where are 1Password 4 files located on mac?

zraven
zraven
Community Member

I recently did a fresh install of OSX Mavericks, and i've reinstalled 1password 4. However i can't find where my old files were stored? I did not do any backups, or use it on my iphone/ipad. I'm looking to find the files in my time machine backups, but i have no idea where it might be. other searches have stated the /library/application support/1password folder, but that folder doesnt' exist in my time machine backups. any help?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    1. 1P4 makes automatic backups so you should have those if you look in the right place.
    2. If you purchased from the Mac App Store your data file is here: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/OnePassword.sqlite.
    3. If you purchased directly from the Agile webstore your data file is here: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password\ 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite.

In either case you should find a backup folder in the same general location.

Stephen

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @zraven,

1Password 4 for Mac stores its data in a different location (under your home folder) depending on which version you're using.

Agile Web Store version:
    ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4

Mac App Store version:
    ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

Here's how you can locate it in Time Machine:

1. Open a Finder window
    2. Mount the drive for the Time Machine backup so you can see it in the list on the left
    3. You should see the name of the hard drive from the previous installation (usually Macintosh HD)
    4. Inside that you should find a folder named Users
    5. Inside of that you should find a folder named after the username of the user you used previously
    6. Once in that folder, press Command-Shift-G, then type in Library and click Go.
    7. Inside there you should see the two folders above (Application Support and Containers)
    8. If you used 1Password 4 from our Agile Web Store you'll look in the Application Support/1Password 4 location
    9. If you used 1Password 4 from the Mac App Store you'll look in the Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper location

You should find your 1Password data under one of those two folders. There may also be a Backups folder that contains backups, which you could copy to your Desktop and restore from.

I hope that helps. If you need more assistance with this please let us know!

• slumper
    slumper
    Community Member

HELP HELP HELP ... I can't find my data by any of the above paths. I've had 1Password since version 2, downloaded from Agile. Updates could possibly been down through the Apple App Store. It does not show under ~/Library/Application Support/ or ~/Library/Containers as there is no Containers folder. When I open Keychains Access, I have a keychain named 1Password, which is locked and I'm unable to open, asks for a password, and accepts none.

• slumper
    slumper
    Community Member

Was able to find the file by using "Show Files" from Backups but still have a problems. If I open a finder window, the "Library" folder does not show. Appears to be a hidden folder when shown from "Show Files" How can this be corrected?

• slumper
    slumper
    Community Member

Have figured out how to show hidden folders, all set now.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @slumper,

I'm glad you've got this sorted out! Please let us know if you'd like help with anything else; we're here for you. :)

• leahf
    leahf
    Community Member

I cannot seem to restore from backup off Time Machine. I was able to follow the instructions listed by sjk on Jul 14, in order to locate the files, but... all the files I have located show up in a faint gray and will not let me select them. Are they locked? Also, the last backup listed appears to be Oct 10, even though I updated about 20 different passwords on Oct 11. I am freaking out here. HELP!

• leahf
    leahf
    Community Member

I just figured it out! On the initial screen that 1Password shows to restore from backup, I was able to locate the files by clicking on "restore from Mac" instead of "restore from Time Machine." After clicking through into my Mac, I located the Time Machine and found the files per instructions by sjk listed above. I restored from the original file rather than the backups, since the original was the latest file. Yay! I am so happy!

• Thanks for the update @leahf‌

This discussion has been closed.