.htaccesss and 1Password browser

Options
littlebobbytables
littlebobbytables
1Password Alumni

So I've stumbled upon what looks like a bit of an issue. I use .htaccess to limit access to a small portion of my own site. If I visit it in Safari on either OS X or iOS I get the little dialog for the username and password. I enter my details and I'm taken to the page. So far as expected.

Not so with the built-in browser in 1Password 4.5.3. It just sits there like it's waiting for a response from the web site and the next thing you know, my host has IP banned me! It took me a while to figure that one out I can tell you but until I did I couldn't access my site, the control panel or pull any email as my iPhone had been behind my router and so my home IP address was the one banned.

Having figured out how to remove the ban I found I could replicate it. Check IP address - no ban. Try to access the url protected via .htaccess? IP address is banned and no dialog for authentication was presented by the built-in browser.

The error message was something along the lines of 30 failed attempts in 3600 seconds but really it only seemed to take about 5 seconds.

This one should be pretty easy to replicate but if you need more details just yell.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables‌

I'm sorry to hear that you got locked out of your site - that's no good! Our developers are working on rewriting the guts of 1Browser for the next iOS update, and this re-write should help to squash this bug.

In the meantime, it might be best to stick with mobile Safari when using .htaccess sites, just to be safe. I do apologize for the inconvenience!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks Megan. With the work being done on a Safari extension for iOS 8 does Agilebits foresee a 1Browser at all?

Mostly I just wanted to give a heads up. My situation probably isn't all that common but at least there's a record of it now if anybody else is searching along these lines.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables‌

It's true, iOS 8 does change the game significantly, by allowing third party extensions. However, I do not know of any immediate plans to discontinue 1Browser.

• coyotek9
    coyotek9
    Community Member
    Options

I just started. I'm so glad this post is here. I've been trying to get help/answers to the same issue.

So is there a way for 1password to work with my .htaccess login window?

• Ben
    Options

Only via copy/paste at this time. Sorry there isn't currently an easier method.

This discussion has been closed.