Complications when changing between MAS and webstore version

Options
odysseus
odysseus
Community Member
edited June 2014 in Mac

1Password4 (4.4.1) is great as long as the user doesn't make major configuration changes like switching from the web store to the MAS version, or from iCloud to Dropbox syncing -- because when s/he does, big, annoying problems arise.

1. Switching from the web store to the MAS version still causes a dreaded sequence where 1Password acts like it's starting for the first time with the "Let's get started" screen upon launch. Somehow I get this to resolve by restarting my Mac and praying …

2. The problem with changing sync methods is really difficult. Basically, after changing methods, to be safe, instead of merging, I want to download a new copy of the data store from the cloud. It's easy to do this with the 1Password iOS client because there's a feature under "Advanced" that allows the user to delete data and settings. On a particular iOS device, the user can stop the sync, delete data and settings, and enable the sync. But with Mac OS X running on a second computer, things aren't so straightforward. There's no option to delete data and settings. You have to merge. And if you try to disable sync, delete the data manually by putting it into the trash and emptying the trash, and then enabling the sync, what happens is the 1Password will only download the changes since the last sync! Deleting the MAS version of the app and reinstalling didn't help -- in fact, I ran into the problem detailed under #1! And then something really weird started to happen where 1Password was syncing changes to Dropbox every second or so, finding conflicts, etc! The only way I solved this was to delete 1Password and then, using a file finder utility, delete every file and folder containing the string "agilebits."

So please, pretty please, could you allow the user to delete data and settings in the OS X version of 1Password, just as with the iOS version?

Comments

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited March 2014
    Options

Upgrading my wife's 1P3 (purchased from your web site) to 1P4 MAS has been anything but easy. The first hurdle came when I simply downloaded 1P4 MAS without deleting 1P3. The MAS app put 1P4 inside a "1Password" folder, and when I moved the 1P4 app to the root level of /Applications and deleted the initial copy after running it, I think I ran into the problem where one has two running copies of 1Password mini, and 1P4 shows no entries :(

I think I've resolved that problem by deleting everything and reinstalling 1P4 MAS, but the problem now appears to be that every time 1P4 is launched, it puts up that supposedly one-time window illustrating all the great new features in 1P4. How can I disable this?

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

Followup: no, I don't think the problem is having 2 copies of 1P mini running. I followed Roustem's instructions for starting over by deleting the 1P folder in ~/Library/Containers -- in fact, I deleted 2 such folders. When I launched 1P4 again, my wife saw the one-time window again, answered the questions -- and 1P4 opened with no entries visible!

Please advise. Should I try the non-MAS version? My wife has very little tolerance for computer problems, and she's already requesting that I downgrade her to 1P3!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @odysseus,

I'm sorry to hear that your wife's upgrade to 1Password 4 has gotten off to a rough start.

So we can quickly get details about the current state of 1Password on your wife's Mac, please send us a Diagnostics Report from there, along with a link to this topic, to support+forum@agilebits.com. A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful.

Once we see the report we'll be able to better help you get this upgrade sorted out directly through email. Thanks in advance!

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited March 2014
    Options

I have to say that this shouldn't be happening. If I delete everything related to 1Password and reinstall, it should work. This may be a result of the %^&$* sandboxing which you have no control over, but it's just too complex for many users and is discouraging.

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @odysseus,

I am very sorry for the trouble here. You're right, it shouldn't be happening.

I was able to find your email, but there was no Diagnostics Report attached. Could you please try emailing us another Diagnostics Report from the Mac having the issue, along with a link to this topic, to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Thanks!

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited March 2014
    Options

Done. Sorry it took so long.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

1P definitely isn't keeping preferences (under "General") across launches, and when I quit 1P, I'm asked if I want to enable 1P mini, even though it's already running :(

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

Hello? Have you had a chance to look at the report? My next step will probably be to try the web version, but I thought it might be useful for you all to have a look at a problem with the MAS version.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi @odysseus,

We have received your Report, thanks so much for sending it in. Someone from our support team will respond directly via email so that we're not duplicating efforts or otherwise muddling things up between here and there.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There are very good knowledge base articles on:

Migrating from MAS to web store version

Migrating from the beta to the Mac App Store version

(Note that the latter is effectively the same as migrating from the AgileBits store version to the MAS version)

Starting over

Stephen

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

Thanks. I would argue that things shouldn't be this complicated.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @odysseus‌

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble here. I hope that @Stephen_C's steps helped. In general, switching between Mac App Store and webstore versions and switching sync solutions should be a fairly rare occurrence. Hopefully you find the version and sync solution that best fits your needs and stick with that.

However, if you do need to change sync solutions, please let us know and we'd be happy to provide some steps for you. :)

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

Right now, I'm not seeing agreement between the versions of a 1Password vault on two different Macs synced via Dropbox; one reports 802 items, the other 805. How can I resolve this difference? I would like to start over on the Mac reporting 802 items and download what is in the cloud, so to speak, instead of merging. This is why I asked above, "could you allow the user to delete data and settings in the OS X version of 1Password, just as with the iOS version?"

Please provide steps on how to do this.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @odysseus,

If you would like to start over on your Mac, you can follow the directions here: Starting Over (which @Stephen_C linked to above.)

