Delete Section not working

Options
Fairgame
Fairgame
Community Member

I love using 1P4. Recently I came across the following problem on my iPad. I'm using version 4.5.1 as well as Dropbox sync to Mac version.
I have created a new Section with some fields in it (name and text) in Login folder. Later I was not able to delete some of these fields. I select Edit, delete them and select Done and the fields pop right back in.
I had similar issue with notes but after about 10 tries the notes got eventually deleted.
Any idea what is causing this and how to delete created fields in a Section?
Thanks

Comments

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member
    Options

I just noticed that the same login entry has 2 items called Conflicts. I'm not sure what Conflicts are and if this night be related.

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member
    Options

One more bit of info, deleting works fine on Mac version of 1P4.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Fairgame,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

Later I was not able to delete some of these fields. I select Edit, delete them and select Done and the fields pop right back in.

I've done some testing here, and I'm not able to recreate this reliably. On my first test, deleting a field and tapping done did cause the field to reappear, but since then, deleting has happened properly. Are you seeing this consistently every time you try to delete a custom field?

I just noticed that the same login entry has 2 items called Conflicts. I'm not sure what Conflicts are and if this night be related.

Conflict fields appear when 1Password is not able to tell which version of an item is newer. Data that cannot be merged will be stored in Conflict fields so that you can move the data to its proper location.

This could be related to your current issue: were you making changes to the same item on both your Mac and iOS device?

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for reply.
    I just tried to add text and subsequently delete it and all worked fine.
    As far as changes, I did not do any intentionally. But my login password was replaced with my security question password (again, I know I did not copy and paste theses passwords, at least not intentionally).
    Conflicts contained my "good" login password, so thank you for that feature, it saved me from resetting the login password.
    I'm assuming that since I have good passwords now for both Login and Security question, I could just delete the Conficts fields.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Fairgame,

You're correct, once you have ensured that the accurate information is where it should be, you can delete the Conflict fields. Our developers have recently fixed a bug where 1Password could incorrectly resolve conflicts, so you should see better behaviour here soon.

Please let me know if you notice that 1Password is not letting you delete custom fields again - if we can recreate this reliably, we can likely find a fix. :)

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member
    Options

I'll let you know if it does it again. Don't you hate these mysterious random behaviors. I'm sure I did something differently, I just have no idea what that was.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Fairgame,

Yes. Random and mysterious, while occasionally exciting in real life, are completely frustrating when trying to track down and fix a bug. :) Thanks so much for keeping an eye on things for us!

• WardenBrown
    WardenBrown
    Community Member
    Options

Same/Similar issue as @Fairgame‌ . I am running 1P4 4.5.3 on iOS 7.0.2 (iPhone). Syncing with Dropbox and also using 1P4 on Windows.

I discovered this on a Passport card. It may occur on other card types - I haven't checked yet. Here are the steps to reproduce:

First create a custom field in an existing card. The edit the card to delete the custom field:

1. tap on Categories icon at bottom
    2. choose Passport category
    3. choose your passport card
    4. tap on "Edit" at top right of display
    5. scroll to bottom of card.
    6. tap on the green plus icon next to "Add new field" and choose text (field type). A new field named "text" is added to the bottom of the card.
    7. enter any text into the value field.
    8. tap on "Done" at top right of display
      -> the edited card will be saved and synced to dropbox (I assume that is your setup)
      -> on a PC/Mac you should see that 2 changed files have been synced
    9. 1P4 should be displaying your passport card. Scroll to the bottom of the card and you should see the custom field that you just added
    10. tap on "<Passports" at top left of display to exit the card completely
      -> Now edit the card and delete the custom field:
    11. choose your passport card again
    12. tap on "Edit" at top right of display
    13. scroll to bottom of card. you should see the custom field created above
    14. tap on the red minus icon next to custom text field
    15. tap on delete on the right side to remove the field
    16. the custom field should be gone.
    17. tap on "Done" at top right of display to save and exit edit mode
    18. the passport card will be displayed AND at the custom the custom field will still be there.
  • Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @WardenBrown‌

Thanks so much for providing those steps! I've followed the instructions, and unfortunately I'm still not able to re-create this bug.

