Rich Icons - Won't display on iPhone/iPad

Options
Nexus6
Nexus6
Community Member
edited June 2014 in iOS

Dear AgileBits,

I purchased 1Password 4 a couple of months ago for my iPhone 4 and iPad Mini (both recently updated to iOS 7.1.1.), and generally like it a lot. That being said, despite having the "Show Rich Icons" option on, the app has never displayed them.

I'm also having the same issue with 1Password 4 for my Mac (running OS X Mavericks), also purchased within the past couple of months, where Rich Icons have never displayed. I've read about this as a recurring issue across various releases and devices in these forums, but can't find a solution that fixes the issue.

For my iPhone and iPad, I've tried switching the Rich Icon option on and off, have rebooted my iPhone/iPad and had initially uninstalled and tried reinstalling the app -- all without a resolution.

On the Agile 1Password 4 Knowledgebase page for Mac, there's a broken link to this issue ("Why don't I have any rich icons appearing?") (http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/KB/no-rich-icons.html), where clicking on it shows a "404 Not Found" error. Within the past couple of months, there was an explanation on this page about an issue with Amazon's Cloud Front content distribution service, which had apparently prevented the icons from appearing.

Not sure if this might be helpful, but some of the entries include Amazon, Aeroplan (Air Canada), Koodo, Rogers (Canadian mobile/ISP), Blue Cross, Steam (online gaming), eBay, PayPal and Skype.

I'm not sure if there's a solution that I've somehow missed to making Rich Icons display on my iPhone, iPad and Mac, and my apologies if it's been posted here already, but I'd appreciate your help to resolve this.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Nexus6,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with rich icons. There were some issues with the server previously, but the bugs have been squashed and your rich icons should be displaying, provided that you have the setting enabled, of course. Could you please check in the entries that are not displaying rich icons and confirm that they all have the appropriate URL? The icons are downloaded based on the website listed in the entry.

If all entries have the appropriate URL, please disable the rich icons option on all devices, restart and then re-enable. Does this help?

• Nexus6
    Nexus6
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan.

Many thanks for the prompt reply. As a relatively new 1Password user, it turns out that the problem was with my own misunderstanding of the way that the software works. For some reason, I'd thought that rich icons were displayed simply based on entry of the company name into the main header field. Of course, as soon as I began to enter URLs, I found that the rich icons began to display -- so problem partially solved!

That being said, there are still some icons that don't display, notably, one for a well-known airline's loyalty program (which I've filed under the Rewards Programs category and have assigned the URL under the "website" field:

Aeroplan (Air Canada)
    www.aeroplan.com

There are some others, too, but this is just one example. Any thoughts about why it might not display?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @Nexus6,

I'm so glad to hear that you're seeing rich icons now! Please note that rich icons are a Login feature (EDIT: they'll show up in Software Licenses as well.) But you won't see these fancy icons in other categories such as Rewards Programs. If you save a Login for your Aeroplan account, to help you easily log in to the website, you'll see the appropriate icon for that entry.

I hope this clears things up - I know there are a lot of things for new users to get used to, so please keep the questions coming! :)

This discussion has been closed.