Chrome Extension Disabled. Not Available in Webstore

I just started my notebook and opened Chrome. Got a message that "Chrome had disabled some extensions that are not available in the webstore" or words to that effect. I checked my Chrome extensions in tools and sure enough it is disabled, is greyed out and cannot manually be re-enabled. There is a message beside it that says: "Not from Chrome Web Store." I checked my version of the extension against the one at the Agilebits website. I have the current version: 3.9.21. My Chrome is also up to date. My 1Password is up to date. Just scanned the forum under extensions and don't see anyone else with this problem. So I'm the first! What do I do?

Comments

• herebedragons69
    herebedragons69
    Community Member

Oh wait. My 1password was not up to date. Updating now...

• celerity
    celerity
    Community Member

Got the same problem. My 1P and Chrome are up to date.

• herebedragons69
    herebedragons69
    Community Member

ok. so after the update it still was disabled. so i removed it from Chrome. went to the agilebits 1password browser extensions downloads page, clicked "download" next to Chrome which took me to the Chrome web store and I installed it from there and voila! I am up and running again. So there you go you goose.

• celerity
    celerity
    Community Member

Yeah, had to re-download it from Chrome extension web site.

• SWCarson
    SWCarson
    Community Member

I installed the extension from the Chrome store. It is v3.9.21.90. But when I enter my password it just sits there with "Connecting" and a count that counts up forever.

How do I tell the 1Password extension where my 1Password file is? I don't see any way to point it to the file.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @herebedragons69‌ and @celerity‌

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with the Chrome extension, but I'm so glad to hear that reinstalling from the Chrome website got things working for you again.

Please let us know if you run into any further snags, we're happy to help!

Hi @SWCarson,

We'll need to take a closer look at your system here to determine where things are getting tangled up. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• SWCarson
    SWCarson
    Community Member

Hmmm... Didn't get a chance to follow these steps before the problem magically went away. Still wish I understood how the Chrome extension finds out where my 1Password Data file (*.agilekeychain) is. It is definitely looking at the right file now but I can't see how it knew where to look.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SWCarson,

I'm so glad to hear that things are working for you again! I'll do my best to explain where things may have gotten tangled up for you.

In 1Password 3, the main app and the browser extension are separate entities and maintain their own copies of your 1Password database. They communicate by means of a 'Helper' over web sockets. This ensures that the data in the extension's database stays up-to-date, and any changes made to your database via the extension get synced over to the main app.

If this communication is blocked somehow, you'll see that 'Connecting' message: the extension is trying to reach out to the Helper to determine if it needs to make any updates to the database, but is unable to make a connection. Firewalls can sometimes cause trouble here - a Diagnostics Report would tell us for sure where things are getting tangled up.

I hope that 1Password behaves nicely for you from now on, but if you do see this message again, feel free to send in the Diagnostics Report and our support team will help get you sorted out!

• SWCarson
    SWCarson
    Community Member

Thanks for the explanation. My guess is that I restarted the PC somewhere in there and maybe that gave a chance for the main app and browser extension to get talking to each other again. A restart is worthy a try if anyone else gets stuck in "Connecting..."

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SWCarson‌

As a person who often forces her poor computer to go weeks and weeks without a restart, I am well-aware of the value of a fresh start every now and then. ;) I'm glad to hear it worked for you!

This discussion has been closed.