Can you confirm that you are seeing this reliably?

I'm also curious about your iOS version number. The most current version is 7.1.2. I'm assuming that's a typo (although it doesn't seem to be a simple one to make, key position-wise, anyway), but if you are still on 7.0.2, you might want to update. :)

• WardenBrown
    WardenBrown
    Community Member
    Options

Yes @Megan‌ you are right typo brain fade - I am running iOS 7.1.2.

Repeat reliably? Yes... to a point.

I don't add custom fields regularly (who does) and haven't had the need to delete a custom field.
    Having said that I can repeat it over multiple of my iOS devices.

I first discovered this on my wife's iPhone 5 (same setup, different dropbox account). Yesterday I could repeat it on my iPhone and iPad - which I did before posting. Today, I can still repeat it on my iPhone and iPad..

It occurred to me that if you could not repeat the problem them there may be some thing different about my Passport card.
    So I check and noted that my card (created long ago in 1P Windows 1.x) had a few other custom text fields and an attachment.
    I have created a few test passport cards (on 1PW 4.0.1.503) with different combinations of these parameters and test each with my steps to reproduce under iOS.

Starting after a reboot. Results (in order of testing):

• Passport (Test1) - new passport card with all fields filled in (no tags, custom fields or attachments). Result - custom field created and deleted OK.
    • Passport (Test2) - new passport card with all fields filled in and 2 custom fields (no tags or attachments). Result - custom field created and deleted OK.
    • Passport (Test3) - duplicate of my passport card (which removes the attachment). Result - custom field created and deleted OK.
    • Passport (original) - retested my original passport card (with attachment). Result - custom field created, but delete FAILED.

Further testing with new cards created with attachments in 1PW:

• Passport (TestA) - new passport card with all fields filled in and attachment added (no tags). - custom field created and deleted OK.
    • Passport (TestB) - new passport card with all fields filled in, 2 custom fields and attachment added (no tags). - custom field created and deleted OK.
    • Passport (original) - retested my original passport card (with attachment) again. Result - custom field created, but delete FAILED.
    • Passport (TestC) - exported Passport (original) and renamed it an imported the exported 1pif file. Result - custom field created, but delete FAILED.

This is perplexing, so I have also tried the steps to reproduce on some other existing cards:

• Social Security (no attachment) - FAILS
    • Credit Card (no attachment) - FAILS
    • Identity (no attachment) - FAILS (shows in iOS, but not in 1PW 4.x - so I can't get rid of it at all from iOS)
    • Software License (no attachment) - FAILS

The only common element is that existing cards were originally created with 1PW 1.x. These were all quite old records
    Can you repeat with a card created with an old version 1PW 1.x?

Further test of existing cards to find if it depends on card age:

• Membership (made in 2014, no attachment) - OK
    • Passport (original) - retested my original passport card - OK!!!.

This issue is probably not fixed, but I can't repeat reliably now so I wont test further today.

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks WardenBrown for all the testing. Great work!
    I have joined 1P4 at the end of 2013, so all my entries were done after that date, no 1PW 1.x

My problem occurred only in one login, right ofter I was forced to change password (website requires that every few weeks or so). That was the time I was editing my New Section entries, more or less with notes and comments for myself about the website, using iPad Mini.
    The field would delete, but would reappear as soon as Done was selected.

I had no need to do any similar changes to other login entries, as WardenBrown said, it is not needed that often.

I use Dropbox to sync iOS and OSX versions. Everything is to the latest version as far as I can tell. I also have Windows 1PW, but that one is used only occasionally via vmware. However, it is syncing via Dropbox as well.

• MikeT
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

@WardenBrown, wow, awesome job on figuring this out.

