multiple devices

Options
gruters
gruters
Community Member

Elementary, I'm sure (so I'm sorry to have to ask):
Just made gigantic move from PC to Apple. Have 4 devices: mac, iPad, iPhone, iPhone. All but one iPhone is on the same Apple account (wife's phone is 'solo' in the iCloud, therefore with a separate Apple account and log-in). I understand that in order to utilize 1Password, I need 1 product for the Mac OS and 1 for iOS (a total of 2 separate products for 3 devices). Do I, though, need a 3rd, separate product for the 'other' iPhone which is on a different Apple account (different App Store account)?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

Yes, if the other iPhone is on a separate AppleID for purposes of purchases on the App Store, you will need a separate purchase for that. Apple ties its licensing to the AppleID under which applications are purchased. If you can share the same AppleID for the purchase, you can use it on all the iOS devices that use that ID.

Your wife could sign off of her account and login with your AppleID. Then she could download the application, but she won't get update notices if she returns to her own account.

This might improve with the next update of iOS and OS X when family sharing will allow as many as six users to share applications and media, as long as all accounts use the same credit card. Exactly how that will be implemented isn't clear to me, and I don't know if vendors will have to opt in for that to be possible.

• gruters
    gruters
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Hawkmoth. That's how I was understanding it, but wasn't sure, being new to the game. That is very helpful....

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gruters,

On @hawkmoth's behalf, you're welcome. Congratulations on your mega-migration from PC to Apple! :)

There's more information about current Apple ID usage in this Apple article:

Using your Apple ID for Apple services

And here are a couple about upcoming Family Sharing:

Apple - iOS 8 - Family Sharing

A Guide to Family Sharing - iCloud - Apple Developer

I hope that also helps. :)

This discussion has been closed.