Unlocking primary vault also unlocks secondary vault [works as intended]

Options
stuartro
stuartro
Community Member
edited July 2014 in Mac

I have two vaults – Primary for all logins, etc and a second ("Finances") for credit cards, etc. I've found what appears to be a nasty bug, though, completely defeating the purpose of having two vaults (I have a longer, more secure password for the "Finances" vault). The issue is as follows: I unlock the primary vault, then hit Cmd+2 and (surprise!) the secondary vault is displayed, without asking me for the secondary vault's password.

I've tried this a number of times, locking the secondary vault, quitting 1Password, and then restarting it and unlocking one or the other vault. If I start by unlocking the secondary vault, then I can switch to the primary without needing its password, and vice versa.

Is this a bug or a "feature"? If its a feature, please can it be "fixed"?

Version info is as follows:
Version 4.4 (440002)
Agile Web Store

Comments

• Jasper
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi @stuartro,

This is normal. Unlocking the primary vault unlocks all the secondary vaults, so it is not going to ask for the vault password when you switch to any of the vaults and/or back to the primary vault. This is to make your life easier so you only need to remember one password (1Password).

The keys to secondary vaults are stored in the primary vault. Once you lock the primary vault, it'll lock all vaults.

Switching to a locked secondary vault and unlocking that vault, only unlocks that specific vault, it will not unlock anything else since that vault does not have the keys to do so.

Thanks for your feedback though! I'll pass it along to the developers. :)

internal reference number: DOCS-104

• askewchan
    askewchan
    Community Member
    Options

@stuartro‌, I find this a very nice feature myself, and the hierarchy matches pretty standard security hierarchies, e.g. user accounts on a computer (where the admin/root user has access to everything but secondary users only can access their own directories).

But I'm actually writing to suggest a workaround for you:
    Instead of having a low-security primary vault, and a high-security secondary vault, just reverse these. Put all your items in the primary vault (you can do this by exporting the Financial vault then importing that into your Primary vault), and then copy or move the low security items into a secondary vault. Then, when you want to access this subset of items, just put in your weaker secondary password, but to get access to all vaults, you must enter your primary master password.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @askewchan‌

Thanks so much for including your thoughts here. This is the way that I have my vaults set up as well, and I think it works pretty smoothly. :)

@stuartro, to unlock just a secondary vault, use the 1Password > Switch to Vault menu while 1Password is locked, and simply select the secondary vault you want to open.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions!

This discussion has been closed.