iOS sync via Wi-Fi?

Options
icl
icl
Community Member

I have just purchased the latest version of 1Password for iOS. I am trying to sync my secondary vault from my mac to my iPad and it seems I can only do it by using drop box. As I do not want to use Dropbox and, more importantly, I do not want my password databases to leave my home network, is there a way to do this locally (i.e. using Wi-Fi, or another method)?

Thanks

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi @icl,

Thanks so much for your support of 1Password! Unfortunately, at this time, it is only possible to sync primary vaults via Wi-Fi.

Please note that 1Password 4 was initially released without Wi-Fi sync. Users told us that they really missed this feature, so we brought it back. This does mean though, that there has been considerably less time to develop Wi-Fi sync compared to what we have had to polish up Dropbox and iCloud sync. There's still some room for improvement. :)

I'd be happy to mention to our developers that you're keen to see Wi-Fi sync for secondary vaults available soon!

In the meantime though, Dropbox is our most flexible sync option.

internal reference number: OPI-687

• icl
    icl
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,
    Is there any way to sync secondary vaults without the encrypted file leaving my local network? Or is Dropbox the only method?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Dropbox is the only way (at the moment and with no roadmap disclosed as to future possibilities). WiFi sync is for the primary vault only with certain issues currently regarding attachments. iTunes file sync was recently lost and I believe should no longer be considered an option. While syncing a secondary vault via iTunes file sync was meant to be possible there was a bug and I don't believe it ever worked.

My solution isn't going to be to everybody's taste nor practical. I have a single secondary vault and all items inside are tagged with tags uniques to that vault. When I need to sync I copy everything from the secondary vault to the primary, sync, copy back to the secondary (for instances where the updates were on the iOS device) and then delete entries for those tags.

The result? 1Password OS X has a primary and secondary vault while my iPhone has a single primary vault. Ideal? not in the slightest but it'll have to do until a non-cloud option is offered up.

Given all vaults are primarily stored locally in an encrypted sqlite file in 1Password, hopefully they will sort out WiFi syncing for all of us that prefer not to use Dropbox or similar.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @icl,

At this time, secondary vaults will need to be synced using Dropbox. We're working to provide users with additional options in the future, but unfortunately I can't provide much more information than that at this time.

This discussion has been closed.