how to sync ios app and desktop vaults using dropbox

asgolub
asgolub
Community Member

I am very confused. I have 1Password 4 installed on a Mac at home. I have 1Password 3 on a pc at the office. I have the ios app installed on iphone and ipad.

The desktop versions are saved in the following directory: dropxbox\1Password\1Password 2.agilekeychain

The ios app insists on making the following the primary vault: dropbox\apps\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain

If I then click in the ios app to add a vault, only then does it let me choose 1Password\1Password 2.agilekeychain.

But, even then, every time I leave the ios app and come back to it I am defaulted to the "primary" vault in the apps folder, not the one that actually has all my data in it that's called 1Password 2.agilekeychain.

How do I make the 1Password 2 version my actual primary vault in the ios app? Or, barring that, is there a way to merge all my data into the apps folder version and then use only the 1Password.agilekeychain version, not the 1Password 2.agilekeychain version?

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

Comments

• asgolub
    asgolub
    Community Member

I probably figured this out. I copied the 1Password 2.agilekeychain file in the 1Password folder (not the app folder) and renamed it as 1Password.agilekeychain. I then went into preferences in my office (Windows) version of 1Password and redirected it to the newly copied/renamed version of the keychain. I deleted/unsynced the existing vaults in the ios app and then when I tried to resync with dropbox this time it found the 1Password folder and let me use that as primary rather than the version in the Apps folder.

Not very intuitive and i have no idea why I ended up with a keychain that had the number 2 in it. But I think all's well that ends well.

• asgolub
    asgolub
    Community Member

I guess one question, though, if someone from Agilebits is monitoring this. I now have in the Dropbox\1Password folder a subfolder called 1Password 2.agilekeychain - Copy. It in turn has subfolders and files in it. I assume I need this? If so, should I rename it so that it plays nicely with my newly renamed keychain?

• @asgolub‌ We have made some changes to the sync setup that require your primary keychains to be named 1Password.agilekeychain. You may be able to safely delete your 1Password 2.agilekeychain - Copy folder, but I would first double check to make sure that none of your other devices are syncing to it and that it is not a newer keychain than the one you just moved into place. I always try to err on the side of not deleting files unless we're absolutely sure it's not needed. Worst case scenario: You do nothing with it for a while and ensure that you aren't missing any data anywhere.

Let me know your thoughts and if there's anything else I can do for you.

This discussion has been closed.