While waiting for 1PW for Kindle, which other one actually works in use?

Options
gorham
gorham
Community Member
edited July 2014 in Android

First off, I'm allergic to clouds; just prefer not to use that avenue.

That said, I've been trying various password managers to use on my Kindle Fire HDx whilst waiting for a working Kindle version of 1Password (a real app, not the reader). I've found that data entry and/or import is reasonably easy (as is true of Reader). But I have yet to try one that functions well in day-to-day use. I guess multi-tasking is the issue but, is anyone using a non-cloud manager that's reasonably easy to access log-ins without having to back out of my target site?

I know I haven't explained this well. You have my respect - and sympathy - if you actually understand what I'm asking. Still, I really will appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks.

-G.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gorham‌,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us! I moved your post to the Android Beta category. I hope it becomes clear why in a second. :)

1Password 4 for Android (the all-new version that is far more than just a reader) should work on your device. We just haven't put 1Password 4 for Android for sale on the Amazon Appstore at this time. One of the reasons we haven't done so at this time is to allow for the free trial (which requires the in-app purchase feature available on Google Play but, as far as I understand, not on Amazon Appstore).

It is important to many users to have a chance to try before purchasing, but it is also important to have access to your passwords everywhere. To that end, we’re looking into what it will take to make the Amazon Appstore a viable distribution channel for 1Password 4 for Android . In the meantime, you can have access by installing the 1Password 4 for Android beta directly. You can sign up for the 1Password 4 for Android beta channel program here:

https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/androidnewsletter.html

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• samtheboo
    samtheboo
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

@khad‌ You can utilize in-app purchases on the Amazon Appstore.

(If you have an Android device, download the Amazon Appstore, and then download Temple Run 2, and try to buy Usain Bolt. Magic!)

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

Argh! Never mind. There doesn't seem to be a way to delete this so I'll update at the top. I (duh) remembered the keychain and figured out where to put it. And darned if it didn't work! So all seems to be well just now. :D

Well! I finally have 1password 4 for Android installed on my Kindle. I'm not too comfortable about all the permissions I seemed to be granting as I installed Google apps but that's for another discussion. I can't seem to figure out where to locate my data on the Kindle. I've generated an export comma delineated file although I'm not sure that's what I need at this point. But I also don't know where to put it. I've gotten to the point where Kindle-1pw sets up sync using local storage. I click that and then it asks me to select vault. This becomes un-intuitive. No matter where I try to select my location, I get the error message: "A 1Password vault wasn't found in the folder. Please check that you have the correct location". Well, patently I don't. But I have no idea what I'm doing now anyway and there doesn't seem to be a roadmap. @khad, if you're "listening", I surely could use some help. I'd hate to be thwarted now! 8-)

• saad
    Options

Hi @gorham. It sounds like you might be trying to sync to a .1pif folder instead of a .agilekeychain. I explained the difference between both formats in this post. Could you let me know what other devices you are using 1Password on? I'd be happy to guide you through exporting your .agilekeychain to your Kindle so we can set up sync.

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member
    Options

Right. As I explained above (probably we were posting at the same time), I did remember the keychain and solved my own problem. It seems we can't delete posts so I amended mine as best I could. Sorry for the confusion.

-G.

• saad
    Options

No problem @gorham! I'm very happy to hear you managed to resolve the issue. :) Let us know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.