Can i preview attached photos inside 1Password?

Options

Hi all,
Is it possible to preview attached photos inside 1Password without saving it on desktop?
Because 1Password always asked me to save photos when trying to just open it!!!!

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm afraid you'll need to save your attachments to the desktop before you can open them. This is a security-over-convenience design decision.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Note that this is true of all attachment types, for the reason @svondutch mentions above.

• yhussy
    yhussy
    Community Member
    Options

I think 1Password can preview photo on mac os x !!!
    Also it will be great if it can be viewed inside 1Password in future as new feature )

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You can, indeed, @yhussy. This is one of the ways in which 1Password for Mac and for Windows differ.

• yhussy
    yhussy
    Community Member
    Options

I need this feature for windows to buy a Family license for my work (
    It will be great if its can view attachment when mouse over or anyway similar!!! is this feature possible soon?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My guess is probably not soon, @yhussy, just based on all that remains to be done.

It's a lower priority (assuming we even decide to change the behavior) because you can easily view an attachment—you just need to specify where to save a copy, so that you'll remember to delete it (securely, if you like) when you're finished looking at it.

• yhussy
    yhussy
    Community Member
    Options

Yes i understand what you point! but i think its not easy if i need to check details of many photos every day!
    And i think it will be fair if you can let user choose from "Preferences" the way to show his pics! for example as attachment or directly open inside 1Password! )

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yhussy‌ You want to view your pics inside 1Password. Okay, we can built this PNG viewer into the product. But then someone else comes along and wants to view his/her PDF docs. And then someone else asks about XLS. Before we know it, we're not building a password manager -- we're building a full-fledged document viewer. I'm afraid we do not have those resources.

• yhussy
    yhussy
    Community Member
    Options

Why not!!
    I think these features will make 1Password the most popular and wanted security application ever.
    It's just a suggestion) and don't forget the customer is always right :\">

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yhussy, @svondutch's point is that we don't have the resources to build and maintain a full-fledged document viewer. Saving attachments provides what we hope is a reasonable solution (including the added security) without imposing too great a task on folks who need to view attachments frequently.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

• Morten Jonsen
    Morten Jonsen
    Community Member
    Options

@DBrown ... I respect you can't create a document viewer, but let's be honest ... it would take you 5 minutes to create a window that would show images without having to save them first. Instead you ask of us to save our files, so we need to remember to delete them afterwards and then erase them with some application that can overwrite it like 10 times ... all this when you could just make a window. I'm a dev myself and I now how little effort - I mean literally - it would take you less than 5 minutes to create a jpg, png, bmp etc. fileviewer, that would be safer for us to use.

• Morten Jonsen
    Morten Jonsen
    Community Member
    Options

I correct myself .. it would take 2 minutes! Here's a link to help you guys going ... http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd492132.aspx.

• Morten Jonsen
    Morten Jonsen
    Community Member
    Options

@DBrown what do you do in the in the Mac version? I'm not asked to save it here? @svondutch tells me it's a security risk if Agile would just save it to a temporary location unknown to us. How do you solve it on the Mac without a save dialog, without saving it to a temp location unknown to your users and not using a built-in viewer?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Morten, I can tell you're upset with us, and I'm truly sorry about that. :(

There are a couple of things that are different for 1Password for Mac. First, OS X has a "quick look" function/utility that 1Password can call if you select an attachment and press the space bar. If you double-click an attachment, 1Password calls the default app for the file-type. In either case, 1Password is decrypting the attachment first, of course, and saving a copy to a temporary directory. The temporary copy is deleted, the next time 1Password is locked. (At least, this is how I understood the crash course I just got from one of the 1Password for Mac support team.)

We never say "never", but I know of no plans at this time to build viewers or view "capability" for any file-type into 1Password for Windows.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@svondutch, @dbrown While I certainly understand your point about not handling every file type known to man, I do feel that you should handle common image types internally. The reason for this is simply because they are the usual format for holding scans for documents linked to accounts. I can't think of too many other file types that must be attached rather than simply transcribed into 1Password's custom fields.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @RichardPayne‌!

• Morten Jonsen
    Morten Jonsen
    Community Member
    Options

@RichardPayne‌ ... +1 ... and when you think of how simple a task it is to develop and how much it will benefit the users.

• Morten Jonsen
    Morten Jonsen
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

@DBrown‌ ... Not upset ... well it kinda annoys that svondutch tells me "Actually, it is potential security risk to decrypt it in a temporary location unknown to you." when it seems like this is exactly how you do it on the Mac - so he is telling me, that 1Password for Mac is actually a "potential security risk"?

I'm more frustrated by 1Password4 handles images this way. I need to use image in 1Password almost daily and the thought of having to remember to safe erase the files each time, when I know it takes a couple of minutes for you guys to develop, is enough for me to give this release a thumb down.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

For the record, It worked exactly the same in 1Password 1 for Windows.

