Passwords are always revealed in the preview panel [Fixed in latest 4.3.1 update]

Options
somelez
somelez
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

The password visibility behavior is different in my two machines:
In W7 64 bits domain machine, all passwords are always visible. The reveal button don't toggles the password visibility. It's very annoying (same for XP 32Bits in the domain).
In W7 64 bits (or XP 32bits) standalone machine, all passwords are hidden by default and the reveal button work's perfectly.

This issue was also present in beta versions.
Anyone else have the same issue?

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm that I'm seeing the fault on an XP 32 bit domain machine .

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

That's very strange, there should not be any differences between a domain PC and a standalone PC when it comes to 1Password.

We're hearing the same reports for users using 1Password via WINE on Linux machines, the passwords are not concealed regardless of the settings. I wonder what's the connection between the domain and WINE.

I'll update our tracker on this and see if we can figure out what's the next step to try.

• PaulD
    PaulD
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I have the same issue on Ubuntu 12.04 + Wine 1.4, although it works fine on Win7 64bit running as a guest on Virtualbox 4.1.

This is quite important, because sometimes 1Password under Wine doesn't lock itself when it's been left open, and instead becomes unresponsive, showing the preview window for one login. If anyone accessed my system at that time, these credentials would be revealed to them.

Do you have any update on it, @MikeT? Is there a config file that I can manually edit to make it conceal passwords?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know, @PaulD.

I'm not aware of any formal support for 1Password running in Wine, but I'm curious what version of 1Password you're attempting to run.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

For the record I'm also seeing both the reveal and autolock issues on WINE 1.6 and the beta 1.7.

I'm not aware of any formal support for 1Password running in Wine

Could you perhaps chase up my support ticket for thi? Clearly your software works in Windows so it's going to be a WINE fault. I'm more than happy to raise bugs on their tracker but to so I need the code that's being executed.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015
    Options

@RichardPayne‌, did you send it from the same e-mail address associated with your forum ID?

I ask because I don't see anything in the support queue with that address. If you did, I need to figure out how to find it.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I'll dig out the ticket references whwn I get home.

• PaulD
    PaulD
    Community Member
    Options

@DBrown‌ I'm using the latest version of 1Password, 4.1.0.530.

Again, is there a configuration file that I can manually edit to make it conceal passwords?

• PaulD
    PaulD
    Community Member
    Options

@DBrown‌ btw, it would be useful if there was the option of email notifications for this forum.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

@DBrown‌
    #CXF-96748-788

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @RichardPayne‌. Somehow the ticket got closed, so I've re-opened it and pinged the appropriate folks.

• PaulD
    PaulD
    Community Member
    Options

@DBrown‌ - this is the 3rd time I've asked this question here...

Again, is there a configuration file that I can manually edit to make it conceal passwords?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

No, just there is a menu option. View > Conceal Passwords.

However, password conceal doesn't seem to work under WINE. This is the issue that I was going to log with the WINE devs and am waiting for info from the AB guys.

it would be useful if there was the option of email notifications for this forum.

There is. Click on your name at the top of the page. Then click the Edit Profile button. Then click on the Notification Preferences link on the left.

• PaulD
    PaulD
    Community Member
    Options

@RichardPayne‌ - yes, I know it doesn't work under WINE, which is why I am participating in this discussion and why I confirmed the behaviour in post #4.

My question was addressed to @DBrown‌, considering a workaround has not been discussed so far in this thread, and that he is Agile's representative. It's a poor reflection on the company that I've had to repeat myself 4 times now.

Thanks for explaining how to enable email notifications. What a bizarre UI for such a simple setting.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

My question was addressed to @DBrown‌, considering a workaround has not been discussed so far in this thread, and that he is Agile's representative. It's a poor reflection on the company that I've had to repeat myself 4 times now.

Without wishing to speak for @DBrown, I suspect the problem is that what you're asking for isn't clear. The problem with the Conceal Passwords option won't be a problem with the menu; it will be a problem with WINE's interpretation of the password char functionality of the Windows textbox control. Simply adding a configuration file option to toggle it instead of the menu won't change that.

Still, maybe @DBrown would like to answer your question too if you want an "official" answer.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015
    Options

Sorry, @PaulD! I didn't bother repeating @RichardPayne's answer:

No, just there is a menu option. View > Conceal Passwords.

I certainly could've at least confirmed that "no," and I didn't mean it to leave you feeling you'd been ignored. That wasn't my intent.

@RichardPayne is correct: there is no configuration file in which you can record a preference for concealing passwords.

Thanks for your patient diligence in pursuing an "official" answer.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@svondutch‌ I've just noticed something interesting. Generated Passwords don't exhibit this fault on my XP machine. The generated password's password field toggles correctly. Logins, and I think all of the other categories, ignore the toggle and the password is always visible.

What's the difference in the way the two are handled?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

What's the difference in the way the two are handled?

@RichardPayne In Logins, the EDIT does not have a border. In Generated Passwords, the EDIT includes WS_BORDER with it's style.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

And that's the only difference?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RichardPaybe Yes, I believe so. You should be able to see this difference for yourself in Spy++

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Odd. I can't find any record of a known bug with EM_SETPASSWORDCHAR when WS_BORDER is not in place. Did you remove the borders after you dropped XP support?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015
    Options

I can't find any record of a known bug with EM_SETPASSWORDCHAR when WS_BORDER is not in place.

You might want to consider creating a new bug record for this.

