Q: how to always show a particular login for a site

Options
Scott_R
Scott_R
Community Member
edited September 2014 in Mac

For one site I go to frequently, I have four different logins (different accounts; that's just the how of it and there's nothing I can do).

There is one login I use the most frequently--much more often than the other three combined. However both the 1Password browser icon and the mini app in the menu bar always show one of the lesser-used logins, the other three lumped in a "show three more items" selection. So, if I have

thesite

thesite (login 2)

thesite (login 3)

the site (login 4)

With the first being the main one, I can't get the main one to be the default--i.e., the one always shown; when I use 1Password to sign in to the site, it shows

thesite (login 3)

Show 3 more items
that's always shown.

It's the first alphabetically--that is, it's as I have it above, with the main login simply being the name of the site, while the other three being the name, a space, then a parenthetical. I even tried adding a parenthetical to my main login,

the site (a)

where I used "a" to be sure it was first alphabetically. Alphabetical order doesn't seem to effect whether the main login is shown.

It's also the most commonly used: sorting the four logins within 1Password by "most often used" that main login is first as "Very Often" while the other three are "Rarely."

The main login is also the first created, and is listed as a Favorite (for the iOS version of 1Password).

How do I get that main login to be the one shown without having to click "Show 3 more items"?

Comments

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue. The really odd thing is that, on Bank of America, which has a split login (first username, then password on the next page), 1Password chooses different defaults for the two pages.

A related but worse problem is that ⌘\ will frequently fill in whatever login 1Password thinks is the default rather than showing all of the options. I guess I only notice it when 1Password "guesses" wrong, but I do not like the behavior.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Scott_R and @benfdc‌

Please check in Preferences > Browser to see if you have 'Lenient URL Matching' enabled. With Lenient URL matching, 1Password only looks at the main domain when matching Logins, so you may end up with a longer list of Logins that have different sub-domains. If 'Lenient URL Matching' is not selected, 1Password is more precise with it's domain matching, and takes the sub-domains into account too.

It sounds to me as if your multiple Logins may have slightly different URLs that are causing one (thesite (login 3)) to be a more precise match than the others.

To fix this you can do one of two things:

• Update the URLs in your entries to ensure that they match fully with the sign-in page. Then your favourite will display correctly at the top of the list.
    • Enable 'Lenient URL Matching'

A related but worse problem is that ⌘\ will frequently fill in whatever login 1Password thinks is the default rather than showing all of the options.

Please note that 1Password isn't "guessing" here, but filling the matched Login as you requested. Whenever multiple matched Logins are available for filling, 1Password will pop open with a list and allow you to select the correct Login. Enabling Lenient URL matching, or simply updating the URLs in your entries will ensure that this doesn't happen.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

Checking the Lenient URL matching box seems to have solved my problem. Thanks, @Megan!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @benfdc,

I've updated the request in our tracker for clarifying/documenting the Lenient URL matching option (including possible renaming), noting you had no idea that enabling it would resolve your issue. :)

• Scott_R
    Scott_R
    Community Member
    Options

Never got any notifications of replies, so I'm just chancing back across this....

It's not a Lenient URL matching problem for me. I'm going to the same site (no sub-domains) but need different logins for different accounts, three of which I use very infrequently--but the rarely-used logins are given precedence by 1P.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

What are the exact URLs stored in each Login item? If the URLs are identical they should all be given equal weight and sorted alphabetically. Item marked as favorites are listed first if that helps.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @Scott_R,

There's some information about configuring forum Notification Preferences: here (post #4). These are some you might want to enable:

I'm also sending you a private message about this so you'll get an email notification for that. :)

• Scott_R
    Scott_R
    Community Member
    Options

Each one of them goes to
    https://chaseonline.chase.com/

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Ah. So there is in fact a subdomain involved: chaseonline. :)

You said each one goes to https://chaseonline.chase.com/ but can you confirm that that is the exact URL stored in each Login item? Here is my own Chase Login item as an example. It shows the URL to be: https://chaseonline.chase.com/Logon.aspx

If your Login items have different URLs saved within them the one that is an exact match for the subdomain will be listed at the top.

For example, let's say you have three Login items for Chase with these URLs saved in them:

When you visit https://www.chase.com, Login 3 will be listed at the top of the list in 1Password mini (and filled directly when using the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut) because it is an exact match of the subdomain www for chase.com.

This discussion has been closed.