Can you do me a favor and try a few things:

1. Open 1Password on Windows, unlock, go to the File Menu > Repair 1Password Vault. Let it sync, and try again, did it help at all?
    2. If that didn't work, select the affected item in 1Password on Windows, go to the File Menu > Export, select 1Password Interchange File and Selected Items. Now, open the exported item, change the username, password, and the title before saving it. Now, import this into 1Password, and tell me if this imported item is also affected.

@fairgame:

The field would delete, but would reappear as soon as Done was selected.

What about in the Windows app, did it do the same thing or it only does that on the iPad mini?

• WardenBrown
    WardenBrown
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

@MikeT‌ it works OK on 1PW, that is how I repair the card after testing with iOS. So the problem is only on iOS. I can repeat on iPhone5 (x2) and iPad3 (Retina) running iOS7.1.2 and the latest 1P app.

My testing concluded because:

1. it was 3am, the Tour de France was finished and my wife was nagging me to go to bed.
    2. I could no longer repeat the problem after successfully edited a Membership card (made in 2014, no attachment)

I checked again last night after rebooting my iPad and the problem persisted.
    I will do further testing to night when I get home. I will try your suggestion (I suspect that it will work permanently) but first I need to satisfy myself on a couple of other matters. One being that I noted on a card where iOS can't delete a custom field, editing the name of that field will create a second custom field.

Step to reproduce:

1. Show your passport card (or other card known to fail)
    2. Tap on "Edit" at top right of display
    3. Scroll to bottom of card, tap on the green plus icon next to "Add new field" and choose text (field type). A new field named "text" is added to the bottom of the card. Enter any text into the value field, tap on "Done" at top right of display
    4. 1P4 should be displaying your passport card. Scroll to the bottom of the card and you should see the custom field that you just added. Tap on "<Passports" at top left of display to exit the card completely. Now edit the card and delete the custom field.
    5. Choose your passport card again, tap on "Edit" at top right of display, scroll to bottom of card. you should see the custom field created above and tap on the red minus icon next to custom text field. Tap on delete on the right side to remove the field and the custom field should be gone.
    6. Tap on "Done" at top right of display to save and exit edit mode. The passport card will be displayed AND at the custom the custom field will still be there.
    7. Edit the card again, scroll to bottom of card. you should see the custom field created above and tap on the field name to edit is and replace "text" with "Duplicate". Tap on "Done" at top right of display. to save and exit edit mode
    8. the passport card will be displayed AND at the custom the custom field "Text"will still be there AND the edited fieldname "Duplicate" will also be there.

If my logic is correct then this duplicate field phenomenon is a side effect of the original issue.

BTW @MikeT, I know this the wrong place, but when is @svondutch putting out the next beta of 1PW? I wasn't paying attention to the version numbers and updated to non-Beta 4.0.1.503 - now I have an annoying nag screeen every tim e I run it.

• MikeT
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi @WardenBrown,

Always listen to your wife. :P Please let us know how your testing turns out.

As for the windows beta, soon. If the license is expired, you can downgrade to beta 502 here.

• WardenBrown
    WardenBrown
    Community Member
    Options

Will do. Thanks for the link to Beta.502

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome!

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi MikeT

I just tried and replicated the issue.
    I use iPad mini retina with iOS 7.1.2, Verizon with cellular antenna. 1P4 version is 4.5.3
    I have regular login entry called Dummy to play and try different 1P4 features without actually using my real logins. Originally created late 2013 or early 2014, I do not know for sure.

1. Edit and add New Section. Then Add new field. Selected Text from 4 options.
    2. Renamed Text to something different (Test new text field).
    3. Added few random characters to the data part of this entry.
    4. Clicked Done and saw this new addition in the Login.
    5. Clicked Edit, selected red circle and deleted this new entry.
    6. Clicking Done appears to start some process and this new entry reappears split second later.

7. I created one more new entry as above, let's call it #2.

8. Now I have #1 and #2
    9. Deleted #1.
    10. Split second later #1 reappears, but in second position, below original #2.