Thanks again for the feedback!

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I know it takes a couple of minutes for you guys to develop

Nothing is that easy. Software development takes time. We need to design and test everything we do.

• Morten Jonsen
    Morten Jonsen
    Community Member
    Options

@svondutch ... I'm a pro developer myself (C#), so I know exactly how easy it is to develop. Found this 4 minutes YouTube video (as a sample) https://youtube.com/watch?v=QGo3AUVeyKM. 4 lines of code (maybe 10 if you use filestreams) and the guy on the video is extremely slow. Test it? How long can it take to test 10 lines of code?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@Morten Jonsen‌ 1Password for Windows is written in Delphi. They don't have access to a lot of the new productivity tools available in C#.

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member
    Options

"@svondutch's point is that we don't have the resources to build and maintain a full-fledged document viewer. Saving attachments provides what we hope is a reasonable solution (including the added security) without imposing too great a task on folks who need to view attachments frequently."

An alternative to a full-fledged document viewer would be to keep a dispatch table that maps document types to external viewer applications. Wrap the call to the external viewer with a save file, launch viewer on the file, on exit shred and delete file. If you want to be a bit more thorough, you could put the files in a 1Password temp folder that you routinely scrub at appropriate events --- like the ones where you lock the vault.

• imt
    imt
    Community Member
    Options

I agree to all the above customer comments. I have to go back and check the mac version again when I get home, but I believe it shows the jpeg when viewing the login item in 1password. No quick view needed. Could be wrong and will check.

But, what is the point of putting attachments into 1password if there isn't a secure way to view them? As other have said, to download a file, then open it and when complete, find that file and overwrite it to the point its unrecoverable is nuts. I can understand not supporting all file type, although BKH's suggestion sounds promising, PDF's and basic image files like bmp, jpeg, tiff, etc should be supported as a start.

My instance involves an investment company that provides a passcode card, which is used in conjunction with your username and password on the account. numbers on screen require you to enter in the corresponding codes off the card. So, having to copy that image onto the computer to then have to go and open it up is not ideal and opens up a big security risk. I have to image others are saving attachments that need to have some sort of secure viewing requirement.

• MikeT
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

We hear you, we're receiving dozens of requests for this and we're looking internally to see what the best way to handle this securely. Maybe there is a solution we can come up with.

@Morten Jonsen

I'm a pro developer myself (C#), so I know exactly how easy it is to develop.

As RichardPayne mentioned, we don't use any MS programming languages nor its .NET library. The app is built in Delphi as that's the best language we chosen back when 1Password for Windows was conceptualized and it will continue to be built with Delphi for a while.

@imt:

I agree to all the above customer comments. I have to go back and check the mac version again when I get home, but I believe it shows the jpeg when viewing the login item in 1password. No quick view needed. Could be wrong and will check.

No, it doesn't do inline images, you must press space to do a QuickLook or double-click to have it open in other apps.

• imt
    imt
    Community Member
    Options

Got it. But then this begs the question as to why then can't it just open in other apps in Windows, with a double click? This should be handeled the same way at a min. i.e. double click to open attachment. Attachment is decrypted to a temp file, opened in the app and then wiped when 1password times out or is locked or some other interval.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@imt‌

But then this begs the question as to why then can't it just open in other apps in Windows, with a double click? This should be handeled the same way at a min. i.e. double click to open attachment. Attachment is decrypted to a temp file, opened in the app and then wiped when 1password times out or is locked or some other interval.

@jpgoldberg‌ explained it another thread. OSX has a sandboxing mode that provides some assurance that the temporary file will be cleaned up if the process dies. Windows does not have this.

• imt
    imt
    Community Member
    Options

But, couldn't 1Password handle this? Make a temp directory, within the directory that 1password resides on the Windows machine. Thus, when a file is double clicked it is decrypted and copied to that temp folder and opened within the app. After the 1password times out, it deletes all files in this directory. Same on App shutdown, so if a file was open previously it would be another attempt to clean out the directory. sort of like clearing the clipboard after copying a password.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

And what happens if 1Password crashes or worse, is terminated or the system crashes. You end up with an unencrypted copy of the file sitting on your hard drive.

I have argued for a scheme that handles all this, but it is still a risk and I can understand why AgileBits are reticent about doing it. Personally, being a technically competent user I'd like to have the choice to take the risk. However, 1Password is built around the idea of making good security simple to do for the user, no matter what they level of competence.

@svondutch @dbrown @jpgoldberg Any chance that this will be considered as an option or is it ruled out for now?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RichardPayne wrote:

...if 1Password crashes or, worse, is terminated or the system crashes, you end up with an unencrypted copy of the file sitting on your hard drive.

Yes, indeed, that is precisely why attachment viewing is handled the way it is.

Of course, we're always looking for ways to improve 1Password, but (though we never say "never) I'd be surprised to see any internal viewers added to 1Password for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.