Windows 8.1 Update 1 Issues with V4

Options

I installed V4 without installing V1, I don't know if that caused my issues but figured I would mention it.

When I start 1Password the helper does not start, and no icon in the notification area, even with the proper preference set. In order to get the icon to show up I have the use the Restart Helper option in the Help menu. Then I get the icon but it's always the locked icon. In order to get it to show the current state I have to then lock 1Password and then unlock it. From then on the icon shows the proper state but I have to repeat these steps after every reboot.

The other issue I am having is Ctrl-C no longer copies my password to the clipboard, instead I get an odd onepassword://share/1?d=********* where **** are a long 600 - 700 character seemingly random set of characters, numbers and symbols. I have to go and click the icon next to the password field in order to get it properly copied to the clipboard. Minor but annoying.

I uninstalled V1 and V4, restarted and installed V4 but that did not solve either issue.

Any thoughts, should I send and email to support+windows@agilebits.com?

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

1Password components (app and helper) always start locked, even if the other component is unlocked. When you unlock one of them it will try to tell the other to also unlock. However, if one component is unlocked and you start the other then the unlocked one does not know to poke the newly started component.

You don't need to lock and unlock the app to unlock the helper. You can simply right click on the icon in the systray and select unlock, or you can try to use one of the browser extensions and it will force an unlock attempt.

This discrepancy in lock states has been reported several times and it apparently will not be changed.

• OneAngryMonkey
    OneAngryMonkey
    Community Member
    Options

The main app and the helper should start together like they do on my Windows 7 machine. On my Windows 7 machine when I start 1Password the main window comes up and the helper shows up in the notification area, both locked as expected. When I unlock the main app, the helper unlocks as well, always reflecting the state of the main app. There is no need to restart the helper, there is no need for a manual poke in either direction.

On my Windows 8 machine once I go through the required gyrations to get everything synced up it all works as expected. Based on the differences there is either an issue with the Windows 8 implementation or there is an issue with installing alongside the previous 1Password version, as my Windows 7 install was the first time any version of 1Password was installed on that machine.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I'm on Windows 7 and I had 1Password v1 installed before v4 and did not experience this.

The app should not need to launch the help when it runs. The helper should be starting with Windows. Check your Run keys in regedit.

It should be in one of these keys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

You should see Agile1PAgent.exe listed in one of them.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

When I start 1Password the helper does not start, and no icon in the notification area, even with the proper preference set.

The helper should start automatically on system (re-)boot.

The other issue I am having is Ctrl-C no longer copies my password to the clipboard

Correct. Ctrl+C copies the entire item to the clipboard.

• OneAngryMonkey
    OneAngryMonkey
    Community Member
    Options

Ctrl+C copies the entire item to the clipboard, to what end? What is the expected workflow now in V4?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Ctrl+C copies the entire item to the clipboard, to what end? What is the expected workflow now in V4?

You can paste the item into another vault. Or you can paste it into the same vault, hereby basically duplicating the item.

• OneAngryMonkey
    OneAngryMonkey
    Community Member
    Options

ok, makes sense. I only have one vault, is there a new key combo shortcut for V4 that copies only the password to the clipboard?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

is there a new key combo shortcut for V4 that copies only the password to the clipboard?

Not yet. What keyboard shortcut would work for you?

• OneAngryMonkey
    OneAngryMonkey
    Community Member
    Options

Well if it's going to be a code change then I would suggest make it configurable, but that's my default, make everything configurable and everyone can be happy. I also know that adding options adds complexity so if making it configurable is out then maybe Ctrl+Shift+C? Basically anything lower left on the keyboard so I can copy the password to the clipboard without taking my hand off the mouse works for me. Although that might not work for lefties, so you should make that configurable too :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Basically anything lower left on the keyboard so I can copy the password to the clipboard without taking my hand off the mouse works for me.

Ahh, classic right hander bias! :P

• MikeT
    edited June 2014
    Options

On Mac, the Copy Password shortcut is Command + Shift+ C, so it would make sense to use Control + Shift + C on Windows.

One more thing, if you're using the 1Password extension, you can Control + click on the item to copy its password.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On Mac, the Copy Password shortcut is Command + Shift+ C, so it would make sense to use Control + Shift + C on Windows.

I have added this to build #496

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Don't forget that clicking on the Copy icon next to the password field (in the details area) copies the password to the clipboard. There's a Copy icon next to the username and a few other fields, as well. Very useful and no need to take your hand off the mouse. :)

• OneAngryMonkey
    OneAngryMonkey
    Community Member
    Options

Clicking the copy icon was the work around I was using, it was less than ideal, taking more time to do the same thing with no additional benefit is a regression in my profession. It was replaced with something else, which makes upgrading jarring, and while the new feature looks like it will be useful as I explore multiple vaults and I would like for it to stay I was left with a minor annoyance every time I used the application that I didn't have with the previous version.

Since I use 1Password for Mac at home and 1Password for Windows at work I liked the point Mike T made about having a comparable key combo do the same thing on both platforms. I updated by 1Password for Windows this morning and saw the feature there.

I just wanted to come back to the forum to say thanks. Thanks for listening, thanks for considering and thanks for implementing. It's like having the thorn removed from my paw.

• MikeT
    Options

Thanks for listening, thanks for considering and thanks for implementing. It's like having the thorn removed from my paw.

You're absolutely welcome! Please keep sending more of your feedback as we want to keep improving 1Password for you and everybody else. 1Password wouldn't be where its at without our awesome customers.

This discussion has been closed.