11. Edit and delete the whole New Section. Works just fine, all new entries are gone.

12. Created New Section and Add new field.
    13. Deleted New field but left New section.
    14. New field reappeared.

15. Now I found a new twist to all of this. I just edited the data part of new text field.

16. Clicked Done. The new text appeared as expected, but the old one stayed as well, as a different entry. The old one is first, the new edited one is second.

MikeT, I have also sent to your support email sequence of pictures to help describe the steps.

1. By the way, I just tried the whole process again, and the Delete worked fine. Tried it one more time and Delete did not work?
  • WardenBrown
    WardenBrown
    Community Member
    Options

Further testing last night didn't add any new insight. But, I was able to reproduce the original behaviour found in testing on 13 July.

@MikeT‌ I have tried "Repair 1Password Vault" as per your request:

Open 1Password on Windows, unlock, go to the File Menu > Repair 1Password Vault. Let it sync, and try again, did it help at all?

I have about 500 records in 1P. File Menu > Repair 1Password Vault respond very quickly (<2s) with "Your 1Password Vault is healthy. No errors or problems have been found." I double checked the vault in Dropbox and confirmed that no files were updated. So nothing has changed and the problem still exists. (I really thought that you had a workaround solution there). Should it have processed all records in <2s? Seems too quick to me.

I have previously exported and imported passport card item - see Passport (TestC) from 13 July post. The imported item also had a problem. I think this is hat you wanted in the second part of your request. If not I need you to clarify.

If that didn't work, select the affected item in 1Password on Windows, go to the File Menu > Export, select 1Password Interchange File and Selected Items. Now, open the exported item, change the username, password, and the title before saving it. Now, import this into 1Password, and tell me if this imported item is also affected.

Do you want:

1. the record edited before exporting; or
    2. edit the exported record (in a text editor); or
    3. export, import and then edit the record before testing.

I am happy to repeat if desired.

BTW I am dealing with records that are no Logins, so no username passwords @Fairgame‌ is experiencing problems with logins, I haven't actually tried testing that type of record, but expect the same problem.

BTW2. How can I remove an attachment from a record in iOS or Windows?

• MikeT
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

I was able to reproduce the delete section issue in the current 4.5.3 stable version of the iOS app. The good news is that it has been fixed in the next version, 4.6 as I cannot reproduce it there.

The problem is that I can't promise the 4.6 update will actually fix your stubborn older items because I was able to reproduce this on brand new items. Unfortunately, our beta team is filled up at the moment, so we can't ask you to test it for now. You'll have to wait for our 4.6 update with the fix and test again.

I don't have a timeframe on the 4.6 update but we're aiming for before the iOS 8 release later in summer or fall.

@WardenBrown:

I have about 500 records in 1P. File Menu > Repair 1Password Vault respond very quickly (<2s) with "Your 1Password Vault is healthy. No errors or problems have been found." I double checked the vault in Dropbox and confirmed that no files were updated.

That's fine, it is not supposed to modify anything if there is no problem, and it only checks the contents file in addition to a few other things it does.

BTW2. How can I remove an attachment from a record in iOS or Windows?

You can't delete attachments on iOS at the moment. On Windows, select the attachment and go to the Edit Menu > Delete.

• WardenBrown
    WardenBrown
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT - I have been out of town for a couple of days. Will look forward to testing .6 when it is released.

Thanks for the heads up on deleting attachments. I wouldn't have thought to try Edit Menu > Delete (the same menu option that deletes the whole record). It would be excellent if you could right click on an attachment and choose Delete.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @WardenBrown‌

Thanks for the feedback. We'll do what we can to get the fix version out to you all just as soon as possible!

• rmsiegel
    rmsiegel
    Community Member
    Options

I just experienced the same issue. A delete section AND a delete field reappear after being deleted. It seems to reappear after the syncing finishes. I just sent an email and diagnostic info from my iPhone. I'm using version 5.1 (501017). Any ideas on this?

• Ben
    Options

@rmsiegel‌

We've received your report and our technical gurus will be reviewing it as soon as possible.

Thanks!

ref: MRE-72775-637

This discussion has been closed.