Two 1Password Accounts on an IPhone

Options
Rebeccabach
Rebeccabach
Community Member

I have a personal 1Password account on my IMac and another 1Password account for my employer on another IMac. Recently my employer bought me a new IPhone and installed their employer 1Password account on my phone. Now, I cannot access any of my personal accounts that are linked to my personal 1Password account on my phone. For example, Evernote, some email addresses, Facebook.)

What do I do??

Thanks!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Rebeccabach‌

With Multiple Vaults in 1Password 4 for Mac and iOS, you can now install more than one vault on your iOS device. If your employer has already installed their vault as your primary, go to Settings > Vaults > Add Vault > Sync with Dropbox. Tap on your Dropbox account to see the vaults available there.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, we're here for you! :)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan—

I gave this a try, and was disappointed to see that logging into the primary vault logs one in to every vault. I wish it were possible to be logged into only one vault at a time. Not only would this be more secure (e.g. it would allow one to segregate high-value info in a seldom-open vault), but it would allow family members to keep their vaults on a shared device while keeping their information private from one another.

My wife and I currently keep the old iOS apps on my iPhone and her iPad, respectively, and keep our keychains in the old apps on each other’s devices. Not an optimal solution, particularly now that the older keychains no longer sync over Dropbox.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @benfdc,

1Password's new multiple vault feature was designed so that you still only have to remember one password, no matter how many vaults you create. Your primary vault holds the encryption keys for all of your secondary vaults. This means that unlocking your primary vault will give you quick and easy access to all of your data, regardless of which vault it is stored in.

I know this does complicate things slightly for shared iOS devices, and I do apologize for the trouble here. Our developers are looking into ways to make this simpler in the future!

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

It is not just an issue for shared iOS devices, and simplicity is not the point. Functionality, security, and transparency are the points.

I may want to have access to a different array of vaults on one device than I do on another device. And I want to know what information is in my keychain. If one of my vaults contains information about another vault (say, sync info and master password), that information should be very easy to discover and very easy to delete. And the “feature” should be very well documented.

It is a very serious compartmentalization issue. The user must have control. Speaking for myself, I would not want my work vault to contain the master password of my personal vault or vice versa. In fact, I would not want my work vault to contain any information about the existence of other vaults, and vice versa. IMO that information should never sync off of a given device. For example, my employer may have a legitimate need for the master password to my work vault, which will most assuredly be the primary vault on my work computer.

I guess that what is really happening here is that I am beginning to understand what it means for a vault to be a primary vault, and I find myself disagreeing with the concept. I want the relationship between any two vaults to be defined on a device-by-device basis (or on a user account-by user account basis for devices that support user accounts), rather than by information contained within one or another of the vaults.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @benfdc,

Thanks so much for providing your thoughts here. Our developers are looking into how to make vaults the most user-friendly and awesome that they can be, and your feedback is much appreciated.

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member
    Options

In my opinion, the employer provided device is employer's property. They can access and recall the device at any time. Any information on it belongs to the employer.
    The solution is pricey, but the only one I see is to have two separate devices.
    Your private data on your own device and employer data in their device. Otherwise it is hard to draw the line, as much as it feels convenient to use and carry around only one device.
    So for the first post, carrying 2 iPhones would be my choice. At least you could get away with only one charger. :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Fairgame,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here! That's a good point to consider as well. :)

This discussion has been closed.