Trying to use the Chrome extension on my Chromebook [not possible]

Options
squiddz
squiddz
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Lounge

I've been using 1PW for Mac for a while now and love it. I got a new Chromebook a few days ago & got caught in the Dropbox issue which I've read about here. That's apparently fixed now. I have always synched my 1PW data to Dropbox. Anyway, now I can go to Dropbox on the Chromebook and click on the 1pw agilekeychain, and log in to 1PW no problem. I put the extension on Chrome and clicked on the key & put in my master PW and all I get is "connecting..." with increasing numbers. I read something similar on here recently and you were able to help this person but I couldn't get this to work for myself. Do you have enough info here to help me? Do I need to buy something else? If so, what? Thank you!!

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You have installed the version 4 extension haven't you, not the version 3 extension? If not, remove the old extension then go to 1P4 > Install browser extensions and install the version 4 extension.

Stephen

• squiddz
    squiddz
    Community Member
    Options

I'm on a Chromebook in the Google Store. The only one I can install and NOT use the app is version 3.9.21.90. I tried the other 2 1PW's in the list but they say they require the app.

In other words, from what I can see, the v4 extension doesn't work on my Chromebook without the 1PW app. Which I don't think I can install!

thanks!

• squiddz
    squiddz
    Community Member
    Options

This is the thread that helped the other person with this issue last year. It didn't seem to help me though.

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/13316/1password-3-extension-for-chrome-running-on-a-samsung-chromebook

• squiddz
    squiddz
    Community Member
    Options

Can anyone help me? Can the staff move this thread to the proper place if it's in the wrong one? Thank you.

• Jasper
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi @squiddz,

I'm sorry for any confusion. There is no 1Password app or extension available for Chrome OS. As stated in the 1Password Chrome extension description:

IMPORTANT: This extension requires the 1Password desktop application for Mac or Windows, sold separately and available at https://agilebits.com/onepassword

Since it is not possible to install 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows on a Chromebook, the extension will not work. In order to function, the 1Password extension needs to communicate with a native background process that is part of the 1Password application. This is not possible on a Chromebook since it is only designed to run web apps not native apps.

The good news is that 1PasswordAnywhere is a web app, and it will work just fine on a Chromebook. It is a free web app that is already built into your data file. Here is the section in the User Guide which explains how it works:

1PasswordAnywhere

This discussion has been closed.