1P doesn't handle multi-field usernames [Aeroplan.ca]

Options
johnclay
johnclay
Community Member
edited June 2014 in Mac

Hello,

1P doesn't handle multi-field usernames, such as http://www.aeroplan.ca, and instead only saves the last group of numbers. If I edit the saved item to include the full username, 1P fills the entire username into a single field.

Any plans for multi-field support?

1Password 4.4.1 (441008),
1Password Safari extension 4.2.2b1

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The usual way to cure problems like that is to re-create and save the login manually. Does that work for you?

Stephen

• johnclay
    johnclay
    Community Member
    Options

Sort of.

That works on the login page that comes up after you fail the initial login, but when you use the login at the top of the page, it fails every time. Manually saving the password saves just an "s" as the username, and filling in a manually saved login just dumps the entire username into the last field of the username.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The problem is I'm not a member so can't find any way to get to a login page to test it. You might be able to make some further progress if you edit the best working login you have to date, click on show web form details towards the bottom of the item and amend any misbehaving fields manually. For the moment, that's my only other idea I'm afraid.

Stephen

• davidswanson
    davidswanson
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same problem. My solution was to tell the Aeroplan site to remember me and then the 3 boxes containing the Aeroplan number are already filled. 1Password then handles the password function. Not the way it ought to be but it works.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

Have you try using the dedicated login page here: https://www3.aeroplan.com/log_in.do

See if that'll work better. You may have to save a new Login on that page to make it more accurate.

• jeanlyons
    jeanlyons
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

reposted in general Mac discussions as this is not a beta issue

• jeanlyons
    jeanlyons
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using 1pw 4 for mac on a MacBook Air running 10.9.5 Safari 7.1. Can't get aeroplan to work and have tried all the tips I could find in the forum.

• I've gone to the (new) aeroplan dedicated login page (https://www4.aeroplan.com/login/auth.do),
    • i've tried using Command\ - it replaces the last number box with the first 3 digits of my aeroplan number (whether it's blank or not)
    • I've tried manually saving, and it dumps everything into the last box
    • I've tried doing what worked in 1PW 3 (a suggestion from 2011 that used web form data) and it didn't work.

So the only thing that works is to let the website remember me so that the aeroplan number is there, then copy and paste the password from 1PW.

Anything a bit more automatic?

Thanks - it's a great program anyway. I'm used to Aeroplan being annoying, doesn't surprise me that the login page is too.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@jeanlyons‌ I have moved your post from the beta forum to the Mac forum and merged it with the other thread dealing with a similar issue.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jeanlyons‌

Now I don't have an account with aeroplan but I was able to get 1Password to fill the four boxes successfully.

I entered my fake data into all four boxes and performed a manual save. It then set my username to the last triplet of the fake number i.e. I entered 123 456 789 and the resulting Logins item had username set to 789.

I played about with it a bit but I found I just couldn't use the default username field.

So set up like that it seems to work for me. Can you replicate my success? Basically I changed CUST3 in the web form details section from username to the blank option, removed the username from above and then added a custom field to record the username for my own records. That seemed to work.

• jeanlyons
    jeanlyons
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables Thanks for trying that. Are you using 1pw4? What you did worked for me when I was using 1pw3, but not now. I even - just on the off-chance it's sorcery rather than coding - changed the website address from https://www4.aeroplan.com/login/auth.do to the one you have but it redirects back to www4 ... and anyway no joy. I have no username, I have my three number sets and the password in Web form details, and it just nicely inserts the password with no numbers. Although now that I've tried so many things to make it work I finally have my aeroplan number memorized. Sigh.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jeanlyons‌

My own version of 1Password is 1Password 5 (MAS) with Safari 8 and 1Password extension v4.2.5. We should both be using the same extension version and I'd hope the differences in versions of 1Password & Safari wouldn't have an impact. However I will verify this with my other machine once I'm back in front of it.

I tried making a new Login using our guide for Saving a Login Manually and I could replicate my findings from before. While I don't have an actual account to properly test, I can get it to fill in the three boxes for the Aeroplan number and the Password, regardless of the address starting with www3 or www4.

1. I enter my fake data into the four relevant boxes and follow the guide for Saving a Login Manually. That yields me the following login and without any alterations that actually works for me as in it submits all four boxes.

1. I make my first edit, and change the CUST 3 field from being flagged as the username to just the blank option (see below) and then I click the Save button

1. I then edit it again and change the username to the full number so the Login shows you the useful information when you're looking at it and I save again (see below).

The result is a Login item (for me) that will submit the Aeroplane number into the three boxes and the password into the password field.

As I say, I'll see if 1Password 4 and whatever version of Safari I'm running on my Mavericks server behave any differently once I have access to the machine again.

• jeanlyons
    jeanlyons
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @littlebobbytables! Thank you! I hadn't looked here for a bit. I continue to have the same annoyances with Aeroplan, and now Altitude (another Air Canada annoyance for frequent flyers) and the Air Canada site itself. But this last post of yours might actually have the secret. I hadn't noted changing the last 3 number field from being flagged as User. When I have a moment in the next couple weeks, I'll try this out and let you know. I have to book a flight soon anyway... I'm also about to upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite, and from 1pw4 to 1pw5. So perhaps somewhere along the way something will work. Or break. I'll let you know.
    thanks again, j

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Do keep us informed @jeanlyons :smile:

We're working on a new filling logic so we may have to look at this again in the future but even if we do that's no problem, we can work with you to get a working Login item.

• fisherg
    fisherg
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    Trying to get 1Password on Mac v5.3 to log into Aeroplan website automatically.
    I tried following suggestion above, but I can't get it to fill in the cust1, cust2 and cust3 fields!

It either only fills in the password, or fills in the cust3 and password.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here is my configuration for the login:

Thank you,

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fisherg,

Since I wrote that post in December we've released newer versions of both 1Password for Mac and the extension (5.3 for the Mac App Store, 5.3.2 for AgileBits Store and 4.3.1 for the extension). These were big releases because we moved to a new filling logic which meant a big upheaval. I've gone back and tested https://www4.aeroplan.com/login/auth.do and what I've found is that I no longer have to do anything to the Login that is created when I follow the How to manually save a Login guide.

So in Safari 8.0.6 I visit https://www4.aeroplan.com/login/auth.do and fill in the four fields. I create a brand new Login item and that item filled in everything without alteration required.

What I do notice is that if you created your Login item via the browser then it would seem to have been done on a PageNotFound page for aeroplan. I think if you create a new one using the url above and the guide you will hopefully find as I do that it simply just works now. If you don't find this to be the case do please let us know :smile:

• fisherg
    fisherg
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    Changing the web page url in the 1password entry fixed the problem.
    It must have been saved there at some point during my many attempts to get this to work, problem is when login fails, the website directs you to an alternate login page.

Thank you,

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad to hear you've got a working Login item once again @fisherg :smile: If we can be of any more assistance just give us a yell :smile:

This discussion has been closed.