Lost new Password after editing record - Bug report-

Options
macmedix
macmedix
Community Member

I had a 1Password for Mac record open for editing (added a field & text label).
I was logged into a website & on the "change my password page" at that website.
Used the 1P button in FireFox to generate a nice 14 char password, which is inserted into the website successfully.

1P mini popped up a dialog box asking me if I wanted to update the 1P record?
Realizing that I had that record open for editing, I switched 1P(Mac) to another record, knowing I would lose the new unsaved edit, but preferring to get the record updated with the new password.
Then I accepted the dialog box suggestion to update the record. Which it did successfully.

I then selected that record in 1P and noticed the new password was in there. All good.

Here is where the wheels fell off.
The normal “Edit” button at the bottom of the record did not say “Edit” it said “Resume Editing”. There was no other choice to edit. I pushed it, and it restored my previous edit, but also lost my new password. There is no "undo" button.
The generated password was not saved anywhere, I suppose because it was copied into the record. I searched 1P (Mac) and even sorted by mod date, created date, but couldn't find the new generated password.

So the end result is that because of this behavior, I do not have the new password for this website, and will need to click the “forgot password link”.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi @macmedix,

Thank you for reporting this issue. I'm sorry that it caused you to lose your password change. I've reproduced it and will file it in our tracker.

A workaround is to cancel edit mode and discard changes after resuming editing of the item that was previously updated through the 1Password autosave window. That will revert the item to its previously updated state with the new password.

Please let us know if you go through a scenario like this again and can't cancel/discard/revert a resumed edit change.

• macmedix
    macmedix
    Community Member
    Options

Okey Dokie! I'm glad I was able to describe it well enough that you could reproduce the problem. Thanks for adding it to the Tracker.

I did click the "forgot password" link at that website & get it reset, so I'm OK, but I didn't like having to say I forgot a password that I never knew. :-)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @macmedix‌

I'm glad to hear you were able to get your password reset. On behalf of @sjk, thanks for letting us know that you're alright. We'll do our best to have this issue fixed as soon as possible for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.