Copy/Move to secondary vault doesn't sync to dropbox automatically

dttocs
dttocs
Community Member

Configuration

• 1Password 4.4.1 for Mac
  • two computers running OSX 10.9.3
  • two dropbox accounts, with shared folder
  • successfully set up shared secondary vault and shared between the two dropbox accounts
  • creation and edit of passwords in shared secondary vault sync correctly between accounts.

Scenario

1. Copy or move login from primary vault to secondary vault on computer 1 using the share -> sharedvault->move menu on the login
  2. Observe that it doesn't appear in the secondary vault on computer 2
  3. Check dropbox events on both dropbox accounts and see that no files in the "*/sharedvault.agilekeychain/data/default" directory are changed
  4. Switch to the secondary vault and back to primary on computer 1
  5. Observe that contents.js and .1password files in sharedvault.agilekeychain/data/default are updated in dropbox events on both accounts
  6. Observe that the new login appears in the secondary vault on computer 2

Expected behaviour: Copy or move from primary to secondary vault will immediately sync the secondary vault to other accounts.

This is consistently reproducible on our setup. Is this a known issue? I searched the discussion group, but didn't find it.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dttocs‌

Thanks so much for providing the detailed report here. The good news is that this is not a bug, just behaviour that might take some getting used to.

I'll do my best to describe why things are the way they are.

In 1Password 4, if you are syncing your data (as is the case with a shared secondary vault), your data is actually stored in two places:

• the local store: an .sqlite file that holds all your data from all vaults
    • the sync store: a 1Password.agilekeychain file or (.opvault file, if we're talking about iCloud) of a single vault stored in a location that is accessible to the other devices that need it. (We won't talk much more about .opvault and iCloud since iCloud sync is only available for primary vaults and so doesn't really apply here.)

When you move an item from one vault to another, it's location is immediately changed in the local store. When you open up a secondary vault, the vault will run a sync check and look at both the local store and the sync store to see if anything has changed since it was last opened. If a new item has been added into the local store, the vault will update the sync store with the new information, and if an item has been added from the sync store, the vault will update the local store. Since this check is performed when the vault is opened, you will need to switch to a secondary vault to have those changes updated to the sync store, and all other users who share that vault.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, we're here for you! :)

• MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member

While I can understand the current workflow from an implementation point of view, it's not what users need, want or expect to have happen. As I have done before, I vote strongly for the implementation of item Copy and Move operations to fire off a vault sync operation immediately. Requiring the user to even think that their requested operation hasn't been completely handled by the Copy / Move leads to nothing but confusion. I probably know most everything there is to know about vaults, yet too many times I've done a Copy to another vault and waited and waited on the "other end" (such as on an iOS device) to see the update that never happens. So I do the Copy / Move again because maybe, just maybe, I didn't highlight the option properly. Only in frustration do I switch to the other vault to see if there's some kind of naming (or other) issue with the item I'm waiting for. And then the item appears on the other end, magically. That's not the proper way to handle this feature.

While correct, introducing the term "store" into discussing these essential data manipulation features just makes 1Password sound too complicated. I know, not everyone using 1Password will ever use vaults, but those that do shouldn't be expected to remember caveats about how to go about it. Programs should make our life less complicated.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014

Hi @MartyS,

Thanks for challenging us on this! You're right, it would be great if we could make this even easier and more intuitive. I've filed an issue in our internal tracker.

internal reference number: OPM-2045

This discussion has been closed.