Safari extension isn't pasting saved passwords in properly.

Options
John Vann
John Vann
Community Member
edited June 2014 in Mac

I'm having a bizarre issue with 1Password. It first happened a week or 2 ago and I thought it was just that site, but today I changed some passwords on a few sites and I'm now seeing it again with at least one of those. Basically, the Safari extension is not plugging in the correct password for these sites. Whatever it is plugging appears to be shorter in length than the new password, and when I open up the main 1Password application and copy/paste the saved password, I get logged right in. I don't have a duplicate entry for the sites in question. If I reveal the password via the extension's toolbar item in Safari, it does show the correct password. So, I don't know what the extension is putting into the password field on my login pages. Perhaps part of the password? In the first example I mentioned, I fixed it by deleting the entry entirely in 1P and rebuilding it, but this normally isn't necessary.

EDIT: I have something else weird that may be related. On my iPad, for the more recent site in question, I have 2 entries: one with the old password, one with the new password. But only on the iPad. My iPhone and my Desktop (on which the edits were made, and on which I'm having the problem) only has the entry with the updated password. Syncing via iCloud is current and seems to be working otherwise. I even did a test with a secure note to double-check.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi John,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with filling lately. I think that you might have come across a site that has some hidden restrictions on password length.

Sometimes, a website will have an invisible cap on what can be typed in the password field. If you type in a password that is longer than the acceptable length, you may notice that the final characters that you type are not being logged. Of course, if you are using our strong password generator to generate "super-secure-long-password", you wouldn’t notice that the website is silently ignoring the last few characters, and saving "super-secure-long-pa” instead. When you copy and paste the password in, it works in such a way that the website sees the "super-secure-long-pa” part and can ignore the excess. Filling with 1Password works a little bit differently though, so you might get an incorrect password warning.

The best solution here is to determine if there are any hidden password restrictions for the site and create a fresh password that fits within those restrictions.

That being said, I am a bit curious about this extra entry on your iPad that is not showing up on your other devices. What happens if you edit this extra item - does it show up on your other devices then?

• John Vann
    John Vann
    Community Member
    Options

I've seen the problem with a form "ignoring" the excess characters in a password in the past. I just tried changing the password on the site in question to a 20 character password with no special characters. It's a cloud service (CloudSafe) and while the form for changing the password doesn't tell me what the "recipe" limitations are, it should easily take 20 characters, yet the problem persists. I wound up going back to the stronger password I was using; deleted the entry in 1Password; then re-added it when prompted on sign in. It now works flawlessly again. Something just occurred to me. I could have sworn I added additional notes to that CloudSafe entry previously storing the WebDAV vault passwords (separate from the account password) and they aren't there. Also, when looking over this entry yesterday, I found 3 "conflicts" notes which actually all had the same (and correct) user name and password.

As for the duplicate entry on the iPad, I made an edit to add a 2nd website to it. It still shows only on the iPad. As a side note... I may have found another problem. My "final" updated password for CloudSafe mentioned above didn't sync to my iPhone despite doing a manual sync on it. I had to go through the process of changing syncing on my iMac and simply re-selected iCloud. The iPhone then got the password change.

I'm taking a look now at my iCloud folder, and I have 2 folders for 1Password: the "proper" one named "XXXXXXXX~com~agilebits~onepassword" and a 2nd one I've never seen before (which is empty), named "XXXXXXXXXXX~com~agilebits~onepassword-ios".

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi John,

Thanks for the additional information! It does sound like sync may have been disconnected at one point, which could have resulted in some conflicts when it was reconnected. We can re-set sync to ensure that all of your devices are using the most up to date data:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and tap 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud.

• Wait about 20 minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable iCloud sync. It should work this time.

To find out if you have any more conflict fields that need to be resolved, on your Mac, select File > New Smart Folder in 1Password and select the criteria 'Conflict fields' 'are' 'present':

This will show you all entries where 1Password was unable to determine which edit from which device was newer. You can copy the information into the appropriate field, or delete it if it is redundant.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any further questions!

This discussion has been closed.