Wifi Sync in Android

Comments

• crisbennett
    crisbennett
    Community Member

Crucial for me too. I can't find a practical (ie. non-manual!) way to keep my Android device sync'd now Dropbox is no longer a reasonable option.

• Thank you, I'll add your vote for this feature request.

• WiFi sync for Android becomes more important as Dropbox becomes a non-option for some people for humanitarian reasons. +1.

• loscamos
    loscamos
    Community Member

+1 For Wi-Fi Sync

• jrgarrigues
    jrgarrigues
    Community Member

+1 more for WiFi sync. Thanks...

• I'll pass on a few more votes for this. Thank you for the continued feedback!

• naomik
    naomik
    Community Member

+1 for wifi sync. I'd love to see this feature on all platforms.

Has it been added for Windows yet, too? I couldn't find specific support for wifi sync on your site.

• @naomik‌ WiFi sync has been added to the 1Password 4 beta on Windows. Are you a member of our Windows beta team? If you haven't already signed up for the 1Password 4 beta newsletter, you can do so here: https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html.

• ChoZanWan
    ChoZanWan
    Community Member

I'd love this to come to Android. I just can't seem to get a decent sync solution on Android via WIFI.

• spinksj
    spinksj
    Community Member

+1 for Wifi sync, I'm really surprised that it's missing. It's like having no ability to lock the application.

• samtheboo
    samtheboo
    Community Member

+1 More for WiFi sync.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I have zero faith in Dropbox as a secure repository.

That's good, because it's not a secure repository. It really doesn't matter though since 1Password's encryption is what is keeping your data safe, not Dropbox's "security".

• Thank you all for your votes for Wi-Fi sync support. I will add them to our internal issue tracker for our development team to review.

• WiFi sync is not currently supported in 1Password 4 for Android. We have received a number of requests for this feature - and we may add it in a future update - but for now the sync options available to you are Dropbox sync and Folder sync. We provide Folder sync as an "advanced" option as it allows you to manually choose how you would like to manage your data file. If, however, you would prefer not to have to manage this yourself, then you may find the Dropbox syncing option more appealing.

Given your concerns about Dropbox, I think that I should emphasize that we have designed 1Password so that you don't need to have faith in Dropbox's security. Our own @jpgoldberg‌ provides a good explanation of this here: blog.agilebits.com/2014/01/12/dropbox-breach-hoax-1password-security-master-password/

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

• frame
    frame
    Community Member
    edited June 2014

Every time I see someone recommending Dropbox (or iCloud) as a "serious" sync solution for 1Password I could freak out. Is everybody forgetting that URLs and titles are not encrypted and expose information that might be super vital to someone? Maybe it's not important to you guys, but please think before you declare uploading your 1PW database to a 3rd party service a non issue. For true privacy there is simply no replacement for WIFI Sync except copying files manually.

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014

I definitely understand your frustration, @frame and @spinksj‌.

Once we manage to get 1Password for Android to support the new .opvault (1Password 4 Cloud Keychain) format, then you can feel far more comfortable using Dropbox or any service. I can't make any promises at all about when that will happen, but that might reduce the demand for WiFi Sync. Though perhaps, WiFi sync may be available first.

As @mverde‌ pointed out. Folder sync is currently your alternative to Dropbox.

• jan1993
    jan1993
    Community Member

+1

• Hi @jan1993,

Thanks for adding your vote here! Your feedback is appreciated! :)

• +1337 for wifi sync on Android.

• Thank you for your feedback! I have added your vote. :)

• 1Jeff
    1Jeff
    Community Member

Oh, just to help things along - and to poke my head in after disappearing for years - +1 wifi sync. Just got around to buying 1P for Android and was very surprised to see that wasn't a v1 shipping feature! This is looking great guys - fantastic job!

• Thanks for your support @1Jeff‌. I will add your vote for this request. :)

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member

I'll add my vote to this request. I tried to sync manually via wifi with third party programs (like cheetah sync) but i had some problems, it's not always that reliable. I'm using Dropbox in the meantime although i'm not too fond of cloud sync and cloud in general; even if i'm syncing encrypted files.

• saad
    edited September 2014

We completely understand, thank you for your vote. :)

• tahspt55
    tahspt55
    Community Member

I currently have the Mac version 4.4.1 of 1Password. If I update to version 5 will I be able to wifi sync with my Galaxy S4?

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member

Hello @tahspt55‌,

The answer is no, that's why this topic was started ;) . Mac version of 1Password has Wi-fi sync, Android version does not...

• 1Password 4 for Android does not currently support WiFi sync. However, this is a popular feature request and with the recent improvements that were made to WiFi sync in 1Password 5, this is something that we are looking at for Android with renewed interest.

• EastM
    EastM
    Community Member

Need wifi sync for Android. The dropbox is blocked in china, so wifi-sync is more useful for android.

• We appreciate the feedback. I added your vote.

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member

So, i just tried to Wi-Fi sync my vault using Bittorrent Sync and the folder sync feature on Android. It works quite good actually. Of course it's a proprietary app but well, i'm using 1Password which isn't open source either. I just restricted access to the shared folder containing my vault in Bittorrent Sync so it just sync with specified IP and only on LAN.

It's a nice compromise while waiting for the introduction of Wi-Fi sync inside the Android app.

The only open-source (and more secure) alternative i found is Pulse (formerly SyncThing) but for the average user, it's a no-no because it involves a complicated setup.

This discussion has been closed.