Forcing Sync

Options
MarkTheDaemon
MarkTheDaemon
Community Member

Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, more of a feature request than a support issue. Would it be possible to add a force sync button to the Mac version of the app like in the iOS version? I made some changes on iOS, synced them to iCloud however I was waiting around for the Mac to pick them up which it only did when I disabled and re-enabled the sync feature. It also isn't clear how frequently 1Password syncs, does this only happen when you make a change or at scheduled intervals to pick up changes that have been made by other devices?

A button on the preferences page would be most handy!

Cheers,

Mark

Comments

• samtheboo
    samtheboo
    Community Member
    Options

If you need it to sync, just lock and unlock 1Password, that's when it syncs. If that doesn't work, you can try adding a login, saving it, waiting 15-30 seconds, then deleting it. That works for me.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

As I understand it, Apple controls how often iCloud syncing happens, not 1Password. Sometimes it's just a matter of waiting a few minutes. On the other hand,, Dropbox seems to syne immediately whenever there is a change to the local Dropbox folder.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MarkTheDaemon‌

I just wanted to chime in here real quick and confirm what @hawkmoth said. 1Password is able to sync almost immediately using Dropbox. Whenever you make a change to an entry, 1Password will notify Dropbox and the changes will be synced to the cloud and your other devices.

Unfortunately, iCloud sync is still largely a black box to us. Apple hasn't allowed us much access to the inner workings of this process. So, when you sync via iCloud, 1Password will update the data in the sync location, but iCloud will sync to the cloud on its own schedule. This means that sometimes it may take 10-15 minutes for a change to sync to all devices. In this case, a 'Sync Now' button would have limited effectiveness, because we don't have that authority. ;)

I'm sorry that I don't have a better answer for you here, but I hope this explains things. Please let me know if you have any further questions, we're happy to help!

• MarkTheDaemon
    MarkTheDaemon
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for all your replies and for explaining the process iCloud goes through. Sounds like a bit of a nightmare for you! Will definitely consider switching to Dropbox for the sync rather than iCloud.

Cheers,

Mark

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Mark ( @MarkTheDaemon‌ ),

Thanks for the understanding! It can be a bit tricky to troubleshoot user issues when we know so little about the internal workings about iCloud, but since this service has only recently been made available to third-party developers, we're optimistic that things will become more user-friendly in the future. :)

Personally, I do use Dropbox for my 1Password data, and I have never had a problem.

• jkoe
    jkoe
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also having a problem on my Mac. I have 1Password5 for my Macs, 1Password for my iOS devices, and 1Password4 for my PC laptop, and I use dropbox for sync. My 1Password apps show the following:

• iPhone 6: 167 total/129 logins
    • iPad Air 2: 167 total/129 logins
    • iPad 2nd Gen: 167 total/129 logins
    • HP PC laptop: 129 logins (1Password4 doesn't show total items)
    • Mac Mini (2014): 167 total/129 logins
    • MacBook Air: 157 items/122 logins

I did the troubleshooting by logging into the HTML file in the keychain on DropBox which shows the full 129 logins, which means that my MacBook is not synching properly, even though it says it synced "30 seconds ago".

It seems to me that something can occasionally happen that causes sync to break on 1Password5. Not sure why my MacMini has the right amount but my MacBook Air does not.

I have a few steps that I will try to break the link to the keychain and then re-establish it, but I shouldn't have to do that.

• jkoe
    jkoe
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Solved the problem. It was my issue, but good for others to check.

Dropbox wasn't syncing on my MacBook. For some reason it was no longer launching on reboot, so every time 1Password attempted to synchronize, it was syncing with outdated data. Once I found the issue and restarted DropBox and DropBox sync, 1Password got caught up once again.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great to hear @jkoe, it's true, if the Dropbox service isn't running 1Password will stay believe it is syncing due the local data which is actually a strength of the system but only if you know Dropbox is hard at work :wink: I'm glad you managed to resolve it :smile:

This discussion has been closed.