Can I import data from roboform 7 to 1Password without downgrade roboform to an earlier version?

Options
Anders Rödskar
Anders Rödskar
Community Member
edited July 2014 in Mac

Roboform has changed their export function in version 7 for PC. For this reason, Roboform users who are interested in using 1Password must downgrade to an earlier version of 6 in order to fully import the data to 1Password

I do not want to downgrade roboform to an earlier version. Is there an easier way ?

I also have installed Version: 1.8.4 RoboForm Everywhere on my new Mac

Comments

• Jasper
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi Anders,

I'm not familiar with the features of Roboform — in what way did its export function change? Does it allow you to export to a CSV file?

To import into 1Password 4, the data needs to be in a correctly formatted CSV file. You can find details here:

How can I import data from another application?

• Bob Dugger
    Bob Dugger
    Community Member
    Options

An extremely frustrated Roboform user that desperately wants to try 1Password 4. But with no functional method to import 600+ Roboform logins, I don't see a way to to spend $50 with you. Absolutely no method I've tried works (I tried the 1Password 3 workaround - it won't run the import. I can't even get the frikkin data to import in Lastpass and try to export from there into a usable 1P4 format.)

Devs - you are missing huge opportunities to pull from Roboform's userbase. Their support is crap; they make all but impossible to leave; but those of us that have been locked into their system for 8+ years are hurting and looking for a way out. I've got 29 days left on the trial if you want to make this work. But am I going to manually transfer 600+ items? NOT for $50. Not a chance.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Bob,

I'm so sorry for the trouble here. I'd love for you to get started on 1Password, and I certainly don't blame you for being a bit frustrated with the import process.

There is another option, and while it may sound like a bit more work at first, it can be a useful way to ensure your database is organized, and get to know 1Password at the same time. Download the free 30 day trial of 1Password 4 from our downloads page and ensure that the matching browser extensions are installed and that 'Automatically ask to Save new Logins' is selected in Preferences > General. Then, simply continue to log in to sites using Roboform. Each time a new username/password combination is entered, 1Password will pop up and ask you to save this information. By the end of your 30 day trial, you should have all of your important Logins and more saved in 1Password.

Please note, I don't have a Roboform install handy, but if it can fill data into the browser, then this should work nicely for you!

I know this isn't a perfect solution, and I've passed your thoughts along to our developers to see if we can't improve 1Password's behaviour here.

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns!

• RobLyn
    RobLyn
    Community Member
    Options

I know I can import passcards from robo, but how?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RobLyn,

I've merged your question with an existing discussion. Please note you will need to downgrade to Roboform 6 in order to ensure that your data is in a importable format for 1Password 4. I hope the above posts help, but if you have any further questions - we're here to help!

• bradhs
    bradhs
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I'm using Roboform for Mac v1.9.2 and would like to also try 1Password. Looking for a way to import.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bradhs, did you catch @Megan's post directly above yours? You will need to downgrade to Roboform 6 to get your data out of Robofrom. For some reason they removed the option to export your data in version 7 (and later?). :(

FWIW, you can and will always be able to export your data from 1Password into a usable format. We want happy users, not trapped ones. <3

If you are are still having trouble importing the data you exported from Roboform 6, please let me know. We can dig deeper.

Cheers!

• caebrasil
    caebrasil
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi, me too, want to import from Roboform.

To be clear, I love the way of Roboform catch and fill logins, honestly better then 1Password because there are a lot of websites that both 1Password and iCloud Keychain can't recognize the fields, I don't know exactly why, but Roboform always do it. Roboform have a nice way to fill, you can choose only fill fields, fill and login, fill all or only blank fields. In Windows I can even fill fields of apps like Outlook to create new accounts, Evernote, etc. Another great point about Roboform is about the way to merge/replace the same logins on the same domain but different URLs... but this may be because I'm used to the software and I'm new on 1Password. On my tests 1Password don't always recognize that I'm in the same website. And lastly, I can even fill with a login of any other website, not only the original registered. This worked great when Adobe bought Behance and they start to offer login on Behance's website with my Adobe user ID.

