Feature Request: Rename Vaults

Options
Jade Buxton
Jade Buxton
Community Member
edited June 2016 in Mac

Hi,

I have added a new vault to the latest 1Password for Mac and called it my name "Jade", however I wanted to change the name of the "Primary Vault" to my partners name "Matt". Is it possible to do this in the latest 1Password? I am syncing using dropbox.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi Jade,

Unfortunately at this time it is not possible to rename your primary vault. This is a popular feature request though, and I'm happy to add a vote for you to the issue in our internal tracker. :)

• smithphilip1
    smithphilip1
    Community Member
    Options

Would be great to be able to do this.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @smithphilip1‌

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here - I'll let our devs know that you're keen on a feature like this!

• Luds
    Luds
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, is there any development in being able to rename a primary vault to an other name ? I have not dared rename it in finder (mac) / explorer (Window) as I am uncertain about the result. Would this be one way to do it, and is it safe to do so ? Thank you for your reply.

• Hi @Luds,

Unfortunately, I don't have any further news on this feature. Sorry!

However, there is a workaround that allows you to change the name of a vault. Please see this guide for details:

Edit a vault's details

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

• André Bohnen
    André Bohnen
    Community Member
    Options

Please add a vote for me to this issue in your internal tracker.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @André Bohnen,

Consider it done. :)

• AKostur
    AKostur
    Community Member
    Options

+1. I've got a personal and work vault, and it would be nice to have both sides refer to the personal vault as "Personal Vault" (and work as "Work Vault").

• Thanks for the feedback, @AKostur. :)

• esvl
    esvl
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

+1 (I presume this is not possible to rename a secondary vault neither...)
    I shouldn't have named my vault "Shared w/ someone" that leads to "Shared w" as the folder name under Dropbox.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @esvl,

You're correct that this is not currently possible. I'm sorry for the inconvenience! I'll gladly add your vote to our internal tracker. Hopefully we'll be able to improve this in the future.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

ref: OPM-900

• Luds
    Luds
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @esvl,
    Maybe have a look at https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/196288 that gives a solution on how to rename the priamary vault. My guess is that it should be more or less the same for the secondary vault. I can confirm it worked for me for the primary vault. Luck luck ! :-)

• WGBeekhuis
    WGBeekhuis
    Community Member
    Options

Hallo,

Another method is:
    1. Export the Vault in the format 1Password Interchange Format (.1Pif) to a safe location (such as an empty USB-stick)
    2. Create a new vault with you desired specifications
    3. Import the .1Pif file
    4. Test the new created vault and check if all the items are imported and test some entries.
    5. Delete the .1Pif file secure (overwrite) or Format the USB-Stick with OSX Disk Utility
    6. Delete your unliked old vault or back-up this file for a while.

Greetings,

Willem
    The Netherlands - Zwolle

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Willem ( @WGBeekhuis ),

That will also work. :) You do mention securely deleting the .1pif file, but I just want to re-iterate that the .1pif file is unencrypted, so making sure that this file is securely deleted is very important.

Thanks for sharing those steps!

• cclakeman
    cclakeman
    Community Member
    Options

Please add my vote for this feature request. The steps shared by WGBeekhuis seem feasible but not necessarily a simple solution for those out there without confidence in their computer skills.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cclakeman,

We understand. As requested, I have added your vote to this issue in our issue tracker. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• WGBeekhuis
    WGBeekhuis
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @cclakeman
    I appreciate your comment but I like to explain my solution. The easy way is a build in feature of course but it is also important that you understand the other features in the software. For me it's important to try and test the functionality in 1Password. That is the reason for me to mention other solutions.
    I'm very happy with the fact that the 1Password teams involve the buyers and users of their product because that is one of the best insurances to improve the software.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ideally we will improve vault management but until we do so at least there are workarounds that will allow the determined to complete this task. This isn't to suggest that these workarounds should be how it is done, we do realise a more friendly solution is required.

