Can't connect to 1P mini & database is locked—persists after restarting [fixed: reinstalled app]

Options
Quantumpanda
Quantumpanda
Community Member
edited August 2014 in Mac

I'm getting the dreaded "cannot connect to 1Password mini" error that I've seen others here mention. The advice given seems to boil down to "restart". Restarting doesn't help me—I continue to get the same error. I tried manually launching 1Password mini (by finding it inside the 1Password 4.app package), but it fails with the "database is locked" error. This, too, persists across restarts.

I do not use 1Password with multiple accounts on the same machine, and Activity Monitor shows no 1P-related processes running that I can determine. I have not performed any OS updates or 1P updates recently. The only thing that has changed in my system since I was last able to successfully use 1P is that I rebooted into a TechTool Pro eDrive to perform some maintenance on my boot drive; the problem appeared the first time I booted back into my regular boot drive, and has remained consistent since then.

The only saving grace in this is that since I also use 1P on my phone (via Dropbox sync), I can access my passwords there as a workaround until I get this resolved. But it should go without saying that this is at best a temporary solution. Please help!

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I would suggest checking that the permissions are correct across your Applications folder (or drive if need me) and then, after backing up your 1Password profile, try deleting the entire 1Password app and re-downloading it from whomever you purchased it from. I'm assuming here of course it's something TechTools has done. The last time I used their software I did an entire backup of the drive using SuperDuper! before starting just in case it did something irreversibly bad.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Try the suggested solution here.

Stephen

• Quantumpanda
    Quantumpanda
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I was suspecting that I'd need to install 1P, but I wanted to be sure.

When you say to backup the "profile", what exactly are you referring to? Do you mean my keychain data (which I store on Dropbox), or something in ~/Library? If I delete only the .app itself, as Stephen suggests, nothing else should be affected, right?

As for TechTool, I ran it as something of a last-ditch effort to get my system running "normally" again. I had Apple do some repair work on it last month (they replaced the motherboard), and of course when I got it back, the HD was wiped. I restored from Time Machine, but it's been slow and not particularly responsive. I tried restoring from a CCC clone I made before I sent the machine to Apple, but it's still running goofy. I suspect that I'm going to have to do a complete wipe and install everything from scratch, and I'm not looking forward to that—I have around 700 apps, including command-line stuff, that would need reinstalling.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sometimes I can probably go a little over the top, especially if I'm dispensing advice to others so the link Stephen provides is probably fine. By suggesting a completely separate copy of your complete 1Password profile, not just the synced keychain in Dropbox, no matter what happened you knew you could always drop a copy of that manual backup in place and zero entries or even settings should be lost and as long as it was a copy you could keep doing that over and over again if need be - as I say, possibly a little over the top. The exact location of your 1Password profile is dependent on where you purchase it, Apple's app store or direct from Agilebits, the locations of which are in this guide about moving from one version to another.

I share your pain btw. I had the drive in my mac mini die and I'll be damned if I was going to pay what Apple were charging (their service charge was actually very reasonable but the price for a crappy hard drive - forget it!) but the machine has never been quite the same since I replaced it myself. I'm tolerating it until I'm prepared to replace the entire unit but until then every so often it slows to an unbelievable crawl until I turn it off for a minute or so.

If the sluggishness is still present after restoring a cloned image I'm not sure what to say. The contents of the disk itself should be optimised if I understand correctly so I wonder if a fresh install would actually help but then I do understand why you'd try. Did TechTool report anything when you tried it?

• Quantumpanda
    Quantumpanda
    Community Member
    Options

When I first ran TechTool after I got the machine back from Apple, both it and Disk Utility reported no problems. The only thing TechTool reported at all was a high amount of fragmentation—but this was before I restored from the clone backup. After I restored from the clone, TechTool reported no problems at all. Disk Utility, though, keeps bringing the same single file up on a permissions repair (an html file inside the Safari.app package), which is one of the things leading me towards needing a clean reinstall.

This machine's been having some oddnesses to it for a couple years; it's just never been bad enough to justify taking the time to do another full clean install. (I did that two years ago when I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion—I skipped Lion entirely—and it was two days before I had enough reinstalled on it to do any actual work—and three weeks of part-time tinkering before everything I wanted was in place.) So the clone backup itself may have had something screwy in it. I didn't restore from it right away; I used my Time Machine backup first. So if there was something in the clone that was out of whack with the new motherboard, that wouldn't have shown up at first anyway.

If I can hold off needing the clean install until Yosemite hits the .1 release (I never upgrade to a .0 OS X release if I can avoid it), then I can justify taking the time for it. But if I can't wait until then, I'm going to take a massive productivity hit that I really can't afford. :-(

• Quantumpanda
    Quantumpanda
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, and I forgot to mention: reinstalling 1P did the trick. Thanks to both of you for your help!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Quantumpanda‌

I'm so glad to hear that @Stephen_C and @littlebobbytables‌ were able to get things sorted out for you! If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask - we're happy to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.