However, it sounds to me like either sync has become disconnected, or you may be dealing with multiple keychains in Dropbox. I'd like to take a closer look at your system here to determine where things are getting tangled up. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

(Please be sure to select the tab that corresponds to the version of 1Password you have installed currently)

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

After I followed the steps outlined in Delete Primary Vault?, post #3, all seemed fine until I relaunched 1Password -- now I see the "Welcome to 1Password4" window. Even if I go through the reestablishing the settings, if I quit 1Password and relaunch, I see that dreaded window again. On the second relaunch, I see the window again, but after I click "Awesome. Let's get started", my password file is opened and I don't have to set the preferences again. On the third relaunch, I'm asked whether I want to Enable 1Password mini -- but it was already enabled in preferences. On the 4th relaunch, I see "Welcome to 1Password4" again. I click on "Awesome," and I see my list of 1Password entries. I go into prefs, and I see that "Always keep 1Password mini running" is UNCHECKED. I check that, and uncheck "show mini app icon in the menu bar." I quit 1Password, and relaunch for the 5th time. I see "Welcome to 1Password4" yet again! If I go into preferences, "Always keep 1Password mini running" is still UNCHECKED!! Can you please try to fix this bug?

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi,

I used these "starting over steps" given by MikeT to resolve the problem:

When I did so, this is what happened:

All seemed fine (sync counts concurred) until I relaunched 1Password -- now I see the "Welcome to 1Password4" window. Even if I go through the reestablishing the settings, if I quit 1Password and relaunch, I see that dreaded window again. On the second relaunch, I see the window again, but after I click "Awesome. Let's get started", my password file is opened and I don't have to set the preferences again. On the third relaunch, I'm asked whether I want to Enable 1Password mini -- but it was already enabled in preferences. On the 4th relaunch, I see "Welcome to 1Password4" again. I click on "Awesome," and I see my list of 1Password entries. I go into prefs, and I see that "Always keep 1Password mini running" is UNCHECKED. I check that, and uncheck "show mini app icon in the menu bar." I quit 1Password, and relaunch for the 5th time. I see "Welcome to 1Password4" yet again! If I go into preferences, "Always keep 1Password mini running" is still UNCHECKED!!

The solution was to reboot the computer; when I relaunched 1Password, I saw "Welcome to 1Password4" one last time.

So I have 2 requests:

1. Make it possible for the user to override his keychain with a keychain from the cloud, and not just perform a merge. A great way to do this would be to allow the user to delete data and settings in the OS X version of 1Password, just as with the iOS version.

2. Please have the developers fix the bug detailed above where 1Password preferences appear not to be saved. I have seen it many times when starting over, after problems ensued when changing 1Password versions or sync methods. It is not a simple permissions problem.

Thank you in advance for giving these requests serious attention!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @odysseus‌

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble starting over. It does sound like something is a bit off with your permissions. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report as I requested above? This will allow us to track down where the trouble is coming in.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

I've done this before, and no permissions problem was diagnosed. I'll send it anyway.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @odysseus‌

Thanks! The Report will help us diagnose the problem, whatever it may be. :)

• roustem
    edited June 2014
    Options

@odysseus‌

1. I agree that we should add an option to delete the data and start over in the Mac app. The override option that you mentioned would unfortunately complicate the UI that is already too advanced for most users.

2. It seems that you hit the same problem with the preferences that we did during development. Apple recently made changes in how the preferences are saved and if you manually delete the preferences file you will often encounter the problem where the settings could not be saved by the app. To fix this issue you could reboot or run this command in the Terminal:

killall -SIGTERM cfprefsd

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

Thanks, Roustem. I would argue that it wouldn't overly complicate the UI to provide "delete data and settings" under the "advanced" gear, just as you do for iOS ;-)

As for the preferences problem, so do the "Starting Over" instructions given above work? If so, is it because they rename the preferences file instead of deleting it?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @odysseus,

Thanks for following up here! I hope that Roustem's tip helps with the preferences issue. Now, since you're already discussing this issue one-on-one with our support team, let's keep the conversation going directly via email. This will ensure that we don't create any confusion or duplicate efforts between there and here! :)

• roustem
    Options

Yes, I think Mike missed the step where cfprefsd has to be restarted. I will let him know.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

Just so others will know, does the restart cfprefsd command need to be inserted at step 6?

1. Make a copy of your 1Password.agilekeychain file in your Dropbox folder to your desktop, don't move it, just copy it.
    2. Open 1Password, go to the 1Password Menu > Preferences > General and uncheck Keep 1Password Mini running. Now, close 1Password.
    3. Open a Finder window and select "Go to Folder" from the Go menu. Type this in the input field and then press Return: ~/Library/Containers
    4. Move all the agilebits folders you can find to the desktop. 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper, com.agilebits.*
    5. Now, back up a directory into the Library and go to the Preferences folder and move any agilebits plist file you can find to the desktop
    6. In Terminal, type killall -SIGTERM cfprefsd
    7. Now, open 1Password, it'll look like it's brand new. Click "I've used 1Password before > Sync with Dropbox" and point it to your Dropbox folder.
  • MikeT
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @odysseus,

Yes, it should be after step 5 when you moved the plist files out of the Preferences folder. I've updated the original post that contained this instruction. I'll file a request to have the Docs team update the Knowledge Base on this as well.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

I think it would be helpful to post a doc on changing sync methods

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @odysseus‌

Thanks so much for your feedback here. I'm so glad to hear that we've been able to get everything sorted for you here. Our document team is working on a whole new set of support articles for 1Password 4 and I'll be sure to mention to them that a document detailing how to switch sync solutions would be helpful. I think you're right! :)

This discussion has been closed.