Feature Request: Create a "Pass-Book" for offline usage / security

Community Member

We do have all our secret stuff saved in 1password. Encrypted. And maybe uploaded to Dropbox / iCloud.

Very fine !

But what if something happens. It seems extremely improbable, but yes, sometimes bad things can happen.
Just in case: Where is the final coverage ? When nothing works ... ????

Because of that lack I urgently suggest implementing a feature allowing the user to create a (password protected)
book containing absolutely all data in clear. That could be printed out and stored in a safe place, like a bank vault private vault, at a lawyers office ?

First step would be simple: One click, one PDF, one book containing all data.
Later on some options could be integrated. About selecting sections, whatever.

What do you think ? I really do miss such a feature here.
I am frightened what might happen just in case.
Maybe there is some accident and I suffer from amnesia ?
What if I get Altzheimer in the future ?
What if I die ? How can my wife, parents, friends get access to my data in a simple way ?

Think about it ... :)

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

All you need to do is write down instructions for loading your keychain in 1Password, along with your master password, the 1P installer and the keychain on a usb stick and put it in the safe.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Good reminder to set up a "1Password Emergency Kit", @RichardPayne‌!

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

All you need to do is write down instructions for loading your keychain in 1Password, along with your master password, the 1P installer and the keychain on a usb stick and put it in the safe.

Not a bad first cut, but that only provides a static snapshot of the keychain. There should also be instructions on where and how to access the most current version of the keychain. Might be an iCloud or Dropbox login, or the login credentials to whatever device(s) you use with 1Password.

Note that under Apple's iCloud terms of service, there is no right of survivorship for personal iCloud accounts, so it might be argued that heirs and executors may not lawfully access any data in such accounts. The terms of service for Dropbox accounts do not address what happens upon the death of the account-holder. However, since terms of service can change at any time, it is not safe to assume that today’s rules will still apply when the time comes.

In other words, it’s a good idea to update the keychain in the safe every so often!

This discussion has been closed.