Passwords are always revealed in the preview panel [Fixed in latest 4.3.1 update]

Options
2»

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@PaulD can we please not be quite so confrontational about WINE. It is absolutely not Agilebits' job to a create, manage or monitor the WINE bug tracker as it is not a platform they support. I don't want Agilebits to hunker down and start refusing to give out Linux advice for fear of it being misconstrued as advocacy. They have stated numerous times that Linux is not supported and that WINE is a potential work around (as is 1Password Anywhere).

That said, @MikeT any assistance that Agilebits is willing to provide in getting WINE issues resolve would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to contact me for any additional information that you may need. I obviously can't speak for @PaulD.

@PaulD could you ask WineHQ friend please provide instructions on generating the log he wants. I tried:

wine 1Password.exe 2>&1 | tee ~/1Password-wine.log

It does produce some output but it's neither particularly longer nor detailed. I certainly can't see how it would help them.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @RichardPayne,

Thank you, we really appreciate your help here and in the future.

• PaulD
    PaulD
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your comprehensive answer, @MikeT. It's appreciated.

I know your company's stance regarding Wine, and I understand that it's a tricky balance. I'm not suggesting that you should start officially supporting Wine (I realise that's not realistic or feasible). However, you ought to recognise that you are not only benefitting from sales of Windows versions of 1Password for use on Linux under Wine, but also licenses for all the other platforms that those customers own. For instance, I have several licenses for Windows that I use for a Linux system (under Wine), a Windows 7 Virtual Machine running as a guest on that system and a couple of Windows standalone machines. I also have licenses for OS X for my macbookpro, and a license for my Samsung Galaxy. At some point I may even want one for my iPad. As Linux is my main platform, the inability for 1Password to work with Wine would be a deal-breaker for me. Consequently, as much as I believe 1Password is a quality product (so much so that I have promoted it to many friends and acquaintences, more than any other software I can think of), I'd have to find an alternative password solution, meaning that I wouldn't need any of the other, officially-supported, platform licenses.

My only complaint in this thread is about the lack of proactiveness, considering you are, I imagine, gaining a great deal from the Wine developers. They are very happy to fix any bugs causing you problems, but only if you meet them half way by providing enough information (ie. a complete bug report).

Also, I don't think that it's necessary to provide testing for each minor release of Wine on a continuing basis. There just needs to be a complete report relevant to the latest release at the time that the report is submitted.

You can of course contact me, but the Wine team seem very friendly and happy to help with any questions in the freenode channel, and I'm not sure I could offer any better information than they could.

Thank you again. I look forward to seeing any updates in the future via this thread.

• MikeT
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi @PaulD,

. For instance, I have several licenses for Windows that I use for a Linux system (under Wine), a Windows 7 Virtual Machine running as a guest on that system and a couple of Windows standalone machines.

I'm not sure what you mean by several licenses, I hope you didn't buy each one separately. You only need a single license for all of your PCs including Linux and virtual machines. Our license are per user/per platform, not per machine. You can use the same license on any number of PCs and virtual machines you have as long as you're the only 1Password user.

In addition, we now also lets you share your single user license with up to 5 family members in the same household, each family member can use it on any numbers of PCs/VMs and so on.

We also sell bundle licenses at our store that lets you combine both Mac and Windows platforms in the same license, meaning you can use the same license for any number of Macs and Windows PCs you and your family (in the same household) uses.

However, you ought to recognise that you are not only benefitting from sales of Windows versions of 1Password for use on Linux under Wine, but also licenses for all the other platforms that those customers own.

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say here. Each customer pays for the platform license they're using and that goes into the development of the product, the customer service behind the product, and so on. One platform does not affect the other platform, we have separate teams with separate resources and dedicated customer service teams behind it. All of the different platforms requires a lot of resources for us to ensure full time native development with a full time customer support helping our customers.

• PaulD
    PaulD
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

@MikeT - yes, I have the 5-license Windows+Mac bundle (two generations), and an Android license. At some point, it's probable that I'll get an iOS license.

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say here

Seriously? :/ I feel like you are forcing me to labour the point...

For me, if it wasn't possible to run 1Password on Linux, and if it wasn't for the Wine team's (free to you) work, you would have lost out on my, and others', revenue. Surely, this is worth the few hours per year that it would take for one of your team to make sure the Wine tickets are being managed properly, and are not needlessly blocked by poor information?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015
    Options

@PaulD: As MikeT already noted, we plan to coordinate with the WINE team on this, and we do apologize if you feel you were misled.