• Thomas
    Thomas
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for renaming Vaults. I've got a team shared vault which would be very inconvenient to rename as lots of people would be affected … :-(

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Thomas,

Thanks for letting us know! I'll be happy to add your comments to our internal tracker. Hopefully we'll be able to add this in a future version.

• windrago
    windrago
    Community Member
    Options

Agilebits: What is the rational to not fulfill this type of request given the great push from the customer base?
    I understand stack ranking features however the lack of this feature impacts security and usability. Two assets that you have been greatly focusing on in the last two major releases.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hello @windrago,

I understand it must be annoying from a UI perspective, especially given the hoops you have to jump through to change a vault name locally but I don't see how it affects security, I may need you to help me out there. I also realise this has been a longstanding request that hasn't seen any love yet. The request hasn't been ignored, it's still there, waiting for attention so all I can do is apologise that it hasn't been attended to but sadly I can't promise that it is going to happen soon either. Sorry :(

• windrago
    windrago
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @littlebobbytables

To your specifics of why is also a security issue: since there's clearly a need from your customer base, that includes my multiple licenses of your product for multiple platforms, people attempt to find a workarounds. These workaround are leading to misuse of good and solid security/portability features. @Megan made her point well in this respect. It is not the product but the way your customers are going to use in lieu of the a basic renaming feature.

It is my perception that since not many of you are experiencing this discomfort the weight of the request seems more frivolous. That's where we've different views.

I understand that for your company the feature is not as critical therefore it gets pushed back. Thanks anyway for hearing though. I still love big time 1P and the team behind it, I just see the impact of success becoming a bit Microsofty in style on the product :-)

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @windrago,

It is my perception that since not many of you are experiencing this discomfort the weight of the request seems more frivolous. That's where we've different views.

Please don't misunderstand: what's important to our customers is important to us. We do take this request seriously, precisely because we have received so much feedback about it. That said, we also receive a lot of feedback about many other important features, and as you mentioned, it is a matter of prioritizing. Despite our success, we are still a team of less that 100 people total (quite a bit less), so things (like redesigning how vaults work) take time. It's important to us that you know we're listening to you, and I apologize if actions may seem to indicate otherwise here for the time being.

Your feedback has been recorded in our issue tracker. This issue has not been forgotten, and it is not considered frivolous or minor. We will be very happy to give 1Password this feature when we are able. :)

• dash4385
    dash4385
    Community Member
    Options

Please add renaming a vault a feature. Makes me Sad :'( every time I have change between vaults

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your feedback, @dash4385. Sorry this makes you sad! I've added your request to our issue tracker.

Meanwhile, have you seen the workaround suggestions posted by Jasper and WGBeekhuis earlier in this thread? Perhaps one of those can help you find some joy.

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

A +1 from me please. This was requested over a year ago now! A whole revamp of vault management would be amazing. I have commented on this several times I think. Being able to rename any vault, change their passwords, their icons, their colours, their syncing preference and any detail relating to any vault.

• Hey @rctneil! We appreciate you taking the time to let us know this would also serve you well. :) I've let our developers know about your request. I'd also suggest checking out the workarounds that Vee mentioned above.

• seltzdesign
    seltzdesign
    Community Member
    Options

Please add me to the list of requests for this feature. We use 1Password in our company and have recently had a name change. Even though the workarounds sound promising, having to change the settings on each computer seems like a bit of a daunting task. It would be so much easier to just rename the vaults. But I have hope it will come with the change-over of vaults to the new structure in light of the recent security issues with the vaults as they are right now.

Best, Armin.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@seltzdesign: Thanks for the feedback! It's certainly a feature we will consider adding in the future. But I was curious what you meant about changing the company's name. Do you mean that you'd named a secondary vault based on the company name? I can't imagine that the company's name was "Primary". ;)

But in all seriousness, while you understandably may not want to give actual names, could you give an example of the kind of vault setup you're using? It may help us offer better vault management options for you in the future. Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.