New passwords not being saved

Options
pomme4moi
pomme4moi
Community Member

OK, I must be doing something wrong. Here are the steps I follow to change a password for a web site.

1. Double-click on the Login item in 1P (using main 1P, not 1P mini) to log me onto the website. This works fine.

2. Navigate to the "change password" screen within the website. There are usually three fields to fill in: Current Password, New Password and Confirm New Password

3. To fill in the Current Password field, I copy the password from the Login entry in 1P (again, from the main 1P, not 1P mini) and paste it into the field

4. To fill in the New Password and Confirm New Password fields. I click on the key in the Safari toolbar to open 1P mini. Then I click on Password Generator. Then I click on Fill. This populates the two fields with the new password. Again, all works fine to this point.

5. I click the Save button on the website to save the new password. At this point, a 1P box sometimes appears asking if I want to save the new login information to my existing Login entry in 1P. I click yes, and all is well. The new password is reflected in my Login entry in 1P.

The problem is that that 1P box in step 5, the box asking me if I want to save the new login information, does not always appear. When it does not appear, the result is that the password for the website will have been changed, but 1P will not have recorded the new password in the Login entry. That forces me to manually find the new auto-generated password in under Passwords, copy it, then paste into the correct Login entry.

How do I get the 1P box in step 5 to always appear?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pomme4moi‌

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble updating your passwords. Our developers are working on making 1Password better at recognizing password change pages. If you have any specific sites that you remember 1Password did not prompt you to update your Login on, please send the URLs along to us so we can do some testing.

Now, 1Password has a handy feature that can help make things easier for you in cases where the 'Update Login' pop-up does not properly appear. By default, your newly generated password will be copied to your clipboard when you hit 'Fill'. To confirm that this is set, please click the arrow on the 'Fill' button: is 'Copy to Clipboard Before Filling' checked? When this option is checked, all you need to do once your password has been filled is edit the entry and paste the new password into the password field.

I hope this helps! Please do let us know a few trouble URLs so we can improve 1Password's behaviour here. :)

This discussion has been closed.