Data saved by 1P extension omits some fields; only username/password saved [now fixed in app betas]

Options
fcar
fcar
Community Member
edited June 2014 in Mac

I believe that this problem is serious and would appreciate if somebody could FINALLY solve it. It is DATA LOSS. After I explain somebody might come along and say that it's not data loss, but I disagree. If data isn't being saved when it should be, then IT IS DATA LOSS, PERIOD!

I'm currently running three different apps. I run the latest 1Password 4 beta on Mavericks with the latest browser extension beta on Chrome. I run the latest 1Password 4 beta on Yosemite with the latest browser extension beta on Chrome. I also run 1Password for Android.

I will be discussing my main environment, which is the Mavericks installation. A while ago my 1Password used to save all forms on a page. Say for example that I was signing up for a free dynamic DNS at no-ip.org, when saving the login info, 1Password would save ALL the forms, for example email, username, email address, "remember me" checkbox, date of birth, etcetera. Around the 25th of May, my installation stopped doing this and it's now trying to select two fields to save. The problem is that some websites let you pick a username but they only allow login with the email address, so 1Password saves "password" and "username" field and does not save the email field. This creates an issue, because I always use a different username on websites to make it impossible for hackers to steal info on other websites if they manage to compromise one where I'm registered. I used to be able to open the record of the login on 1Password, click "show web form details" and edit the info. I could select which of the fields should be the "username" and which one should be the "password". Now if I try to do that, it won't work because 1Password stopped saving all the forms! WHY IS AGILE TRYING TO DECIDE WHAT I WANT AND DON'T WANT TO SAVE!? You want to guess which one is the username and which is the password, FINE! But don't stop saving all the other info, BECAUSE I WANT IT.

I tend to use yopmail on registration to avoid getting spam and 1Password simply won't save email fields anymore.

It used to do it. I can see logins created before May that contained all the fields, then all of a sudden it stopped saving.

What's worse is that someone from agilebits did a remote connection to my computer using teamviewer and spent almost 2 hours asking me questions, only to "lose their notes". I kid you not. After being a month in the dark, I emailed him and he said that he could not remember it and he lost his notes. I lost 2 hours of work and he didn't even save the information.

I AM FUMING WITH ANGER. I spent a lot of money on your products so I expect much better. Fix the data loss problem. If you're not saving information that you should be, IT IS DATA LOSS. I don't know how I can emphasise other than using caps how crazy it is to create a login and not be able to use it later because the app decided that one field wasn't necessary, when that field was exactly what I needed to login.

I don't want to manually edit the info every time, just make it save everything so I can tell the app what is what like it was possible before you caused a regression.

Because sites use cookies, you only realise that you lost the data once you clear your browser's settings, try to login again and it won't because the app didn't save all the forms.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @fcar,

First of all, I apologize for the trouble you have had with 1Password. Secondly, I apologize that our standard renaming of threads with less descriptive titles to more descriptive titles has come across the wrong way. We're certainly not intending to censor anything as I hope my reply here in this thread indicates. You clearly use the term "data loss" may times and in all caps. We were attempting to clarify the title with something more specific, and I can understand how you would feel upset by this. Once we have the issue sorted out we can update the title to reflect the complete nature of the problem. [Edit: the topic title has been updated to note that this issue has now been fixed in the new application beta updates, as @dteare mentions in post #7 below.] Rather than attempting to sweep anything under the rug, we actually do this so that these kinds of threads are more visible to other users. We endeavor to rename threads using key words that people would use when searching via Google, so that if and when someone else has something similar to report they will find this thread.

We're working on parsing your original post and will have a full reply shortly. I just wanted to address your second post and let you know we're on the case.

We really appreciate your patience as we work on our reply to your excellent post that raises some great issues.

• dteare
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hello @fcar,

Thank you for taking the time to write such an incredibly detailed post. It was very helpful in understanding what's happening.

I'm sorry for the late reply. Megan asked me to reply this morning and I started writing a reply. I did not want to reply with a general "I'll look into it" so I started digging into the issue and found the cause. Then I decided it would be even cooler if I published a new beta with the fix, and got stuck on some technical details. So I decided I better reply now before I made you wait any longer :)

I tested signing up on no-ip.org and you're 100% correct, the 1Password extension is not saving all the fields on this form. I also tested a few other sites to see if this was a systemic issue or a specific website issue, and indeed, on other sites we were able to save all the form fields. So at first it appeared to be something special with the way noip.com coded their signup page that we didn't expect.

Digging into the issue further I realized that sometimes all the login fields would be saved, and other times only the username and password was saved. After some more testing I realized what was causing the issue: if you generate a password for no-ip.org and then save the Login, only the username and password will be saved. If you manually type all the information and avoid generating a password, then all fields are correctly saved.

This is the point where I should have sent my original reply as I would have answered you around 1pm :) But, I couldn't resist fixing this issue so I dived into the code to see what what happening. The good news is I have this fixed on my local machine now and we'll be including it in the next beta release.

The fix is in the main 1Password app, not the extension, so if you'd like to try out the fix you'll need to go to the 1Password > Preferences > Updates window and enable betas. I hope to have the new beta published in the next few days.

Thanks again for the very detailed post. It helped immensely and I'm excited that we'll have this issue resolved soon.

Cheers!

• javier_
    javier_
    Community Member
    Options

Having the same trouble here. I came to the forum looking for an answer and I am happy to see that you are working on it! Thanks

• dteare
    Options

I just wanted to update this thread to let you know that two new betas are available that include the fix described above. 1Password 4.4.2 beta 3 is now available for OS X Mountain Lion and Mavericks users, and 1Password 4.5 beta 7 for OS X Yosemite users.

I tested it several times so I think the fix is solid. Please give it a go and let us know how it turns out :)

Cheers!

• dteare
    Options

Sweet! This is great to hear, @fcar. Thanks for letting us know!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

This discussion has been closed.