However, the irony that these statements (regarding bug tracking and communication with the WINE developers) may be misconstrued and used against AgileBits in the future does not escape me. Someone may point at posts in this thread one day to demonstrate that we are encouraging Linux users to buy 1Password by publicly stating that we will try to coordinate with the WINE team. And that saddens me.

I find it disheartening that helping folks on a support forum by providing them with information (or links to same) might be discouraged in the future. In this case, it was mentioned that some users have been successful using 1Password on Linux using WINE. I think it is unfair to characterize this as promotion. And the alternative would be to ignore the question and not provide someone with useful information we have that -- in theory -- doesn't cost us anything. Yet when the sharing of information elicits these types of accusations, it certainly feels like it has a cost after all. This can have a chilling effect.

I don't want to pick on anyone in particular here, so I'll just point out that most large software companies won't even acknowledge that something like WINE or Crossover exist, much less point you in that direction if you want to run their software on another platform. That's because they have lots of lawyers. And isn't free software a direct response to the over-lawyering of intellectual property? I feel confident saying that this isn't the direction we want to go.

While I acknowledge that AgileBits is a for-profit software company and values intellectual property, we have products that we sell in order to continue to actively develop and support our software...and make a living doing it. It seems to me that information in the more abstract sense is something that we enjoy offering freely. When someone contacts us with an issue they're having and it turns out it that it isn't a 1Password problem, we try to help if we can or -- at the very least -- point them in the right direction to get the help they need. But each time we try to help and catch flak for doing so, that gets a little harder. And I think that's a shame.

I realize that "we do not support 1Password on Linux" is not the answer you wanted to hear, but let's not begrudge others their answers.

• PaulD
    PaulD
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty That is, quite possibly, the most ridiculous response I've read in this forum, and it shows that you did not comprehend anything I've said. In particular, this:

I know your company's stance regarding Wine, and I understand that it's a tricky balance. I'm not suggesting that you should start officially supporting Wine (I realise that's not realistic or feasible).

Seriously, I give up!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@PaulD unfortunately, you've done exactly the same thing. Granted, @brenty probably said too much rather than making targeted comments, but the key part which you missed is this:

However, the irony that these statements (regarding bug tracking and communication with the WINE developers) may be misconstrued and used against AgileBits in the future does not escape me. Someone may point at posts in this thread one day to demonstrate that we are encouraging Linux users to buy 1Password by publicly stating that we will try to coordinate with the WINE team. And that saddens me.

This is exactly what you did; imply some tacit approval of something based on an attempt to help a customer use an unsupported platform.

• PaulD
    PaulD
    Community Member
    Options

Granted, @brenty probably said too much rather than making targeted comments

On that we agree - he said way too much.

Someone may point at posts in this thread one day to demonstrate that we are encouraging Linux users to buy 1Password by publicly stating that we will try to coordinate with the WINE team

If someone did that, then they have not read this thread carefully enough. Personally, I don't think that's likely to happen, as the situation is clear. Again...

I'm not suggesting that you should start officially supporting Wine (I realise that's not realistic or feasible).

What annoys me is when people benefit from open source software without giving anything back. "Contributing" does not have to mean money donations, official endorsement, technical support or source code commits, although they would obviously be appreciated. The minimum that's expected is to file a quality report, once(!), whenever you discover a bug. In addition, it's good to check on it every so often (I'd suggest every 3 to 6 months) to confirm that nothing is blocking it.

Until now, the Agilebits team has done very little, but the suggestions that it will be more proactive in future are encouraging.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

You seem to be working on the assumption that any company whose users make use of WINE have some sort of moral obligation imposed on them to contribute, even in a small way. That is absolutely not that case and this sort of attitude is why many companies are wary of OSS and the GPL; they fear it carries obligation in an infectious manner.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015
    Options

We will fix this problem with concealed passwords and then stop suggesting to our customers that they can use WINE.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

We will fix this problem with concealed passwords and then stop suggesting to our customers that they can use WINE.

God damn it. :(

• MikeT
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi guys,

This should now be fixed in the latest beta version of 1Password (4.3.1 beta 559), it would help us if you can confirm this in your WINE setup.

• PaulD
    PaulD
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm that it's fixed in version 4.3.1.560

• LauraR
    Options

@PaulD - thanks for confirming this.

This discussion has been closed.