Initial import gets stuck on large vault

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Dropbox sync broken.

Comments

• Preston
    Preston
    Community Member
    Options

I want to put my 2 cents in. I recently joined the Beta and installed the latest build. I'm not sure if I should add to this thread, or start a new one, but here's my experience with Dropbox sync so far... I have 2 vaults, one with ~880 items in it, and I have them synced via Dropbox. My Primary vault is the larger one, mentioned previously, and is the one I want synced to my phone. So I attempted to sync it in during initial setup. Here's my experience as follows:

• First attempt, fresh install, sync stopped at 5% and would not complete. I let the app stay active for about 2 minutes.
    • Cleared app data and attempted again.
    • Same result. Let sit for about 5 minutes ( BTW, the old 1PW Reader app does not have a problem with this vault)
    • Another attempt after clearing app data.
    • Stopped at 6% this time.
    • Cleared app data and attempted again, with smaller vault.
    • Success!!! All items imported just fine during initial app setup.
    • Cleared app data again, now that I confirmed it wasn't a problem with Dropbox or anything.
    • Attempted to load Primary vault (again, ~880 items).
    • Stopped again, but at 6% this time.
    • Let sit for ~30 min.
    • Checked status of app... now at 8%.
    • Let sit for 2 hours.
    • Still at 8%.
    • Killed app ( but did not clear data ) and reloaded the app.
    • Was prompted for vault password.
    • Entered primary vault password and got into vault.
    • A few items were present in vault, but small percentage compared to what should be there.
    • Noticed that it was now syncing items again.
    • Let sit for a while and all items synced correctly.

Not sure what the deal is, but it seems to not like large vaults on initial import. If you want, I can clear app data again, and attempt an initial sync, but try to get some logcat output...

• mverde
    Options

Hi @Preston‌,

I moved this post to its own thread so that it can receive the attention it deserves. We are aware that syncing large vaults can take a long time, but I'm not aware of an issue with the syncing stalling indefinitely on large vaults. Are you syncing over WiFi or cellular? Also, do you have lots of attachments and/or large attachments in your vault?

Would you be interested in trying to sync your vault using Folder Sync? An initial sync with Folder Sync will be much faster than one over Dropbox and should show us whether the initial sync will proceed to completion on its own without requiring you to wait hours to find out. Let me know if you need instructions on how to get your .agilekeychain file onto your device for Folder Sync.

• Preston
    Preston
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @mverde,

With regards to syncing. I usually try to sync via WiFi whenever possible, as it's usually faster for me, at least with the previous 1Password Reader. I have no attachments in my vault (that I'm aware of). It's mostly logins and passwords, a decent number of software licenses, notes, cc's, and identities. I do have quite a few items in the trash, apparently, and I did recently split out my work-related items into a separate vaults.

As an interesting aside, I did just notice that my item count in my vault, both in the Android and desktop versions, is different than what it had when importing. According to both versions now, I have 525 items. During import, however, it said ~886 or so. I'm not sure where the discrepancy comes in, but it's curious. I do have a decent number of items in the Trash; about 105. Not sure if that plays into it somehow.

I can get the .agilekeychain over to the phone. I'll attempt later today and report back. I assume the only disadvantage would be that updates to my keychain won't be able to be pulled in with a simple sync, correct?

• mverde
    Options

Hi @Preston,

You are correct that syncing is more complicated with Folder Sync, as you need to supply the app or service to keep the .agilekeychain file synced with your other devices. In this case, though, I am not suggesting that you switch to Folder Sync. I'm just interested to see if the syncing with the local filesystem results in the same stall as syncing with the Dropbox API. Have you had any luck in trying this?

This discussion has been closed.