Wrong password filled in

Options
dodsonmd
dodsonmd
Community Member
edited June 2014 in Mac

Using 1Password4.4 on iMac OSX 10.9.2. I have a login for a website, it looks correct in 1PW4, but it consistently enters an incorrect password into the website form. I can manually type the password as listed in 1PW4, and it works. Using Cmd-\ always produces the error, as does the 'open and fill' selection in the website box in 1PW4. I have deleted and re-created the login, but no change. There is no entry for this website in Keychain Access. It happens in both Safari and Chrome. Any ideas?

Comments

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @dodsonmd,

I can manually type the password as listed in 1PW4, and it works. Using Cmd-\ always produces the error, as does the 'open and fill' selection in the website box in 1PW4.

Could you please take a look at the web form details, and see if the password saved there matches your correct password:

There is no entry for this website in Keychain Access.

That's expected. 1Password does not use Keychain Access to store your data.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Too many websites have restrictions on the length of passwords that they do not tell you about, even after you try a password that is too long.

I gather, from other discussions on the forums, that this can cause the problem you have, but that copying the password and then pasting it may well work.

• dodsonmd
    dodsonmd
    Community Member
    Options

I checked the web form details, and they are correct.
    Here's what happens: I have a six character password that will work on the web site, whether I enter it manually, or if I copy and paste from 1PW4. When I use 'open and fill' or cmd-\, 1PW4 enters an eight character password, that of course does not work. The web site has not required (as far as I know) an eight character password, and my six character password will work. Perhaps I should just change the website password to eight characters and see if that works.

OK, I changed the website password, and indeed they had changed the restrictions to >seven characters, and an upper case letter. I put the new password in to 1PW4, into the password field as well as the web detail password field. Unfortunately the problem remains. The open/fill and cmd-\ continue to enter an incorrect password. But I can copy/paste from 1PW4, or manually enter it and it will work. There are no extra spaces or characters in the 1PW4 fields.

Multiple other websites work fine from 1PW4. I'm stumped.

• Meek
    Options

Hi @dodsonmd‌,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble with 1Password! Lets figure out whats going on.

Let's try this:

• Edit the login that you currently have for this website by appending an "Old" to the title - just so you can tell them apart.
    • Visit the site and fill in the fields you want filled. Do NOT click the login button.
    • Click the 1Password extension, and unlock it if necessary.
    • Click the gear icon (or vault icon if multiple vaults are enabled) in the upper right corner.
    • Select Save new login.
    • Give the entry a unique and identifiable title.
    • Click Save.
    • Revisit the site and see if 1Password fills in the site correctly.

If that doesn't work, could you let us know the site's address so we can test it?

• pdm32
    pdm32
    Community Member
    Options

Love 1P, but a similar problem here. On a banking website, we have a personal account and a business account. 1P recognizes the site and sorts the logins alphabetically, as always. Since 4.4, I hit the shortcut to login to the personal account with the username (choosing it from the pulldown that pops up), which takes me to the pword page. I then hit the shortcut, as always before, and 1P inserts the business pword instead of the personal pword. When I look at the pulldown in 1P, the sort has been reversed and the business account is first, which probably causes the fill problem. I have completely reworked my username and pword on the personal account, but not the business account (It's my wife's and she wants it her way!). Any thoughts?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @pdm32,

In addition to looking at the username and password on the accounts, please take a look at the URL. It sounds to me like the URL for the business site might match the site that you are filling the password on than the personal site.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• pmcarrion
    pmcarrion
    Community Member
    Options

I also have this problem. I'm using 1Password 4.4.1 and the latest extensions on all browsers on OS X 10.9.3
    As said on the original post, 1Password consistently fills in the wrong password. I don't what password the application fills in but the passwords in the application itself are correct.
    It's becoming really annoying having to copy the password manually from the extension or 1Password mini app.
    As there a solution to this problem?
    Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pmcarrion,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this trouble! Have you tried @Meek's steps above to Save a New Login Manually? These steps help 1Password to re-learn the fields that it needs to fill on a particular web form and often solve problems where filling is happening incorrectly.

Unfortunately, there is no general solution here, as there is infinite diversity in website design and each site could be failing for completely different reasons. Re-saving the Logins is our first step in troubleshooting. If this does not help, please provide a few URLs for problem sites, we'd be happy to do some testing here and track down where things are getting tangled up. :)

This discussion has been closed.