But 1Password have an amazing design and is not only about web logins, that's why I bought 1Password. I love the way of 1Password stores different kind of informations by type, like Software Licenses. It's about UX mainly.

The problem is how to import. I'm using Roboform since 2005 and I have almost a thousand of logins, so the way that Megan suggests is not an option for me. A thousand and there are no duplicates! I've tried some months ago back to Roboform 6 and then export, but a lot of characters came wrong (on portuguese we use a lot of accents), so I gave up on importing.

It would be great if there were some other more friendly way to import my data, as eWallet or SplashID (I used both and have imported them without problems). Meanwhile, I will continue using both: Roboform for logins and 1Password for all the other things.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for your kind words about 1Password, @caebrasil‌! They are very much appreciated. I wish I could help you more with the export from Roboform, but you would need to contact the developers of Roboform in order to get them to implement a usable export. 1Password can import standard CSV among other formats, but the data from Roboform 7 and later is simply not in a machine-readable format. It makes it very hard (if not impossible) for 1Password to import the data. I wish we had more control over the Roboform export. If we did, we'd be happy to improve it. Sadly, we do not have access to their source code, and cannot improve their app for them. :(

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bradhs and @caebrasil,

Our friend @gius‌ posted details of the method he used for getting RoboForm data into 1Password 4: here (post #28). After step 5, an alternative would be to import the "printed to HTML with 'full URLs'" passcard data into 1Password for Windows instead of using 1Password 3 for Mac. Then you could sync (or export/import) that data between 1Password for Windows and 1Password 4 for Mac.

Hopefully this information is helpful for you, even without a direct data migration path between RoboForm 7 and 1Password.

ref: DOCS-154

• caebrasil
    caebrasil
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @khad, don't worry, I understand. :)
    Thank you @sjk! I will need a free time to try it. :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

On behalf of @sjk, you are quite welcome! Please do let us know how it goes or if there is anything else we can help with. :)

• Matt King
    Matt King
    Community Member
    Options

Hi everyone, I am a Mac user on the latest version of Mavericks, I have the latest version of Roboform for mac installed and just paid for 1password 5 also got 1 password 3 from this thread to use the import feature, I have found the print list feature in Roboform for mac but it does not allow me to specify full urls, I am only on mac so I can't install the old windows version to enable me to do that but wondered if anyone knows if an older version of Roboform for mac allowed this to be done.

If not is there any other newly discovered methods or alternatively is there a way to use the WINONX mac app to help me or another quick way of running a version of windows on my mac.

Thanks

Matt

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Matt!

Have you tried using Print List… in RoboForm for the Mac to see what data shows up even without a Full URL option? Does only the domain name appear instead of the full URL?

A search for RoboForm on the WinOnX Compatibility page shows some "No error reports" for parts of RoboForm 6-9-92, but I don't know if that's capable of running 1Password for Windows or importing .rfp files copied from the Mac version.

Currently your best bet appears to be getting trusted resources for using a procedure like mentioned in post #11. I'm still looking into a Mac-only method and will let you know what I come up with. Sorry I'm lacking a full answer or, even better, a solution for you right now.

ref: DOCS-154

• Juice370
    Juice370
    Community Member
    Options

For anyone interested. RoboForm support say this is the way to export data to CSV:

Click the RoboForm icon > Editor > press the RoboForm button at the top left > Print List > Logins
    Once the List is displayed, select Save. This will open the Windows File Explorer to save the file as an HTML file. Then you can open this file in Excel and save it as CSV.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Juice370, thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about that! I haven't been able to try that myself, but those look like helpful steps for other users in this situation. We appreciate it! :smiley:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I'm not seeing the full URL on the Windows version ( 7.9.11.1). For example, the URL:

https://online.citibank.com/US/JSO/signon/LocaleUsernameSignon.do?locale=en_US

is saved in the exported HTML as (a slightly obscured version of):

Citibank.com

I believe this is a well-known limitation of Roboform beyond version 6.9.99.

This discussion has been closed.