Find My iPhone now free in iOS 4.2

khad
khad
1Password Alumni
edited November 2010 in iOS
Good news for users concerned about their iOS device(s) being lost or stolen (and their 1Password data going missing):

The Find My iPhone (for iPad or iPod touch) feature is now free to use without a MobileMe℠ subscription and helps you locate your missing device.* The Find My iPhone app is a free download on the App Store℠ and lets users easily locate a missing device on a map and have it display a message or play a sound. Users can even remotely lock or wipe data from a lost device to protect privacy.

The feature appears to be linked with the latest iOS 4.2 update but the "fine print" stipulates:

*The free Find My iPhone feature is [only] available for iPhone 4, iPad or new iPod touch (4th generation).

I guess we can't complain if it's free, but it would have been cool to make this available to all iOS 4.2 users.

More details about the feature can be found on Apple's Find My iPhone page.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Interesting update from Macworld:

According to Apple, "Once you create an account on a qualifying device, use your Apple ID and password to enable Find My iPhone on your other devices running iOS 4.2." So as long as your household has one current-generation device, you can use the feature on all your devices running iOS 4.2.

Cool! :-)
This discussion has been closed.