How to edit/delete saved form details?

Options
RalphBln
RalphBln
Community Member

Hello,

I cannot log on to my amazon account using 1PW for iPad, because the 1PW entry in question contains two saved form detail fields named "create", one with the value "0" and one with the value "1". This field apparently corresponds to the "I am a new customer" / "I have a password" checkboxes on the amazon login page. Now what happens when I try to log in is that I get an error message stating that I have checked "I am a new customer" although an account exists with the given email address, and amazon refuses to log me in.

I attempted to delete the form field in 1PW for iPad, but there does not seem to be an option for editing or deleting form fields in 1PW for iOS?

Then I deleted the duplicate field in 1PW on the Mac and synced the Mac with the iPad (I use WiFi sync), but the deletion of the field on the Mac does not seem to carry over to the iPad. I made several attempts, but the duplicate field is still there, and I cannot figure out how to get rid of it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ralph

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Ralph ( @RalphBln‌ ),

Could you please try creating a new Login on your Mac?

• Edit the login that you currently have for this website by appending an "Old" to the title - just so you can tell them apart.
    • Visit the site and fill in the fields you want filled. Do NOT click the login button.
    • Click the 1Password extension, and unlock it if necessary.
    • Click the gear icon (or vault icon if multiple vaults are enabled) in the upper right corner.
    • Select Save new login.
    • Give the entry a unique and identifiable title.
    • Click Save.
    • Revisit the site and see if 1Password fills in the site correctly.

This should allow 1Password to properly re-learn those web form details. Please let me know if you're still seeing trouble after re-saving the Login.

• RalphBln
    RalphBln
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan for the quick reply. Unfortunaltely, the instructions you provided did not solve the issue.

I deleted and recreated the login item on the Mac, then synced with the iPad. Unlike on the Mac, the login item on the iPad still showed the two "create" form fields. To make sure it's not a sync issue, I deleted the item on the iPad, synced back, made sure it was deleted from the Mac as well, recreated the login item on the Mac (following your instructions), made sure there were no "create" form fields, synced back to the iPad and bang: on the iPad, the new login item shows the two "create" form fields again.

Is it possible that either

a. the Mac version does not show all form fields (so that in my case the two "create" fields are actually there but hidden on the Mac), or

b. that the syncing process is broken in cases where a previously deleted login item is recreated and that it restores the deleted one instead of adding the new one?

It's not really a show stopper - I can still log in copying/pasting the password, and that's fine. But it's kind of mysterious... :)

Thanks,
    Ralph

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Ralph ( @RalphBin ),

Thanks so much for doing this additional testing here. I'm seeing the same thing with respect to the extra fields on iOS, and it had me confused for a bit. But I've spoken with our developers, and it seems that what we are seeing on iOS are the radio button fields (for the 'new customer'/'existing customer' buttons). For some reason, although they do exist on Mac as well, they are not displayed there.

So, your assumption in (a) is correct, and I have learned something new - I definitely thought that Mac displayed all the web form details.

I do have good news for you though: this problem with filling on Amazon is a known issue that our developers have managed to squash. The fix has already been released for Mac (which is why you are able to fill properly there), however, the iOS is currently using an older version of the filling scripts. Once the scripts are updated there, your Amazon Login should behave properly on your iPad as well.

For now though, the mystery is solved, and hopefully copying and pasting the password will be an acceptable workaround. :)

• RalphBln
    RalphBln
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

Thanks for clarifying! I'm looking forward to the update and really don't mind copying/pasting until then.

By the way, I think you and your colleagues from the support team do an outstanding job, I've rarely encountered so much friendlyness and helpfulness on a moderated support forum. Keep it up :)

• Jasper
    Options

Thanks so much for your kind words, @RalphBln! :)

And on behalf of Megan, you're welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions!

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

So, your assumption in (a) is correct, and I have learned something new - I definitely thought that Mac displayed all the web form details.

Is hiding web form details a bug or a feature? Seems to me to be the former.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @benfdc,

It would certainly be nice if it was consistent across all platforms, just to avoid confusion (like above.) While it's a minor semantic difference, I would call this an "improvement" request over a feature or a bug. I know power-users such as yourself love having the access to the web form details, but in ideal situations, the average user shouldn't need to ever worry about those fields, so it's less of a bug and more of a discrepancy.

I hope that makes a bit of sense! In any case, I have filed this in our internal tracker, and we'll see if the developers can make things a bit more clear here. :)

internal reference number: OPM-2062

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

I know power-users such as yourself love having the access to the web form details, but in ideal situations, the average user shouldn't need to ever worry about those fields, so it's less of a bug and more of a discrepancy.

You probably will not be surprised to learn that I see it as less of a discrepancy and more of a bug. :) Nobody should have to worry about those fields unless a problem arises, which is why they are hidden (in both viewing and editing modes) unless one clicks on the show web form details button. But when a problem arises and it is time to start troubleshooting, it is not clear to me why one would want to hide information from the user.

Moreover, why would one display more information in the mobile apps than in the desktop apps? I would think that it is easier to fix keychain problems on the desktop, so that ought to be where the maximum amount of information is displayed.

Incidentally, I too have been bitten by the Amazon login bug, and my attempts to troubleshoot it on my own were for naught. I am looking forward to the fix!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @benfdc,

Well, happily, there's no need to quibble any further over semantics. I've chatted with one of our epic Mac devs, and he was able to track the issue down and get it sorted out! So, in a future update, you'll see those radio buttons properly displayed in the web form details.

I hope this helps!

:)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

You are always helpful, @Megan, and always appreciated!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @benfdc‌!

It's always such a treat when things work out like that. :)

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I think it would be still great to be able to edit or delete entries in the "Saved form details" pop-up in 1P iOS. It would allow me to remove unwanted data from my logins which may be outdated or it don't want to risk having retransmitted again if no longer needed after the first login is completed. For example with my Club Toyota account at toyota.ca I don't want it to be filling in my name, address, car VIN every time I login because of the fact that the registration form is part of the subsequent login form.

It's just needlessly sending extra personal identifiable information each time I sign in, something that I think presents a security risk or that information might just be wrong and I have no way to change it.

I am pretty sure you can do this on the Mac but I don't want to always go back to the Mac to fix this.

Cheers and thanks.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. :) I'll be sure to pass it along to our development team.

This discussion has been closed.