Character 1, 3 and 7 of your password

Options
pw998c
pw998c
Community Member

Not sure if you've had any comments/requests on this before (I wasn't sure of a good search term).

What would be great is a solution to the websites that asks for specific characters from your password.

An idea could be to identify a password as being used in this manner (e.g. Character Request Password).

Then when clicking the unlock icon on a website, rather than attempting to autofill, this password field could be slid in from the right hand side with each character identified with it's position (1 to Length of password). The user then has the ability to 'roll' this column up and down to see each character for long passwords and then enter manually, or even select the letters for copy & paste.

You could even apply something similar on your other 1Password apps.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @pw998c‌

Thanks for the feedback. We have indeed had similar suggestions in the past and are considering some sort of solution to this problem for the future.

Thanks again!

Ben

• nimbus
    nimbus
    Community Member
    Options

I'd be interested in this feature too. I am forever being asked for characters 23 & 37 - the price of having a strong password I guess.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @nimbus,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here. I've added your vote to the existing issue in our internal tracker.

ref: OPM-1720

• stukey
    stukey
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan or @bwoodruff‌. Is there any update on this feature request? More and more of my websites (particular financial services) are using the 'enter characters 5, 9 and 26' approach to passwords and it's really fiddly to do this using 1Password at the moment. Manually counting each character in a password is really painful, especially as I have found that 1Password Mini on the Mac (v5.1, OS X 10.10.1) truncates the display of the password field when holding down OPT/ALT to make the password visible (seems to be a bug that only occurs if you have anchored the login window). So you can't properly read long passwords in order to count which characters you need to manually enter in to the log-in screen.

Fixing the password display truncation issue and maybe providing a visible 'character counter guide' above the password display so that you can easily locate the required characters of the password would be really useful.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stukey,

Thanks for checking in on us! I don't have an update for you at this time, but I'll remind our developers that you'd like to see some progress here. :)

This discussion has been closed.