Why separate login and credit card

opuntia2
opuntia2
Community Member
edited April 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Maybe I'm missing something but for many of the categories, such as credit cards and bank accounts, I need to have both a login and a credit card. Is there someway that they can be combined? It seems like the credit card would be the perfect place to automatically have username/password fields that somehow work as a browser extension login.

Thanks!

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

The short answer is "Because it's always been that way." :/

The long answer is that not every Login item needs to include credit card info. Nowadays, though, every credit card has a web site, and I'd love to see 1Password's credit card template include URL, username, and password fields. I'd also like to see the credit card template include billing address fields, because nearly every site where one would use a credit card also wants one's shipping address and billing Zip code, at a minimum.

All that said, it's a Very Big Deal to update templates, because they have to be compatible with 1Password on all the platforms, and it's hard to release updates on 4 or 5 different platforms at the same time.

(Note that 1Password 4 for Windows, currently in beta development, includes the option to add custom fields to any item, though I haven't checked to see whether they can be used to fill fields on a form. If you're interested, you can join the thousands of people already working with 1Password 4 for Windows by joining the beta program here.)

• opuntia2
    opuntia2
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick reply. It's not just credit cards though, looking at the categories available on the iOS app, you can have login information for bank accounts, database, email accounts, memberships, outdoor license, reward program, software license and wireless router. All of those can/could have a login username/password that would be convenient to have available on the browser extensions.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Well, what item types (categories) can be used to fill web forms is a separate question. For now, it's Login items only...Identities and Credit Cards are available in 1Password 4 for Windows...more may follow, but I've seen no plans to implement them.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

This discussion has been closed.