Did you remove the borders after you dropped XP support?

We removed the borders from version 4. The old version did have the borders.

• PaulD
    PaulD
    Community Member
    Options

@DBrown‌ and @RichardPayne‌ - thanks for your responses.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

You might want to consider creating a new bug record for this.

XP is out of support so MS aren't going to do anything about it. If I see the same behaviour on WINE when I get home then I will file a bug report with the WINE guys.

We removed the borders from version 4. The old version did have the borders.

Yes, but the initial builds of v4 both had borders on the fields and were supported on XP so that doesn't really answer my question.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're most welcome, @PaulD. I'm sorry we don't have a more satisfying answer for you.

• PaulD
    PaulD
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks only to @RichardPayne (a customer, not a team member), a bug has been filed at WineHQ for this. It's frustrating that absolutely no effort seems to have been made by AgileBits to get it resolved.

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=37896

@DBrown - could you ask your team to each add a +1 comment to it, and ask one of your developers to liase/cooperate with the WineHQ team to get it resolved? I don't think it's a good situation at all that you are making money from the Wine community's work (see below), and then seem to be giving very little in return.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/191813/#Comment_191813

Sincerely

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015
    Options

@PaulD: AgileBits develops 1Password and is responsible for fixing its bugs to ensure that it functions properly on its target platforms; likewise, WINE bugs are the responsibility of its developers. We don't take credit for how awesome WINE is, nor hold ourselves accountable for its bugs. I think that is the definition of fair! ;)

Thanks for the feedback! I am sharing this with the rest of the team. I'm attempting to sign up for an account at WineHQ to contribute but have yet to receive their email at this time. I'll keep an eye out for it! :+1:

• PaulD
    PaulD
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

@brenty It goes without saying that you are not responsible for WINE, but you still have a responsibility to ensure that bugs affecting 1Password are not blocked by a poor WINE bug report. Especially as your team is actively promoting 1Password's use under WINE.

I don't think I'm asking for much; kindly cooperate with the Wine team to ensure that the information in any reports are complete and up-to-date, and be proactive in checking their status.

From WineHQ:
    "Bug reports should be submitted to our online Bugzilla system (http://bugs.winehq.org/). To increase developer productivity and facilitate a resolution to submitted bugs, please read the Wiki article on Bugs. A poor bug report may be marked INVALID and closed, leaving you no closer to resolving your problem. High quality bug reports are an essential part of making Wine better"

Hence, to contribute, please follow the guidelines in the wiki at Bugs

After speaking to a friendly WineHQ developer, the following would be helpful:

• Supply a log of 1Password 4.2 run on the latest development release of Wine (currently 1.7)
    • Ensure that any bugs affecting 1Password are linked to its app page. You can do this by contacting the app maintainer.

The tickets currently open are:

• Bug 37896 - the bug I referenced above, not yet linked
    • Bug 38253 - a possible duplicate, but the WINE developer thinks it's best left open just in case it's not
    • Bug 37235 - not yet linked

Be aware that the fix for the concealed password issue (and possibly the others) will not be backported, so will only be available in Wine versions 1.7+.

If you need any advice, you can speak to the WineHQ team on freenode irc, in #winehq

By the way, according to the Wine dev, it's not necessary for people to +1 if they are affected - a full and complete bug report is adequate.

Lastly, you ought to be managing this forum to ensure that discussions on a specific topic, especially bugs, are happening in one place, by directing duplicate OPs to the original discussion. This way, they will be able to stay informed on the progress of an issue, and make it easier for you to communicate with them in the long run.

Thank you

• MikeT
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi @PaulD,

You are correct that we can do more and we'll try to follow up on these reports to see if we can offer any help. Thank you for the useful summary, I'll use that, and upload any information we have to both WINE's bugzilla and our bug tracker. I'll also share our contact information with the WINE team if they want to get in touch with us quickly.

Especially as your team is actively promoting 1Password's use under WINE.

That was a mistake on our part, thank you for pointing that out. I've corrected it and informed our team about it.

While we may suggest it as an alternative for some Linux customers who would be willing to take the risk of using it under WINE, we are not promoting nor supporting 1Password to be used under WINE. If there is something we're doing that suggests otherwise, we'll change it or remove it.

Despite not supporting it, that doesn't mean we cannot give useful information to the WINE devs who needs it. A little bit of help from us can definitely go a long way for WINE and our customers who needs to use 1Password on Linux via WINE, despite the risks of doing so.

Thanks again.

@RichardPayne and @PaulD, if I have further questions on 1Password + WINE, can I reach out to you to confirm a few things since you're running 1Password under WINE?

• MikeT
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi guys,

I've replied to the bug reports, added myself to the cc list on them and I've added the bugs # to 1Password's page in WINE's AppDB here.

• Supply a log of 1Password 4.2 run on the latest development release of Wine (currently 1.7)

That's not something we can do actively all the time, we don't use WINE and we only have a couple of staff members that has a Linux machine. However, it looks like we have an app maintainer who might be willing to test it all the time on the AppDB's page:

This also makes it very difficult for us to file bug reports in the way they want it. We'll do what we can but we must focus on our supported platforms first.

• Ensure that any bugs affecting 1Password are linked to its app page. You can do this by contacting the app maintainer.

That's what I've done and all three reports are listed with a note that one of them is a dupe of the other one.

I made a note in our tracker to add any bug reports to WINE and also in 1Password's AppDB page.

This discussion has been closed.