Viability of old backups

Options
DavidB
DavidB
Community Member

A thoughtful post by MartyS in a recent thread http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/24182/how-to-handle-exposure-of-master-password#latest got me wondering about the viability--and vulnerability--of old backups. In a backup from 2008, I see that I have both 1P Keychain Backup and Password.agilekeychain_backup files. (I think this was during a transition from one type to the other.)

Assuming I (or a thief) wanted to restore any of these, what would the procedure be? Would I have to install the 1Password version they were created with (probably 1P 2)? Or, if I could restore them with my current 1Password 4, would doing so replace my current 1P files?

Thank you,

David

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DavidB,

Some of your older backups can be restored into 1Password, but it depends on the format that they were created with:

• The .agilekeychain format can be imported.
    • The (older) OS X keychain format cannot be restored to 1Password 4.

To restore an older backup into 1Password 4, the data would need to be changed into a 1Password.agilekeychain.zip file (by changing the file name in Finder). Then the file can be unzipped, and the resulting 1Password.agilekeychain can be opened in 1Password.

Please understand though that your 1Password backups (and therefor the 1Password.agilekeychain files created when unzipping the backup) are protected with the Master Password that they were created with. You cannot restore the data without knowing the Master Password.

I hope this helps to explain things, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

@Megan,

Thank you for the explanation.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DavidB,

Happy to help! We're here if you need anything else :)

This discussion has been closed.