Agilebits to obtain a license for version 3, which is the latest that would run on my machine. I could not upgrade to Mountain Lion because of other software I use that is not supported in 10.8. I received the version 3 license within 24 hours. It installed & is running fine on my Mac.

I then purchased the IOS App )newest version) directly from iTunes. When I went to the App Store on my iPad 2 running IOS 6, I was able to download & install the version of the app that works with IOS 6 per the instructions above. I then installed the same app the same way on my 4th gen iPod Touch running IOS 6, and it worked fine as well. Everything seems to working just fine, and I am syncing my vault file between my Mac & the IOS devices using Dropbox.

So far so good!

• I'm glad to hear everything is working well for you, @gsrokmix! :)

Please let us know if you ever have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.