Request: Display currently matching Login items in mini's Logins list

xz4gb8
xz4gb8
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac
  1. 1Password4 installed and working, lots of logins entered, some are multistep.

2. With no related windows open and using the Key (1Password Mini), scan down the list of logins and click, for example, BankLogin1of2.

3. Once BankLogin is open and the "Login" or "Continue" button is pressed, the next page for password entry appears in the browser.

4. Now, using the Key (1Password Mini), scan down the list of logins and click, for example, BankLogin2of2 --- OOPS! IT'S GONE! WHERE ARE ANY OF THE BankLogin entries.

You will of course say, "They are at the top the 1Password Mini popup." Well, fine, good, and all that. But, why you force users to special case their muscle memory for associated logins?

1. A user should ALWAYS be able to find another associated login wherever the first was found. (Principle of Minimum Astonishment)

2. The Key Popup is terrific, no kidding. Especially when the user is already at the web site ready to login. All associated entries are found in the same place at the top of the popup. DoublePlusGood! No Astonishment.

3. Removing the entries from the long list is NOT terrific. Muscle memory knows where the first is (was) and also that the next should be adjacent to the original. Muscle memory is thwarted! DoublePlusUnGood! Non-minimum Astonishment

Note that it is not just muscle memory, actual visual memory of item locations has been broken.

Please seriously simply leaving the list order constant regardless of the extra helpful transient entries at the top of the Key popup.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

Hi @xz4gb8,

Thanks for your detailed feedback and suggestion. I've filed a request for any matching Login items in 1Password mini to also show up under mini's Logins list, allowing you to select every item for a multi-page login from that list instead of just the first one.

ref: OPM-2019

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

:) Thank you.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

You're welcome, @xz4gb8. Enjoy your weekend!

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

Has this suggestion risen in the stack at all? Thanks.

• Hi @xz4gb8,

There's an open feature request for this in our internal tracker, but unfortunately there's no progress to report right now. Sorry!

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

I just got caught again by this:

• An Adobe help window was open.
    • Launching the Creative Cloud application to check for updates needed a login again.
    • Creative Cloud logins could not be found even thought they had been created and used previously.
    • The the realization (Brack!)
    • Adobe help uses Safari. So 1Password helpfully removes the appropriate logins from 1Password menu bar access. They only show in Safari.

So:

• Why does the user have to special case habits to make up for the (UN) helpful removal of data from expected display locations. This is absurd.
    • Would not the code be simpler if you quit mucking with the menu bar list??
    • Would not at least a few customers be less bothered??
    • Would you not appreciate fewer brickbats and more bouquets?? I'm ready when you are!
  • littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @xz4gb8‌

While I don't feel strongly at all about this myself I certainly don't see a downside. The recent(ish) release of 1Password 5 (to leverage iOS 8 and Yosemite's features) still has most of the people here busy along with working on a number of bug reports hence the lack of progress. I'll update the ticket to say you've posted though.

I wonder how many people actually navigate the menus in this way, I only ask as I find the search option a lot quicker myself.

ref: OPM-2019

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

littlebobbytables

Different folks have different congnitive processes. Some have differing physiologies. For example, I find leaving my hand on my big mouse rather than selecting search and then moving my hand to the keyboard has less effect on carpal tunnel symptoms.

Your primary UI (Open 1Password) is very good at supporting mouse location of objects in the list, and the list is immutable except as objects are created or deleted. So it is reasonable to expect that any list of, say, login objects should be similarly immutable. In that case, habits developed using the primary UI would receive no astonishing results. Hiding any data in any view just because it is possible to (temporarily) see it in another view violates the principle of minimum astonishment. And this temporary hiding requires more complex code to perform this violation.

Having been in product and programmer management for many successful products I have every sympathy with the logistics problems. At the same time, I agree with the late Steve's approach to "getting it right" so that "it just works."

If I did not value 1Password so highly and had not spent so much time supporting use of 1Password by my clients, I probably would not care enough to provide detailed feedback for product improvement. But, I do value 1 Password, I have spent much time time, and I do care. So I will continue encouraging 1Password to be the finest product possible.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @xz4gb8‌

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such detailed feedback here, we really do appreciate it. This thread has generated some discussion around the virtual water cooler here as well, and at this point, we're not quite sure why the decision was made to not include the matched items in the main list. We'll do some investigating and see what we are able to do. I can't promise anything, but personally, it does make sense to me to have a complete and exhaustive listing of all Logins in that list in the mini.

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

ARGH!

I have a login for Google Calendars saved in 1Password.
    Today I had a Google search page for some unrelated item open.
    I wanted to open the Google Calendar separately.
    I could not find the Google Calendar login item in the drop down login list. I had to open the 1Password application to see the complete list of logins and find what I was seeking.

This is beyond careless to gross discourtesy to the users!

I cannot fathom why any list of login items should not be a complete list of login items at all times.

As noted previously, making the user guess what special case is in effect is gross discourtesy.

1Password is know for caring and responsive developers. Why are they missing this simple point. Why can't they simplify the actual code (and resulting testing requirements) and be more courteous to users?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

@xz4gb8,

I have added your comments, taking care to ensure the bold formatting was retained for impact, and I will highlight this with the developers to remind them that is this still an issue.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @xz4gb8,

Are you an Agile Web Store (AWS) user or one of our Apple's Mac App Store (MAS) customers?

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

Family License Purchased from: AgileBits April 11, 2014

Other tidbits:
    Beta Newsletter Signup May 30, 2014
    This discussion begun June 2014
    Tested yet again for this problem: HEY!! IT IS FIXED!!
    1Password 5
    Version 5.3.BETA-30 (530030)
    Agile Beta

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables

I found that, for iDevice IOS, the App Store is fine. Since I have the processes in place for license management and also wanted the Betas, I bought the OS X version directly from AgileBits. Besides, I liked your support responses enough to want to increase your profit margin.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @xz4gb8,

Well it seems you've stolen my thunder :tongue: As you can surmise, my question regarding which version of 1Password you are running, MAS or AWS was because I'd tested the beta and confirmed the change to 1Password mini. I was asking which version you were running to see how easy it would be to switch to the beta, your willingness permitting of course.

It did take a while for which we apologise, we just wanted to make sure there wasn't a reason we'd added this and that removing it wouldn't have any awful knock-on effects that sometimes removing small segments of code can have.

Thank you for being passionate and helping to keep us straight :smile:

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

You are absolutely welcome. I just want the best possible product.

You all consistently work toward this. So, Thank you all.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

I've pass on your kind words to the whole team, thank you :smile:

This discussion has been closed.